News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Cesar R M

It goes from Star Wars to Among Us. 🤣
iu
-"It was Chapek all along!"
-"I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for these wdw magic fans!"

:hilarious: :hilarious:

For that price I expect to be carried to and from like the Hutts.
Slave Leia included?

GimpYancIent

I don't know, I might be the only person here who isn't surprised by the price. If you search this forum, I distinctly remember a survey sent out by Disney years ago that pretty much asked what the interest would be for a Star Wars "cruise on land" at almost the exact price point they ended up releasing it at. Maybe their fallacy was not sending the survey out far enough, but they got a pretty favorable response on the survey because a decent portion of the responders said they'd be willing to spend this sort of money on a Star Wars experience like this.

Now I am not saying it's sustainable, because I didn't think it was long term sustainable back when they sent out the survey. But at the same point, the survey basically said exactly what they were gonna do and how much they were gonna charge for it. And then they did that exact thing when a whole bunch of people responded to the survey saying they were willing to pay them the price to do it...🤷‍♀️
Uhhhhh.....Immersive Star Wars experience talked about sure, at this price point? do not remember that. Of course, there was an assumption the detail and quality would be there.

Purduevian

Trying to look at the cost...
2 breakfast per person = $80 ($20 per meal seems about right)
2 "Dinner with Live Music" = $144 (Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue was $72 per adult)
2 tickets to DHS (yes i know it's only a half day there) = $218
2 lunch at Docking Bay 7 = $35
2 ILL to RotR= $30
2 ILL to MFSR= $20?(I know they don't sell this, but seems about right)
2 "Taste Around the Galaxy" Dinner = $144
2 nights of valet parking= $66
2 nights at a "deluxe" Disney Resort= $1400
Total of equivalent Disney experiences = $2,137

That leaves $2,672 ($4809-$2137) of price yet for 2 people ($1,336 per person).
You have a total of ~40.5 hours aboard the star cruiser. About 20 of that will probably be in your cabin, sleeping, getting ready, relaxing, ect.

So Disney is stating that this experience is worth $1336 for 20.5 hours of extreme entertainment on the star cruiser. ~$65 per hour.

Price comparison:
Chiefs vs Steelers wildcard tickets are about $150 a seat for 3 hours ($50 per hour)
Cirque Du Soleil is $85 for 90 minutes ($56.67 per hour)
7 hour VIP tour to Magic kingdom for 10 people ($42.5 to $85 per person per hour)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Uhhhhh.....Immersive Star Wars experience talked about sure, at this price point? do not remember that. Of course, there was an assumption the detail and quality would be there.

It's been clear from day 0 that they were targeting the deluxe+ price points. It's been obvious from the start from how the survey was setup.. they were talking about doing all this deluxe and premium level stuff and then was like 'and now you get this too!'. It's been covered. It was targeting the deluxe level spending crowd and would be structured like a cruise. It's been all of that.

Disstevefan1

2 ILL to RotR= $30

You have a total of ~40.5 hours aboard the star cruiser. About 20 of that will probably be in your cabin, sleeping, getting ready, relaxing, ect.

So Disney is stating that this experience is worth $1336 for 20.5 hours of extreme entertainment on the star cruiser. ~$65 per hour.

Price comparison:
Chiefs vs Steelers wildcard tickets are about $150 a seat for 3 hours ($50 per hour)
7 hour VIP tour to Magic kingdom for 10 people ($42.5 to $85 per person per hour)
I must say, looking at it this way, the Starcruiser IS WORTH IT! comparatively thinking..

UNCgolf

2 ILL to RotR= $30

Price comparison:

This is a pretty good breakdown, but based on the actual accommodations you'd probably be better off counting two nights at a value resort (maybe moderate), not a deluxe resort. It certainly doesn't have the room size/amenities of an actual Disney deluxe (cue THERE'S NOT EVEN A POOL!!!!). I'd shift most of that money to the Starcruiser experience category.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
2 ILL to RotR= $30

Price comparison:
I would say you'd need to add in the cost of the LARPing entertainment.

When you look at mystery-murder dinners or escape rooms, those interactive experiences usually run at $50/hour. And there's about 16 hours of time on the starcruiser that one can be engaging in these interactive events and role-play. That's an extra $800. For one person. Charging full price for each person in your party can be expensive: for 2, $1,600. For 5, $4,000.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

It's been clear from day 0 that they were targeting the deluxe+ price points. It's been obvious from the start from how the survey was setup.. they were talking about doing all this deluxe and premium level stuff and then was like 'and now you get this too!'. It's been covered. It was targeting the deluxe level spending crowd and would be structured like a cruise. It's been all of that.
Yes, the obvious target demographic for this project has been the "deluxe level spending crowd" which means "deluxe and premium level stuff". Simply slapping a high price on something does not make it "deluxe and premium level stuff". If a Porche price is paid a Porche is expected to be delivered not a Volkswagen and be informed that since both are German cars, it's just as good.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, the obvious target demographic for this project has been the "deluxe level spending crowd" which means "deluxe and premium level stuff". Simply slapping a high price on something does not make it "deluxe and premium level stuff".

The point was the price point is not a surprise.. which is what I was replying to.
at this price point? do not remember that

Disstevefan1

This is a pretty good breakdown, but based on the actual accommodations you'd probably be better off counting two nights at a value resort (maybe moderate), not a deluxe resort. It certainly doesn't have the room size/amenities of an actual Disney deluxe (cue THERE'S NOT EVEN A POOL!!!!). I'd shift most of that money to the Starcruiser experience category.
I am not a fan of the Starcruiser but for the sake of this discussion, I think Staying in the Starcruiser to me, can be considered deluxe. Here's why:
1. The general public cannot get into the Starcruiser. Anyone can access the deluxe resorts, tour the resort, even checkout the rooms; you can't do that in the Starcruiser.
2. The general public cannot use the amenities of the Starcruiser. Again, the general public can take advantage of many of the amenities on a deluxe resort; lounges, restaurants, retail, counter service, and some activities the resort offers.
3. The amenities; food, activities etc. in the Starcruiser are ONLY accessible by folks staying in the Starcruiser.

KrzyKtty

I really don't want to go through the effort on my phone to try to find that original thread from years back, but I remember price price points being talked about on the thread. I think it was a little bit less at that time but people were easily throwing around $1k per person.

Edited

GimpYancIent

I am not a fan of the Starcruiser but for the sake of this discussion, I think Staying in the Starcruiser to me, can be considered deluxe. Here's why:
1. The general public cannot get into the Starcruiser. Anyone can access the deluxe resorts, tour the resort, even checkout the rooms; you can't do that in the Starcruiser.
2. The general public cannot use the amenities of the Starcruiser. Again, the general public can take advantage of many of the amenities on a deluxe resort; lounges, restaurants, retail, counter service, and some activities the resort offers.
3. The amenities; food, activities etc. in the Starcruiser are ONLY accessible by folks staying in the Starcruiser.
The use of the word Deluxe really does not fit. I would call this an exclusive experience because "The general public cannot get into the Star Cruiser". That said the accommodations do not meet the "Deluxe" standard definition.

GimpYancIent

I really don't want to go through the effort on my phone to try to find that original thread from years back, but I remember price price points being talked about on the thread. I think it was a little bit less at that time but people were easily throwing around $1k per person.

Edited
That is correct. Definitely not the final pricing model.

KrzyKtty

Correcting my earlier post, the $2500 was thrown around a lot but that was more accounting for 2 people. It seems the original price most most articles were saying at the time were $1000 per person. So this is higher than that but still not surprising considering the current climate.

Disstevefan1

The use of the word Deluxe really does not fit. I would call this an exclusive experience because "The general public cannot get into the Star Cruiser". That said the accommodations do not meet the "Deluxe" standard definition.
We can split hairs over words, I just think the rates we pay for the public accessible "Deluxe" resorts is comparable to the hypothetical rate for the "exclusive" Starcruiser stay, as it applies to our discussion about the breakdown made by @Purduevian in the previous post..

TP2000

Makes you wonder.. what if this is on purpose to make fans forget about what star wars is and are just trying to snatch the RICH sort of scifi fans (not the die hard ones who understands all the errors by Disney).

Maybe. But that kind of assumes that this is all on purpose. It's almost a conspiracy theory, which I generally discount immediately.

That said, when I first got up to speed on this topic a few weeks ago I peddled in conspiracy theory myself. 😕

After not thinking about this project for years, this crisis was mentioned over on the Disneyland side and I came here to check it out. I was awash in pre-opening PR videos that were so bad and so cringey and made the product look so stupid that I thought (and basically posted) "This has to be a joke. They must be doing this on purpose to fire up the fans and create a viral moment when they reveal the real hotel in a couple months."

Now that a few weeks have passed and I've wrapped my head around this thing, I've come to the sad conclusion that this really is the Galactic Starcruiser and this really is how they were going to market it to potential customers. Those weren't fake corny sets, they really are the hotel. Bob Chapek really did cut the band and the backup singers from the bar, and it really is just that one cringey "pop diva" as the sole entertainment. The smirky captain really is Kathleen Kennedy, and she really is wearing the old Superstar Limo costume.

There's no giant viral marketing April Fool's joke waiting in the wings.

In short, they really do appear to be this stupid. So any broader attempt at mass fan manipulation seems out of their reach as a skillset or talent they might have. It's apparently just a vaguely SciFi hotel that Chapek slashed the budget on with super cringey marketing from perky Imagineers and the lone "cool" exec wearing skinny jeans and a Covid mask.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom