One Little Spark 3: The Spark Squad - Main Competition Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
678.png
Chinatown does sound like a good idea though, there's still 90 minutes to re-write.

TheOriginalTiki

Team C Presents: San Francisco - A New Paradise Bay Expansion
71bY3HOOn9L._AC_SY355_.jpg

San Francisco is a city that exists in California. While most of DCA either represents the redwoods of NorCal or the beaches and Hollywood vistas of SoCal, this city is a legendary example of a location that's never had much representation in the park until now. Taking over the entire post-Pixar Pier side of Paradise Pier starting from Emotional Whirlwind and ending at World of Color, San Francisco promises several different flavors of the city by the bay wrapped into one awesome land.

Inside Out Gardens
1642818170081-png.615618

shutterstock_610336088.jpg

Bewilder in the emotive & inspiring Inside Out Gardens, a colorful abstract garden home to striking sculpture, dancing waterworks, and the capacity for our deepest thoughts and most wide-ranging emotions. Or, to disambiguate, I opened the thesaurus for this one.

The garden is centered around five colorful sculptures, each thematically tied to the emotion their color represents: red is anger, yellow joy, green disgust, blue sadness, and purple our deepest fears. For example, the red sculpture (anger) is boldly geometric, while the yellow sculpture (joy) is flowing and lively. By unifying the sculptures adorning the garden, we can bask in a unitary celebration of what these emotions represent: for, as Riley learned in the film, each of our many emotions serves us a much-needed purpose in our lives, one incomplete without the others.

The garden is structured around organic, fluid paths, much like our own emotions. Near the front of the garden's Pixar Pier entrance is a stone-and-marble colored-water-fountain, warmly welcoming us to the plaza. Statues of Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger, and Fear pose in accordance to their respective names. Around the five emotions, the fountain springs alternate amongst the five colors denominating the emotions of Inside Out, with each color reacting accordingly -- Anger strikes loud and bold jet streams, Joy trumpets of excitable energy, and Sadness bursting streams downward, like rivers of tears dancing down the spring path.

Also dotting the organic plain are a series of colored spheres resembling the "core memories" of Inside Out. These small, plastic-ball-like sculptures can, like the greater sculptures, be climbed, jumped, and explored by younger guests, while parents seize the moment for a much-needed rest beside shady trees.

Along the edge of the gardens rests Riley's Pizzeria, an amiable pizzeria that is in many ways only an extension of the gardens it borders. The pizzeria is an excellent opportunity to sit among the gardens, with its counter-service and open-floorplan design inviting all who stop for a visit. The Pizzeria, a byproduct of Riley's imaginary "ideal pizzeria" replaces the dull "broccoli-only" pizzeria with a menu for anyone's favorite a possibility -- featuring rather than one every possible combination one could imagine. From classic staples (Pepperoni!) to controversial comforts (Pineapple?) if you can dream it, you can have it! Because if it's not on the dozen pre-made specials, pizza lovers can create their own custom pie from the multitudes of possible toppings and combos -- simply say the words, pay our bill, and your dream will come true!

In summarization, the bountiful Inside Out Gardens and adjoining Riley's Pizzeria will make for a wonderful transition between Disney California Adventure's "Pixar Pier" and new "San Francisco" themed lands. We look forward to your visit!

Chinatown
shutterstock_1006629742.14.jpg

Silly Symphony Swings will be removed from the pier to make way for the iconic dragon gates entrance into San Francisco's Chinatown. This area will be the main heart of the SF expansion featuring both World Showcase style adventures in shopping and dining as well as a paper lanterns flat ride and the Fireworks Factory coaster. Wandering this new area should give you a feeling of authenticity and rich cultural heritage. The Dragon's Teahouse will be a table service with five central areas of a central room along one main stage, Fire, Wood, Metal, Water, and Earth. These all have colors and props to accentuate the elemental theme. Every 20 minutes there is an AA show featuring Master Kong, best known to westerners as Confucius, a Living Character able to answer questions and enlighten these hungry and weary travelers. The variety of dishes areas mentioned, dim sum, small appetizer-sized dishes like soup dumplings and spare ribs, all washed down with tea, be it iced or hot.

There will also be a Joy of Tea like cart called the Lucky Cricket with a very loose Mulan thee and color scheme, reds and blues, and a small motion AA Cri-Kee in a cage hanging from the kitchen inside the cart. This will mostly serve boba teas and snacks like pork buns and mooncakes, stuff that's easy to prep/keep warm. As part of the Chinatown section, the old Jumpin' Jellyfish ride will be retheme to the iconic Chinese Lantern. The queue and ride are now set in a small Chinese garden that lie behind a row of small storefronts, with the vehicles resembling lanterns while the towers are inspired by Chinese pagodas. The storefronts, aside from helping maintaining the Chinatown theming by partially hiding the ride without comprising the view from the top, also function as store booths, selling traditional Chinese goods. To accommodate this with taking too much walking space, the ride and queue will be moved closer to the water, taking up the space formally occupied by the faux beach theming.
1642807710988-jpeg.615558

Fireworks Factory
gjs464.jpg

Nestled in the corner of Chinatown is a rather ominous and shady looking pagoda structure that houses the infamous Fireworks Factory. This is a very simple indoor spinning wild mouse replacing Goofy's Sky School. Guests come face to face with a number of practical effects including spinning pinwheels and whizzing sparklers. The track design is a very basic out and back with the experience essentially feeling like a more souped up and Disney-fied version of the Dark Knight coasters at Six Flags parks where it's a wild mouse in a box with fun special effects along the way. The Fireworks Factory promises to be a low key but worthy anchor to the Chinatown attraction roster.

The World of Color viewing area will be rethemed and renamed in honor of Crissy Field, the famous patch of lawn which a World's Fair once stood and which still offers some of the best views of Alcatraz in the real city. Finally at the end of the pier in the site formerly home to Ariel's Undersea Adventure is 1906, a grand new dark ride in the Marc Davis style that aims to showcase in a slightly tongue and cheek way the epic scale of the disaster that went down during the great quake. Set in a faux exterior of the Legion of Honor museum, 1906 (VERY loosely based on what would have been Pixar's scrapped first live action project) takes you from a museum exhibit showcasing the earthquake in the queue to living out the event on the ride.

legionhonor.png

The ride track and layout is actually left over from Mermaid to save money, though the cars will be souped up to now be chains of cable cars fitting 4-6 people per car. This means less overall cars on the Omnimover chain but greater overall capacity compared to the classic clamshells. The ride begins by taking you underneath the museum and seeing the bowels of the city being shaken to their very foundation, to the point where the opening scene makes it pretty clear the very building were under is threatening to topple over any minute.

The Under the Sea room is now themed to Golden Gate Park and all the mass chaos of the quake. Hot dog stands and balloon carts have been toppled over, dogs have escaped their owners and are barking in unison, the very floor beneath us is starting to crack as park goers scramble to make sense of the destruction. The room formally occupied by Ursula now features a row of famous hillside SF houses all toppling in on each other, and threatening to topple on to us in the process. In the former Kiss the Girl room we see even more destruction as a forced perspective Golden Gate Bridge shakes in the distance in our fake view of they bay, roughly from Crissy Field.

The final room is the Palace of Fine Arts, a famously untouched landmark through all the destruction...or at least the iconic dome that's still standing to this day. In this scene we see the palace on fire using dramatic Pirates style lighting and fans. Firefighters are desperately trying to put out the flames. Meanwhile we see other citizens of SF like doctors and veterinarians tending to the injured people and animals underneath the dome, the dome itself being a symbol of hope and rebirth among the carnage. Overall 1906 promises to be a very solid original D-Ticket adventure that will feel much more in place within the park than Mermaid ever did.
1298039_041816-kgo-1906-sf-great-quake-img_Image_16-47-07,03.jpg
Final edits made

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Fantastic work everyone!

I am grabbing food and will start reading all the projects! I hope to have me full reviews written up before I go to bed, but with an 11 hour shift yesterday and a 12 hour shift tomorrow they might be sliiightly delayed. But I will at least have short reviews tonight and will send my rankings to Tegan!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
--Reviews!--

Team A

I absolutely adore the idea behind this project! A "road trip" land that builds on the naturalistic style of Grizzly Peak and perfectly transitions to the Pier is incredible, unique, and perfect for California Adventure! It feels like the best of DCA 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 combined! The only real issue here is with cohesiveness. I adore the Goofy Movie dark ride and how it builds and expands on that film's "Toon World" by tying in some subtle Roger Rabbit stuff. But that feels a bit too Toon Town when the other anchor is a coaster through a realistic, natural environment. I adore Pacific CoastUR by the way! Perhaps if the land was designed to be more realistic near Grizzly Peak and then got more "toon" as it got closer to the Pier? Or perhaps the coaster was more toony? Either way, these are minor nitpicks in an amazing project full of passion! I didn't really mention California Bears, but they are amazing and the art is great! The theming on Sugar Bowl Bakery was a nice touch too. Adds some great realism and really captures the vibe of classic DCA without the negatives associated with that. The hot air balloon is a nice touch too, but maybe not realistic with Anaheim's rules? Idk. But I'm not that picky on realism for that to matter. Especially not this early in the game. Great trash Can btw. Gotta have some garbage!

Team B

Chimera Manor could really be DCA's Mystic Manor! An excellent ride that pushes dark ride's forward without being unrealistic. The whole land is excellent! I wish there was a bit more "California" in it. This could easily just be a "China" themed land without really changing anything. Having some details to make it more specifically China Town in San Fran could have helped. I really love the Shang Chi show for that reason since that character/movie did so well blending American and Chinese cultural influences. Soaring Dragons is a great addition and would be a much better family coaster for that section of the part filling the void from Goofy's and greatly improving upon it. The Gardens and the Zodiac stuff are both great cultural showcases and fun additions. They would really round out DCA's line up. It might be slightly too kitschy of a name for this land and for modern DCA, but I can't help but love "Get Sum Dim Sum" as a PERFECT classic DCA food stand name lol. It could easily stand among the greats with Award Weiners and Maliburrito.

Team C

I know this was a difficult Scene for Team C both with work issues and mental health issues. Hopefully things get better in the future. Even with the set backs, the final project turned out very nice! The San Fran theme is great and you managed to get a lot of mileage out of it without it ever feeling too scattered. The Inside Out transition to Pixar Pier is subtle and very fun. Love the pizzeria. China Town as a subland is a really fun little off shoot. I love the retheme of Jumping Jellyfish! Fireworks Factory is a super fun idea! Maybe a bit too similar to Goofy's since they are both Wild Mouse's, but the theming here really elevated it into something special! While being a very realistic feeling addition budget wise. Exciting without being too crazy. A perfect support ride! 1906 is a real stand out treat in my mind! I'm a sucker for Davis inspired rides and the earthquake theme is such a unique angle to take it! It feels like a perfect DCA take on a classic Disneyland style of ride! And I love the realism of how you reused the Ariel layout/ride system. This is a shorter project due to your team's issues, but honestly nothing feels missing here. "Less" isn't always bad. I know there were bigger plans for China Town I believe, but personally I like it being kept simpler. The only real issue is that a map would have been nice. Even just a rough pencil sketch. Just to help visualize the land a bit more. But I won't hold that against you considering everything. Ya'll pulled out a great project! Also, the Crissy Field rename for the WoC viewing area was a really clever touch.​

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
AWESOME JOB TEAMS!!!

You all did an great job and I am extremely proud of all of you!! I can already tell this will be a very competitive game. Joke’s on me, I gotta judge all your projects!

I was closing manager last night and I’m opening manager this morning so my reviews will be sliiiiiightly delayed. But results will be posted midday today, with my reviews to follow later.

If you all get your chores done early I might just post the next prompt a day early too…

OvertheHorizon

Team A

Things I loved: The Twitter frame for announcing Carolwood Valley. Made it feel real. The Carolwood Valley graphic was great. Map provides a great overview, especially with the use of the highway. Love “Diego” the mounted talking fish! Nice dialogue for Max, Buff, and Melvin. Good change up for the cast of California Bear Jamboree from the Bear Jamboree we’re accustomed to (especially the lobster). Jailhouse Rock – LOL. Overall kudos on Cali Bear Jamboree. Goofy’s Trip fits nicely into the theme for Carolwood Valley. Pacific CoastUR is another great addition into an area that’s crowded with great options for guests – in short, we might not have to leave this part of the park for a full day of enjoyment. Golden Viewliner – nice idea but see suggestions. When can I make a reservation for the Pacific Coast Grill? 😊Nice tie in with Goofy on the brewery. Love Corn Dogs – see suggestion. Including charging stations in the rest area is a very 2022 idea. Creative entertainment offerings. Like I noted earlier, I can’t see myself visiting any other part of Disney California Adventure. That trash can at the end. Nice touch.

Suggestions: In the overview, “Disney” before California Adventure Park. The “Attractions” slide could have been used to highlight one or more specifics (like casting a spotlight on what you’d like the reader to focus on). “Goofy Trip” narrative needs editing. Consider adding a picture of Vekoma’s Family Coaster 335. Is the hot air balloon overkill. As a team, you might consider editing the overall concept to focus on fewer attractions (Note: Galaxy’s Edge has only 2 rides). Just as Country Bears was adapted as California Bears, consider taking that theming to the Corn Dogs.

Team B

Things I loved: A layout drawing, while not flashy, but gives a sense of the process that went into the design. Scales – I can imagine lots of opportunity for plush toy versions… and in thirty years a five-hour line for a popcorn bucket version. Lots of creative ideas in Chimera Manor, including rickshaws as the ride vehicles and lanterns for interactive participation. Description helped me visualize this ride. Nice retheming of a very traditional amusement ride for the Zodiac March of the Animals. The entertainment options, especially the Shang-Chi Stage Show, are good Disney theme tie-ins. Get Sum Dim Sum – a fun name. 😊 Bakeries are always popular at Disney. Your Inner Animal is a good idea for Chinatown retail (see suggestions). Although ultimately a TEAM effort, those credits at the end are good. Overall good presentation format, glad I was able to access it.

Suggestions: Better link the Chinatown concept to Disney California Adventure (San Francisco had one of the first prominent Chinatowns, but other large cities have them now). Nice description of coaster ride system. Wish the ride description had matched it – brought it to life more. Another image or two of the Chinese garden would have helped underscore its tranquility. Interesting description of hybrid design for Confucius Restaurant, but a drawing that reflects Chinese/Roman architecture would have stepped up that part of the presentation. Offer to sell stuffed versions of Scales in the Your Inner Animal store.

Team C

Things I loved: Sense of humor (disambiguate). Good explanation for focusing on San Francisco. 1906 Earthquake ride seems like a novel – and distinctly California – idea. Using cable cars for it is also inspired. Like the Fireworks Factory spinner.

Overall good ideas that needed to be elaborated.

Suggestions: A map to show where elements would be placed within the land. Describe more of Master Kong’s interaction with the guests (i.e. Will it be like the holiday storytellers in Epcot?). Many of the ideas could have been given expanded narratives or photo depictions (I know this team faced time issues). While Bob Chapek appreciates your re-using Mermaid track to save money, this is an Imagineering challenge – think BIG.

Last edited:

Disney Warrior

Review time!

Team C:

@TheOriginalTiki , your project was not garbage at all, you guys did a great job even if two team members were absent for most of the round and another member didn’t show up for a while. I like the idea of a SF land because it is a very iconic city (though I think I’ve seen it before in AC imagineering). The Inside Out Gardens is a cool touch and a great balance between the other thrilling attractions, even though both playgrounds in the park would be close to each other, also it feels a bit too “IP-ish” to me, but still, great addition. Can I have a broccoli pizza? Chinatown is a great idea, also surprisingly not done by Disney. The name “Fireworks Factory” screams darkride to me, it might confuse guests. Very interesting changing a happy dark ride to a darker one with 1906, I also didn’t know that Pixar had plans to make a live action film. Overall, a great project even though this team had some problems, I wonder what is on this team’s minds next?

Team A:
Right off the bat this team had the greatest activity in the PMs, and the idea they had was very intriguing. @Disney Dad 3000 and @spacemt354 great concept art, looks very realistic (wait why does space have b-wolf’s avatar?). As a transition from Pixar Pier to Grizzly Peak, however, like someone else said, I would’ve preferred the IP based rides to be closer to PP or to possibly make the coaster more “toony” in a way. Forests of Imagination is a great transition, though, and a quiet experience to counter the thrills. The California Bear Jamboree is a nice twist on an old classic, considering the fact that Disneyland doesn’t have the CBJ anymore. A Goofy Trip is a good idea, but I feel that the Roger Rabbit elements were not needed, and @DisneyFan32 , maybe proofread what you type first? Pacific Coastur is a nice family coaster to combat Incredicoaster, good choice. I love the logos on the dining options, and the retail places are pretty solid, too (the monopoly is a nice touch). Overall, a very original project, and I’m excited to see how this team fares.

Team B:
Scales is a very cute mascot, thanks @Honey Bee (Rebooted) . Chinatown, what an original idea! I love the choice of having no IP attractions, it’s something I really enjoy. Mythology actually intrigues me, and I see a lot of it in Chimera Manor, which is a great idea, I would happily ride it. Very clever with making your own roller coaster system, it serves as a nice replacement for GSS. The Chinese zodiac ride is also very good, I actually know a lot about the zodiac because of Pokemon (who did this, was it @PerGron ?). Wow, you guys have a garden too? I like the idea of having live entertainment here, this sets it apart from Team C. That restaurant name, Get Sum Dim Sum, it almost made me chuckle. The restaurants and retail are also great toppings to add on to this sundae (or presentation). Overall, this is a great, well-rounded project, excited to see what you guys do next!

I honestly have no idea who should win this, but you all did good this round. Please give yourselves a pat on the back.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Review time!

Team A:
Right off the bat this team had the greatest activity in the PMs, and the idea they had was very intriguing. @Disney Dad 3000 and @spacemt354 great concept art, looks very realistic (wait why does space have b-wolf’s avatar?). As a transition from Pixar Pier to Grizzly Peak, however, like someone else said, I would’ve preferred the IP based rides to be closer to PP or to possibly make the coaster more “toony” in a way. Forests of Imagination is a great transition, though, and a quiet experience to counter the thrills. The California Bear Jamboree is a nice twist on an old classic, considering the fact that Disneyland doesn’t have the CBJ anymore. A Goofy Trip is a good idea, but I feel that the Roger Rabbit elements were not needed, and @DisneyFan32 , maybe proofread what you type first? Pacific Coastur is a nice family coaster to combat Incredicoaster, good choice. I love the logos on the dining options, and the retail places are pretty solid, too (the monopoly is a nice touch). Overall, a very original project, and I’m excited to see how this team fares.

We'll shall do Disney-MGM Studios Sunset Blvd expansion project, thank you very much. But thanks for reviewing us!

Evilgidgit

EVILGIDGIT'S REVIEWS: TEAM B - CHAPTER ONE
As soon as Team B hit the idea of turning Paradise Gardens into Chinatown, everything just seemed to click and slot into place. The team quickly formulated some brilliant ideas, recreating a location that once and still exists within California. However, I feel there should have been more emphasis on this being based on San Francisco's Chinatown, though this doesn't hinder the final presentation. Chimera Manor is a fantastic cousin to Mystic Manor and Tokyo Disneyland's Monsters, Inc. dark ride. I had never heard of several of the Chinese mythical animals before, so I'll have to look them up. The Dragon Parade makes for a fine family coaster - and the use of Universal's experimental technology is a nice touch to make it a unique attraction. I like using Shang-Chi as the singular IP present in the land, and it fits nicely, since the character lives in SF's Chinatown, though my eyebrows raised when I read that guests would participate in holding ideas for the performers to go Bruce Lee on! The rest of the attractions are nice extra additions. "Get Sum Dim Sum" feels like a callback to the terrible puns of DCA 1.0, but it actually works!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom