News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

I agree, it just looks like a standard hotel with weird 1960s military computers that don't look like Star Wars.

Lucasfilm is ran so poorly these days, as is Disney Parks. I don't know who's at fault but it's probably both. Neither of them understand the source material or fan base.

If you want to make your own scifi characters and story go ahead, but don't name it after another series it has little to do with.

A blue alien space captain that looks like a character out of Playhouse Disney from the early 2000s does nothing for me. She looks like a Super Star Limo Cast Member.

Stop labelling space fantasy as Star Wars. You can't make your own crap up and add a lightsaber and tell me its Star Wars now and that suddenly I'm supposed to care about it.
Maybe, just maybe if the Galactic Star Cruise experience had been developed as a Disney experience rather than serious Star Wars LARP this whole thing would be more palatable. At least the littles would get some enjoyment if the cast / crew were .........
1641565447911.png

LovePop

I'm guessing those that hire the Presidential suite at the Poly are doing so for the view, the luxury and the location near the MK. They're paying for the quality of the room itself. These are very likely rich people who want the best and don't mind paying.

I'm guessing those that go to Starcruiser are Star Wars fans who want an experience rather than a luxury room. Many of them probably wouldn't stay in the Presidential Suite at the Poly but will pay for the Starcruiser because they're hoping to enjoy the role play rather than the 'luxury' of the hotel. Again just a guess but I think it's two different markets being tapped here.
If it's two different markets, then the Star Wars market doesn't exist and never has. That's the real reason there are a bunch of cancellations now that the full payment is coming due. You are talking about people who has to use their kids' college funds for this. How nerve wrecking is that? That makes you want to cancel when you see the least bit of imperfection, knowing how much you are sacrificing. People who stay at presidential suites do so because cost means the same to them as Pop Century means to others -- that's how much money they have.

For example, I read about this one guy, a blogger, who is booked at the Starcruiser in March, so he is paid up and locked in. As a result, when he reviews the California Grill's new menu, he does not bother ordering the new Tomahawk steak to review, which costs roughly $200 each, because he CAN'T AFFORD IT! And he loves steak!

I mean, how often can Disney ask a man to give up his steaks for a year or two to be able to go to the Starcruiser? That's not a real market. People say that the cancellations are happening because the promos are not good enough. Yeah, well, if such people think the promos are bad, wait till they get there and noticed that the bathrooms are ugly, or the bridge has technical problems, or the blue captain is not exciting, or the pillow isn't properly fluffed. They are going to have a financial panic attack.

Growing up, my son wanted to stay at the presidential suite because it looked big and fancy and he wanted to experience it. We could afford it for a couple of nights, but I told him no, we are not that rich, it's not for us. Though I would do it if he makes it into Harvard.

Son is nowhere near Harvard, so my money is safe. In the mean time, we'll buy the steak if we ever catch a reservation at the California Grill.

The Starcruiser is just a hotel simulating a space cruise. No matter how exciting it is, it can never be as as exciting as Epcot or MK, where just one of the rides costs as much to build as the entire Starcruiser. So anybody who doesn't have the money should never stay there because they will almost always be disappointed: their opportunity cost is too high. They have to give up a year's worth of fancy steak when the rich guy is just giving up his pocket change.

Last edited:

jasminethecat

Gimp's photo and idea above are brilliant because it actually shows star wars characters we freaking recognize and care about. They could steal a page from "A Bug's Life" and make the starcruiser an in-universe entertainment vessel which the first order despises. I could see Goofy being... goofy in front of a Kylo Ren actor and Goofy actually mocking Kylo, which gets him dragged off to a holding cell. Then it turns out someone else on the ship like a fake passenger family are actually rebel spies trying to get info from the first order to someone else like Chewbacca who shows up near the end and nobody believes him (or her).

It would be a little "meta" like in the Avatar (cartoon) series when they watch a terrible play about their own lives. Or for people who aren't familiar with Avatar, it would be like Rogers - The Musical in the Hawkeye series. A show within a show, which would play up to the disney vibe, keep it fun and recognizable, and maybe make some of us want to book it. That opens the door for there to be funny and campy shows and events on the ship based on "historical events" from the series which may be intentionally incorrect. If Howard the Duck can be in the Avengers, Mickey and Minnie can be Luke and Leia impersonators who don't even know who Mickey and Minnie Mouse are.

And screw the current lightsaber training, they should get people to actually train passengers with toy lightsabers in dueling. You can find people experienced with Kendo at many colleges. They don't need to be perfect fighters, they just need to stay in character. Even say "these aren't real lightsabers, since nobody has seen one in years, but this is how they seemed to fight."

mdcpr

I still say that the biggest problem for the Starcruiser is that its cheapest room costs as much as the most expensive, presidential suite of the Poly, which also includes concierge food all day.

"The King Kamehameha Presidential Suite is a two-story beauty with two bedrooms, two and a half baths, a great room, a service kitchen, and hardwood flooring with tropical area rugs throughout, at 1,863 square feet. The master balcony has views of the castle, lagoon, and marina."

So the Poly can only sell one presidential suite while the Starcuriser can sell a 100 tiny rooms at the same price? Where is the customer base coming from?
The customer base for the Presidential Suite would never be caught dead in the Starcruiser.

Parker in NYC

So for those who stated that the cancellations were not really a thing, did anyone check out the blogmickey site today? They had some pretty clear evidence there are plenty of cancellations.

The availability on December 14th, as their cringey pre-opening videos were ciculating around the Internet...

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-availability-12142021-2-1536x938.jpg

And then here is the availability for those months as of January 6th...

galactic-starcruiser-availability-01062022-1536x795.jpg

Now, I think that one other blogger who apparently flunked high school statistics who claimed that this proves that "50%" of reservations had been cancelled is still very wrong. We don't know if these dates are now open because 15% of people cancelled and there's a few new reservations open, or if 50% of people cancelled and the hotel is only half full this year for Easter vacation.

But what is readily apparent is that there have been noticeable cancellations. That's not a good sign.

No, it’s fine. Remember, it’s all Snoke and mirrors.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
LFL can't be that poorly run, can it? I mean, they at least have enough of a clue to let Favreau and Filoni run with what they've started. ;)

Imagine if they asked them to create some story arcs that could be used with this "premium luxury Disney experience". Talk about a way to draw people back.

GimpYancIent

LFL can't be that poorly run, can it? I mean, they at least have enough of a clue to let Favreau and Filoni run with what they've started. ;)

Imagine if they asked them to create some story arcs that could be used with this "premium luxury Disney experience". Talk about a way to draw people back.
What? "Premium luxury Disney experience"? Where? Even Disney emphasizes "immersive" not "Premium luxury Disney experience". A bit of a descriptive reach, NO?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What? "Premium luxury Disney experience"? Where? Even Disney emphasizes "immersive" not "Premium luxury Disney experience". A bit of a descriptive reach, NO?

$4800 for 2 people for 2 nights (during the slow season). What else would you call it?

And Disney overuses the words "Immersive" and "story" so much that they don't even know what they truly mean anymore.

Cesar R M

Gimp's photo and idea above are brilliant because it actually shows star wars characters we freaking recognize and care about. They could steal a page from "A Bug's Life" and make the starcruiser an in-universe entertainment vessel which the first order despises. I could see Goofy being... goofy in front of a Kylo Ren actor and Goofy actually mocking Kylo, which gets him dragged off to a holding cell. Then it turns out someone else on the ship like a fake passenger family are actually rebel spies trying to get info from the first order to someone else like Chewbacca who shows up near the end and nobody believes him (or her).

It would be a little "meta" like in the Avatar (cartoon) series when they watch a terrible play about their own lives. Or for people who aren't familiar with Avatar, it would be like Rogers - The Musical in the Hawkeye series. A show within a show, which would play up to the disney vibe, keep it fun and recognizable, and maybe make some of us want to book it. That opens the door for there to be funny and campy shows and events on the ship based on "historical events" from the series which may be intentionally incorrect. If Howard the Duck can be in the Avengers, Mickey and Minnie can be Luke and Leia impersonators who don't even know who Mickey and Minnie Mouse are.

And screw the current lightsaber training, they should get people to actually train passengers with toy lightsabers in dueling. You can find people experienced with Kendo at many colleges. They don't need to be perfect fighters, they just need to stay in character. Even say "these aren't real lightsabers, since nobody has seen one in years, but this is how they seemed to fight."
That episode was gold.
Loved Toph's interpretation XD

and the best part..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It is called many things Overpriced to start. A high price for something does not equate to "Premium or luxury".

Wait... Does Disney know that? ;) They seem to have this notion that their stuff is "premium" or "luxury" because they charge a price high enough and because they say so. They wouldn't know either these days if it kicked them in the .

ETA: They may not use the actual words "luxury" and "premium" in the advertisement of this, but they used a thesaurus's worth of other words to cover them.

GimpYancIent

Wait... Does Disney know that? ;) They seem to have this notion that their stuff is "premium" or "luxury" because they charge a price high enough and because they say so. They wouldn't know either these days if it kicked them in the ***.
True. Quite possibly this Galactic Star Cruiser immersive experience venture will be the Kick in the ****.

Cesar R M

I'm not the target for the Starcruiser, but I would pay good money for an experience where Darth Vader tucks in the family at night and Baby Yoda/Grogu would wake us up in the morning.
In Modern Disney's.. Vader would be the one taking your wallet, your credit card information via the force.. and then warn you to pray your reservations dont get into "seasonal prices". XD

Fido Chuckwagon

So for those who stated that the cancellations were not really a thing, did anyone check out the blogmickey site today? They had some pretty clear evidence there are plenty of cancellations.

The availability on December 14th, as their cringey pre-opening videos were ciculating around the Internet...

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-availability-12142021-2-1536x938.jpg

And then here is the availability for those months as of January 6th...

galactic-starcruiser-availability-01062022-1536x795.jpg

Now, I think that one other blogger who apparently flunked high school statistics who claimed that this proves that "50%" of reservations had been cancelled is still very wrong. We don't know if these dates are now open because 15% of people cancelled and there's a few new reservations open, or if 50% of people cancelled and the hotel is only half full this year for Easter vacation.

But what is readily apparent is that there have been noticeable cancellations. That's not a good sign.

This hotel is never selling out at the current price point. The first few months represent die-hards. Fast forward the calendar a bit and it's wide open from June on. It doesn't matter how great this turns out to be (and it doesn't look that great), Disney has vastly misestimated what price point the market will bear.

JoeCamel

This hotel is never selling out at the current price point. The first few months represent die-hards. Fast forward the calendar a bit and it's wide open from June on. It doesn't matter how great this turns out to be (and it doesn't look that great), Disney has vastly misestimated what price point the market will bear.
I think many here were throwing around 1K/night numbers as a comparison to the MK resorts. Dis never fails to surprise and amuse

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I agree, it just looks like a standard hotel with weird 1960s military computers that don't look like Star Wars.

Lucasfilm is ran so poorly these days, as is Disney Parks. I don't know who's at fault but it's probably both. Neither of them understand the source material or fan base.

If you want to make your own scifi characters and story go ahead, but don't name it after another series it has little to do with.

A blue alien space captain that looks like a character out of Playhouse Disney from the early 2000s does nothing for me. She looks like a Super Star Limo Cast Member.

Stop labelling space fantasy as Star Wars. You can't make your own crap up and add a lightsaber and tell me its Star Wars now and that suddenly I'm supposed to care about it.
Well damn said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom