Kungaloosh!!!

fgmnt

I think I mentioned that in a post a few years back...Boardwalk is a natural fit for Adventurer's Club...being 1940s Seaside Resort themed, it is only a few years out of context... and they could create a whole backstory about what happened to the old Adventurer's club and a new introduction with "Open House 1942" It's 5 years later and the club has been resurrected and looking for new members.
Placed squarely in what was the ESPN Sports Zone , the new club could have a dining component, and would be a real strong reason to visit the Boardwalk...
Move ESPN to Disney Springs where it actually makes sense...Let the Boardwalk have a true Destination Restaurant Entertainment Venue.
That Boardwalk Dance Palace is still mostly empty too...Just Sayin'....
There's an infrastructure problem with the BoardWalk becoming a destination. You can't realistically run buses to BW at the same rate you do to DS, you don't have the ability to build more surface parking, hard to justify the buildout of deck parking there when you have just built 4 down the road... I think the idea of the BoardWalk was to supplement activity of conventions held in the 3 hotels attached to Crescent Lake. I think making a destination location at BoardWalk would be be bad for pretty much everyone except guests at Crescent Lake Resorts, and maybe Skyliner Resorts.

JoeCamel

2.5B really doesn't seem like very much when they're spending almost $500m on a single ride.
It is across all parks and DCL I think? Drop in the bucket of what is needed.
This is like the US infrastructure, they built all this stuff and now they need to maintain it and improve it to attract new customers. Very expensive and it all slips away unless you do.
That is why Bob the before called the parks segment a "mature market" and wanted to divest. They are an increasing cost that may or may not produce revenue exceeding the investment. They are subject to many outside forces and D+ with it's monthly charge is more attractive as steady income than what might have come to the parks in the late oughts.

Rosso11

And there's the solid proof that this concept isn't off the ground. What is perhaps off the ground is a S.E.A. based escape room experience with AC references. Disney already knows the popularity of AC, however, and I would not be surprised to see a chunk of that massive cap ex used to bring it back in some way. Now back to your standard disgruntled anarctic water fowl...
Yup exactly. Seems like it has some support but not green-lit yet.

doctornick

There's an infrastructure problem with the BoardWalk becoming a destination. You can't realistically run buses to BW at the same rate you do to DS, you don't have the ability to build more surface parking, hard to justify the buildout of deck parking there when you have just built 4 down the road... I think the idea of the BoardWalk was to supplement activity of conventions held in the 3 hotels attached to Crescent Lake. I think making a destination location at BoardWalk would be be bad for pretty much everyone except guests at Crescent Lake Resorts, and maybe Skyliner Resorts.

It would have been interesting if that area was walkable from the front of Epcot where the theme park parking is (and Monorail stop). Then the Boardwalk could function as an "after hours" venue for those leaving Epcot and who wanted to stay up later but could still return to their cars in the parking lot.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It would have been interesting if that area was walkable from the front of Epcot where the theme park parking is (and Monorail stop). Then the Boardwalk could function as an "after hours" venue for those leaving Epcot and who wanted to stay up later but could still return to their cars in the parking lot.
This is where a PeopleMover would come in handy to get people back and forth from the main lot to the Boardwalk and back! (also would come in handy moving people from all those hotels to Epcot parking lot and back for Monorail trips to Magic Kingdom and for runDisney events without needing buses)

UNCgolf

On the other hand, the Boardwalk isn't really big enough to have a mass influx of people -- and it would also be detrimental to people staying at the Boardwalk Inn (and at the Yacht/Beach Club too, I suppose, to a lesser extent) if the area was packed at night with people making noise.

I do wish there was a bit more there, but the overall feel of the area is really nice in the evenings now. If you tripled the amount of people there, I think it would not be an especially pleasant place to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And there's the solid proof that this concept isn't off the ground. What is perhaps off the ground is a S.E.A. based escape room experience with AC references. Disney already knows the popularity of AC, however, and I would not be surprised to see a chunk of that massive cap ex used to bring it back in some way. Now back to your standard disgruntled anarctic water fowl...
Not me, but your new BFF said the escape room idea is dead...

I posted a few months ago about the idea of "Escape Room" type experiences coming to WDW at the resorts. Well, I have found out today that they are officially dead. It's a shame because some of the ideas and concepts were pretty interesting. But with the idea of sticking groups of 10+ people in a room that hundreds of people have been in and put their hands all over everything being taboo now, it's dead.

For the record, the two that I knew of were going to S.E.A based (at Saratoga Springs) and a generic tropical based (at Polynesian).

Not that it can't be resurrected...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d toss him fish and keep him happy if you don’t make definitive statements that don’t come to pass a “hobby”…and I thought you were on some other site/blog/podcast “Jim hilling it”? 🤔

1642741358014.gif

TrojanUSC

BoardWalk Inn lost the opportunity of doing something immersive with the Abracadabar, which had the promise of a hangout with close-up magicians but just wound up with LED screen posters and a reverse mirror correcting mirror... MAGIC!!!

BoardWalk constantly loses the opportunity to be a real hang-out spot in the vein of DS. It's shops, restaurants, and minimal attractions are the retail establishments normally found in any deluxe hotel. Just with a boardwalk theme.

Don't know if the hotel management actually wants hordes of people hanging out in the outside lobby of their hotel.

Indeed. It also doesn't help that they have made it positively inconvenient to go. Unless you have an ADR, you can't park to visit ADH or Jellyrolls. I've had some friends get turned away by security in Ubers and had to go over to Swan.

EPCOT-O.G.

It is across all parks and DCL I think? Drop in the bucket of what is needed.
This is like the US infrastructure, they built all this stuff and now they need to maintain it and improve it to attract new customers. Very expensive and it all slips away unless you do.
That is why Bob the before called the parks segment a "mature market" and wanted to divest. They are an increasing cost that may or may not produce revenue exceeding the investment. They are subject to many outside forces and D+ with it's monthly charge is more attractive as steady income than what might have come to the parks in the late oughts.
This is a good point. Disney’s parks (and their profit) would be highly desirable by many companies. But, Disney (with its foray into streaming) wants to be viewed as more of a tech company (like Netflix). In some ways the parks and their pesky upkeep and operating costs will be viewed as a negative given the money and focus needed for D+ (I believe we’re already seeing that)

WDW Pro

Not me, but your new BFF said the escape room idea is dead...
It's not dead. There are many projects to be reevaluated and it's in the list.

I’d toss him fish and keep him happy if you don’t make definitive statements that don’t come to pass a “hobby”…and I thought you were on some other site/blog/podcast “Jim hilling it”? 🤔

View attachment 615362
Who is "him"? It is nice to know you've been following my successes! :)

Bocabear

Has Trader Sam's caused a huge influx of people at the Polynesian? I don't think it has, and the combined hotels at Crescent lake, Boat traffic and Skyliner resorts adds up to a huge amount of people that could reach the resort... Boardwalk has always seemed to underwhelm...The bones are great but the offerings have always been less than stellar. Atlantic Dance Hall has always underperformed from the beginning, and at one time they thought it would be a real draw....So adding an Adventurer's Club to that location with access to 6 Hotels plus Skyliner traffic would seem to be an easy sell...Especially with fewer options available in the area.

UNCgolf

Has Trader Sam's caused a huge influx of people at the Polynesian? I don't think it has, and the combined hotels at Crescent lake, Boat traffic and Skyliner resorts adds up to a huge amount of people that could reach the resort... Boardwalk has always seemed to underwhelm...The bones are great but the offerings have always been less than stellar. Atlantic Dance Hall has always underperformed from the beginning, and at one time they thought it would be a real draw....So adding an Adventurer's Club to that location with access to 6 Hotels plus Skyliner traffic would seem to be an easy sell...Especially with fewer options available in the area.

Didn't the Atlantic Dance Hall originally have a live 10 piece band playing standards/big band era music?

I'd go in if they were still doing that. I don't see any reason to go into a random place playing modern dance music since you can do that in any city in the country.

trainplane3

Trader Sams should do better but I've heard and seen that security at hotels is strict. If you're an off property guest hoping to swing by Sams for a drink and a snack, they won't let you park at the hotel. So instead of dealing with parking at the TTC, people just leave and go elsewhere.

The resorts aren't exactly friendly to off property guests. Disney Springs eliminates this issue. For those saying "put it in the Boardwalk", let's not. Especially because the Crescent Lake hotels are just as strict as the MK resorts, if not more.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Has Trader Sam's caused a huge influx of people at the Polynesian? I don't think it has, and the combined hotels at Crescent lake, Boat traffic and Skyliner resorts adds up to a huge amount of people that could reach the resort...
Huge? No. Because Trader Sam's doesn't have the capacity to host a "huge" influx.

It could have been bigger... they could have sectioned it off into separate rooms, each with its own bar and special effects, but they chose to keep it small, hoping that it became popular enough to survive, but not so popular that the non-resort-guests would overwhelm the place. If I were staying at the Poly and wanted to go in for a drink, and couldn't because of a bunch of day-trippers, I'd be a bit miffed.

As it is, I peg it as about half-sized where it should be. There should be a Red side and a Blue side, each capable of handling about 50 people.

The AC never seemed to have that problem since it wasn't at a resort. I can recall having to wait to get inside, but it never seemed to be more than a half-hour or so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom