Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Disstevefan1

I thought I read a while back about the initial colors; how it was a big deal and how they did research on what colors to use for various reasons?
Anyway, I have no preference, my only want would be they are clear and readable, day, dusk and night and don't fade over time.

James Alucobond

The question is…

why?
I mean, if the question is, "Why [before doing other things]?" I agree, but the general reasoning should be fairly obvious since the existing signage no longer matched any of the repainted transportation areas and entrance decor.

EDIT: Sorry, wrote that while you were replying above.

I wonder about the visibility of these signs. There’s a reason the old signs were purple and standard highway signs are brighter colors and shades. Add in some rain or fog and that looks like it’ll be hard to see.
Mile marker, rest area, and restaurant signage has been more or less universally blue and white for ages with no visibility issues. I'm sure it'll be fine. Additionally, I would think that having the blue a bit darker would actually enhance color contrast in poor conditions even if it detracts from the initial eye-catch.

techgeek

Well, once they finish this project, marketing will be able to include new directional signage on the ‘20 reasons to visit again in 2023!’ list. So there’s that.

mightynine

Been expecting this ever since they moved away from that color scheme in other areas of Disney Transport. Honestly surprised they went with Interstate as the font rather than something distinctive, though.

EDIT: Check that, looks like the signs use Adobe's Expressway, which is very similar to Interstate/Highway Gothic.

EDIT 2: A look at the original signage project from the designers. I don't recall the Mickey face peeking over the sign shown in the examples.

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Most of the signs are on RCID roadways, so RCID. But RCID gets most of their funding from property taxes on Disney.... They might have gotten some federal highway dollars though.
That was my thought if they can pass the cost off to RCID then use highway dollars. Regardless it still seems like a waste. The signs were fine, iconic, and a part of the history of the resort so why change?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wonder about the visibility of these signs. There’s a reason the old signs were purple and standard highway signs are brighter colors and shades. Add in some rain or fog and that looks like it’ll be hard to see.

What I remember reading is that the road signs were purple was for a very specific readability reason.

I'm fine with the blue and gold color scheme, like on the signs at the TTC, but it should not be on the road signs just because some art school grad-yoo-ate thinks they need to have coordinated color schemes all over the place.

DrewmanS

While the old signs may have been iconic, I would guess the change has more to do with safety than matching colors of entryways (of course I could be wrong). I happen to be red-green color deficient (most people call this color blind, which means I have difficulty seeing certain colors in a field of another). When on highways, it is easy to pick up informational signs that are blue (for me they stand out more than green directional signs). To my eye, the new color scheme makes the signs stand out more and the color contrast and font make it much easier to read. I don't know if this applies in this case, but green street signs usually refer to public maintained roads and blue indicates private roads.

I was told one time that WDW does not put up a bunch of "keep out" road signs because that just encourages people to explore. Instead, roads for cast members only are usually narrow, winding, with less signage. This gives a driver a sense of unease and discourages people from continuing down the path. These new signs look familiar to drivers, may be easier to see, and provide for a more standard way-finding (once all signs are updated).

Brer Oswald

I think Disney hates personality or something. Aside from being a very bland and unappealing color scheme, the words don’t seem to pop as much off the new background color, as opposed to the purple. The lettering also appears to be thinner, though I’m not sure if it actually is, or it’s just a byproduct of the new color. Not sure what they were thinking here, but it’s in line with most of their recent confusing changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom