News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

UNCgolf

I think everyone's entitled to their opinion of a new thing at Disney, it's a company/resort we all obviously care about. But most of what I have liked about Disney lately has been things people complained about (especially my beloved Rivers of Light) so I haven't really left room for the complaints of others for something I enjoy. (or in this case, plan to enjoy) I can already go hop on the Millennium Falcon if I want that type of movie specific detail. All I'm looking for here is something we can use as a backdrop for our own stories. I don't have nor particularly like kids so if the bridge bit turns out to be more kid oriented I can just wander off somewhere else. Our date at least is pretty bent on having a good time no matter what, so I'm sure we will.

I'm not sure that's going to be possible. Based on the sample itineraries and a few other details, I think it's going to be a pretty structured experience overall. I have not gotten the impression that you will be free to wander around the Starcruiser and do whatever you want -- it looks more like your scheduled bridge time is 3:40-4 (just random numbers as an example), and other groups are scheduled for other activities during that time, so you're basically locked in to what's listed on the itinerary. I'm sure there will be some leeway, but considering all of those areas will require staffing, I'm guessing Disney will want to be able to shut them down and say guests can't access this area right now.

Of course we won't know for sure until it actually opens. That's one of the things I'm most curious about, though.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Really?

The hot star (or B-list celebrity) of the day pretending to have a non-rehearsed dialog with some Disney CM telling awkward jokes and then cutaway to a magical scenario of them enjoying some aspect of the parks? You really don't remember them?

How about this...

The "Walt Disney World Minute" series is especially cringey....

And Josh Gad made it very clear he wasn't happy having to do it and was making fun of Disney parks. Tho, it's hilarious he did so. And he answered one of the questions so hilariously out of left field, that the interviewer was momentarily silenced.

But no, this Starcruiser video was not at all part of Disney's cringey guest star series. Wait, there's Danny Kaye about to begin a dream sequence.....

I loled at the Josh Gad one.
The jabs he took here and there.. lmao XD

Hawg G

So over a 1/2 of a day of this $6k to $10k "immersive" experience is spent at GE? What a crappy non-attempt at making this unique and individualized.

Yeah, there are multiple issues with this.

1. You HAVE to get up very early on your full day in the resort.
2. Literally about half of that day is spent in the Studios, doing things you can do MUCH cheaper on another day. You only have around 30 hours of active time in the resort. About $200 an hour per room. You are paying about $1000 to visit Galaxy’s Edge, and have a mediocre lunch. Not even a free blue milk. You would be paying about $200 for that time on a regular day. Maybe $300 with meal and LL.
3. Lunch IN THE PARK. Not only is this a low quality meal, and again, something you can do any other time, 30 minutes seems very short. You gotta woof down lunch.
4. There are big logistical issues. First, I assume the transport will need many trips for everyone. I can’t imagine they have 2 of them, but maybe. Even so, the time for transporting will likely total an hour window, so if you are on the last group, you sorta lose another hour in the hotel, although I’m also assuming the hotel is going to sort of close down at a fairly early time, maybe 10. I don’t see a bar staying open until midnight, everyone on the “ship” would try to be there.
5. More logistics, Docking Bay will basically become overran by ship guests every other day right at lunch. This will be 4-500 people being fast passed into the restaurant. Making it a nightmare for regular guests, right at lunch time.

cindy_k

[...]
What if a serial killer gets in the hotel, will that stop us going to Galaxies Edge?
[...]

Get the idea? :D

It goes from Star Wars to Among Us. 🤣
iu

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think your numbers are correct, I think they will have enough busses to all go at once. Based on their sample itinerary, busses depart back to the cruiser at 12:40 and the next thing starts on the cruiser at 1:00. To get departed, get back, load back onto the ship, and be ready for the light Saber training they won't be able to go a little at a time.

The sample iterinary was an example of ONE GROUPs activity - not necessarily everyone. There won't be a big fleet of transports. The biggest constraint is the docking space... not # of buses.

mergatroid

I'm not sure that's going to be possible. Based on the sample itineraries and a few other details, I think it's going to be a pretty structured experience overall. I have not gotten the impression that you will be free to wander around the Starcruiser and do whatever you want -- it looks more like your scheduled bridge time is 3:40-4, and other groups are scheduled for other activities during that time, so you're basically locked in to what's listed on the itinerary. I'm sure there will be some leeway, but considering all of those areas will require staffing, I'm guessing Disney will want to be able to shut them down and say guests can't access this area right now.

Of course we won't know for sure until it actually opens. That's one of the things I'm most curious about, though.
I agree, it doesn't appear there'll be much roaming around going on. I think it's very much structured as I'm guessing much Larping is. Like yourself, I'm curious too.

UNCgolf

The sample iterinary was an example of ONE GROUPs activity - not necessarily everyone. There won't be a big fleet of transports. The biggest constraint is the docking space... not # of buses.

Yeah, I can't imagine they're going to build like 7 or 8 of these special buses. It has to be a less than 5 minute trip to get to/from Galaxy's Edge.

They'll have to have more than one in case of mechanical/technical problems, but probably no more than three.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

I don't know, I might be the only person here who isn't surprised by the price. If you search this forum, I distinctly remember a survey sent out by Disney years ago that pretty much asked what the interest would be for a Star Wars "cruise on land" at almost the exact price point they ended up releasing it at. Maybe their fallacy was not sending the survey out far enough, but they got a pretty favorable response on the survey because a decent portion of the responders said they'd be willing to spend this sort of money on a Star Wars experience like this.

Now I am not saying it's sustainable, because I didn't think it was long term sustainable back when they sent out the survey. But at the same point, the survey basically said exactly what they were gonna do and how much they were gonna charge for it. And then they did that exact thing when a whole bunch of people responded to the survey saying they were willing to pay them the price to do it...🤷‍♀️

EPCOT-O.G.

I don't know, I might be the only person here who isn't surprised by the price. If you search this forum, I distinctly remember a survey sent out by Disney years ago that pretty much asked what the interest would be for a Star Wars "cruise on land" at almost the exact price point they ended up releasing it at. Maybe their fallacy was not sending the survey out far enough, but they got a pretty favorable response on the survey because a decent portion of the responders said they'd be willing to spend this sort of money on a Star Wars experience like this.

Now I am not saying it's sustainable, because I didn't think it was long term sustainable back when they sent out the survey. But at the same point, the survey basically said exactly what they were gonna do and how much they were gonna charge for it. And then they did that exact thing when a whole bunch of people responded to the survey saying they were willing to pay them the price to do it...🤷‍♀️
There's a school of thought that some of these surveys, rather than trying to passively get a read on the true desires of those being surveyed, are crafted in a way to arrive at a desired outcome.

For instance, say you have a Fortune 500 company in which the decision makers and the board of directors had become overly reliant on the sign-off of the strategic planning folks. If you had a certain project you wanted to get approved, structuring a "survey" in a way to justify pre-determined price points is one way to do it. Of course, the market ultimately decides what a fair and desirable price point is, so we will soon see how it responds.

LSLS

Ah OK, guess I didn't understand the itinerary thing very well, thanks.

Mufusm

I'm legitimately torn on this. On the one hand, I really wish for this to be the experience hoping it to be. I am heartened by your excitement for this., sincerely.

On the other hand, I am very dismayed at the outrageous costs TWDC is expecting of its guests. It's clear they are moving more and more towards becoming a luxury experience, to the point where they are excluding all but the upper middle class (as a starting point!) from getting the full experience. As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I've found many of Disney's decisions baffling, to include this one. As TP2000 and others have intimated, it seems like a project done by someone with vague passing familiarity of Star Wars would envision an experience looking like.
Yeah, i hope they have fun, it reads like they are already tempering their expectations.

Sir_Cliff

Starcruiser guests are guaranteed to get on both rides. HOWEVER - Disney can not control if something breaks while they are visiting. There is no secret version of the rides just for Starcruiser guests, that won't break down. At some point, people have to actually use their brains and use some logic.
Sure, but it would be rather bad form if Disney just shrugged and told guests "rides break down, use your brains and logic" if they couldn't do Rise of the Resistance during their $6000 Star Wars extravaganza.

Of course rides break down, my only point is that Disney can be "generous" in addressing the issue at little cost to themselves and most people will understand. I don't think they will be as cold as you're suggesting, for the record, as I imagine they want to keep the people coming out of this particular experience as happy as possible.

TrojanUSC

I think if it were a 3 night voyage, that would make more financial sense to a lot of people. As it stands, two nights with half a day spent in a very public theme park with little special access is a big ask.

KrzyKtty

There's a school of thought that some of these surveys, rather than trying to passively get a read on the true desires of those being surveyed, are crafted in a way to arrive at a desired outcome.

For instance, say you have a Fortune 500 company in which the decision makers and the board of directors had become overly reliant on the sign-off of the strategic planning folks. If you had a certain project you wanted to get approved, structuring a "survey" in a way to justify pre-determined price points is one way to do it. Of course, the market ultimately decides what a fair and desirable price point is, so we will soon see how it responds.
I totally agree, and I figured they were doing that when they sent it in all fairness. But that does mean I wasn't surprised by the price because they pretty much stated exactly what they were going to do in the survey, and this was years ago before Chapek took over.

KrzyKtty

I think if it were a 3 night voyage, that would make more financial sense to a lot of people. As it stands, two nights with half a day spent in a very public theme park with little special access is a big ask.
I'm not saying that it's not overpriced, I'm just saying I wasn't surprised by the price. It's not something I would pay for, but I'm not surprised that's what Disney asked. They were pretty open for years what price point they were gunning for.

Dragonman

I was thinking it would be cool if they used the train from the latest Book of Boba episode as transportation between the hotel and park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom