News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

RollerCoaster

Some excerpts from an OCR article highlighting the renovation of the Magic Key Terrace -

"A hacienda hideaway that started life as a wine country restaurant high above Disney California Adventure will soon be transformed into a Club 33-style hangout where Disneyland Magic Key passholders can relax and reenergize after a long day at the Anaheim theme park.

Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland crews began work Monday, Jan. 24 on a renovation of the Magic Key Terrace at Disney California Adventure that is expected to be completed in late spring.

Magic Key Terrace will remain open throughout the renovation with sections closed and capacity reduced on occasion during the project.

What a joke! Disney is desperately trying to spin this into something that it is not. Any Magic Key holder who thinks they're getting a true Club 33 is a fool.

The thing that makes Club 33 special will be totally missing from this place- "Exclusivity"

TP2000

Some excerpts from an OCR article highlighting the renovation of the Magic Key Terrace -

"A hacienda hideaway that started life as a wine country restaurant high above Disney California Adventure will soon be transformed into a Club 33-style hangout where Disneyland Magic Key passholders can relax and reenergize after a long day at the Anaheim theme park.

Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland crews began work Monday, Jan. 24 on a renovation of the Magic Key Terrace at Disney California Adventure that is expected to be completed in late spring.

Magic Key Terrace will remain open throughout the renovation with sections closed and capacity reduced on occasion during the project.

The renovated Magic Key Terrace will serve as a hidden respite for annual passholders much like the private, members-only Club 33 at Disneyland and 1901 Lounge at Disney California Adventure.

“When we started our Magic Key program, the park decided that it would be a really great thing to have a location for them that they could call their own, kind of like Club 33 has their own location,” Walt Disney Imagineering’s Kim Irvine said. “Now the Magic Key members have the same thing which is really wonderful.”

While the renovated Magic Key Terrace won’t offer the same elevated level of service and privileges as Club 33, the passholder lounge will be a hidden, private, exclusive, members-only, second-story hangout just like the famed spot above New Orleans Square."

"The Magic Key Terrace renovation will add new furniture, lighting fixtures, draperies, tile work, stained glass and murals inspired by a pair of adorable animal mascots.

”We wanted to make sure it was a very special place for Magic Key members,” Irvine said during an online video interview. “We spent a lot of time on the detail, mood, environment and energy of the place.”

The passholder bar and eatery will expand from the terrace on the second floor of the Golden Vine Winery into the former dining room of the Vineyard Room restaurant once run by the Robert Mondavi Winery when DCA opened in February 2001."

"Imagineering created a new backstory for the Magic Key Terrace as a beautiful hacienda recently purchased by a young couple that wants to keep the charm of the old place while adding some comfortable contemporary touches.

The redesign will keep the beige adobe plaster walls and hacienda architectural styling while adding a contemporary splash of saturated blues, turquoises and greens.

Climbing vines and banana trees will surround a gurgling wall fountain. Floor-to-ceiling drapes will help soften the sound in the covered lounge area. Wrought iron lighting fixtures will brighten the space. Palm trees in tall vases will serve as accents."

"The covered lounge and uncovered terrace will have animal mascots that serve as design inspiration for each space. A proud peacock will serve as the mascot for the covered lounge while a fan-favorite cat will represent the uncovered terrace. Imagineering has had custom Mexican tile made with peacock and cat designs that will line the columns in each room interspersed with other accent tiles.

The covered lounge will have teak high-top tables along the arched windows for watching parades, nighttime spectaculars and the world pass by. Stained-glass windows with the peacock motif will replace dark brown shutters that were added to help reduce a regular breeze that tended to blow napkins off of the tables.

The uncovered terrace will have lower lounge chairs and coffee tables made of teak wood with furniture pads in the blue, turquoise and green color palette. The space is being designed as a “super comfortable” hangout for keyholders.

“It’s very much meant for sitting and chatting about your day, sharing photos and really enjoying the space and not feeling rushed,” Irvine said."

Ah. So they made the old Vineyard Room into a Passholder Lounge.

Leave it to TDA and Kim Irvine to turn that sentence into a convoluted backstory and explanation. :rolleyes:

SuddenStorm

Honestly, Disney should be shying away from using Club 33 in their marketing.

I mean the whole mystique of the place is how exclusive it is, how little is known about it by the general populace. It caters to a different clientele than the rest of the resort. Using it in marketing kind of cheapens that in my opinion.

Sort of like how overstated the redesigned entrance is from a few years ago. It meant more when it was a "blink and you'll miss it" discreet door that no one would think twice about. Now it's obvious there's something there.

But hey, Kim has her name all over this so I'm not surprised I don't like how Disney's handling it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Honestly, Disney should be shying away from using Club 33 in their marketing.

I mean the whole mystique of the place is how exclusive it is, how little is known about it by the general populace. It caters to a different clientele than the rest of the resort. Using it in marketing kind of cheapens that in my opinion.

Sort of like how overstated the redesigned entrance is from a few years ago. It meant more when it was a "blink and you'll miss it" discreet door that no one would think twice about. Now it's obvious there's something there.

But hey, Kim has her name all over this so I'm not surprised I don't like how Disney's handling it.
Is Club 33 really that unknown amongst park-goers?

Do they really need to keep up a mystique? Last I heard, they have a lengthy waiting-list to join, even as its existence is more widely known.

Can't brag about belonging to an exclusive club if you can't talk about the exclusive club.

smooch

It's a way to make the passholders feel special like they're part of an exclusive club. No shame to the passholders, I would love to own one if I lived close enough, but the ones who feel like they're better than everyone else / superior for paying for a pass are so tiring.

Phroobar

So have these kind of people returned?

download.jpg

TP2000

"Imagineering created a new backstory for the Magic Key Terrace as a beautiful hacienda recently purchased by a young couple that wants to keep the charm of the old place while adding some comfortable contemporary touches."

Oh, thank God. I was afraid it would just be a nice AP lounge in the old Vineyard Room. :rolleyes:

TP2000

I remember being at the park in 2015 with my family and there were people with these denim jackets with a patch saying "Walt's Nomads" and we were just cracking up.

"Look how tough I am going to this family theme park".

It's one of those things where we're going to look back on the 2010's and laugh our heads off. 🤣

My sense is that they went away. They had already died off quite a bit by 2019, before the long Covid closure.

Their heyday seemed to be about 2012 to 2016, as I remember.

CaptinEO

It's one of those things where we're going to look back on the 2010's and laugh our heads off. 🤣

My sense is that they went away. They had already died off quite a bit by 2019, before the long Covid closure.

Their heyday seemed to be about 2012 to 2016, as I remember.
I think so too! The whole era was really silly. Your timeline seems about right.

Didn't the park management interfere a couple years ago for some reason? I remember reading an article about Disney getting involved due to a gang getting mad at another gang because the Alice in Wonderland ride was their turf.

Imagine fighting someone at a themepark over a children's ride you dont even own.

CaptinEO

Can't find the article but I found this hilarious one from 2018 about a Disney social club asking another social club for 500 dollars for protection money.

I can't even make this stuff up.

Phroobar

I think so too! The whole era was really silly. Your timeline seems about right.

Didn't the park management interfere a couple years ago for some reason? I remember reading an article about Disney getting involved due to a gang getting mad at another gang because the Alice in Wonderland ride was their turf.

Imagine fighting someone at a themepark over a children's ride you dont even own.
We fight each other right here over even stupider things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom