Cost of going to DW waaaay too high.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d guess 90%, but people are convinced Disney doesn’t want return visitors and everything they’re doing is an attempt to drive away APs and return visitors because we spend less per day than day trippers and one timers.
Well not THAT High…but the way they track attendance shows that over 50% are “frequent” visitors

to your point…I think this “they don’t want repeat visitors” is yet another in a long line of excuses by diehard on places such as forums.

by saying that…they make themselves “victims” and spend less time feeling guilty paying the ransom for diminishing product…because they can’t say no but want something to point to to make it “not their fault”

Disney wants repeat customers…those timeshare aren’t for rentals…they just want to be able to name their price.

and we walk into it.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

No, not 3000% better. Tough to quantify 'better', though.

If it's roughly $100 to get into the MK today, and everything were otherwise equal, I'd spend $40 to get into the 1972 version of it. I spent roughly $40 at an amusement park (Playland) a couple years ago when I was visiting my hometown... seemed about right for the attractions available. I don't know what Playland cost when I was going there as a kid so I don't know what the % increase has been since then.

In 1973 the MK blew away Playland. In 2021 even more so. I believe Playland has nearly gone out of business a few times too, which would have been a shame.
I think when Disney parks like WDW raises prices, it allows (forces?) other similar venues to raise their prices.

Other venues that do not raise their prices could be perceived as not worth your time or generally lower quality. And let’s face it, raising prices makes more money, so it’s an easy decision for these other venues to raise their prices too.

Whatever the case , It seems the other venues follows WDW’s lead.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well not THAT High…but they way they track attendance shows that over 50% are “frequent” visitors

to your point…I think this “they don’t want repeat visitors” is yet another in a long line of excuses by diehard on places such as forums.

by saying that…they make themselves “victims” and spend less time feeling guilty paying the ransom for diminishing product…because they can’t say no but want something to point to to make it “not their fault”

Disney wants repeat customers…those timeshare aren’t for rentals…they just want to be able to name their price.

and we walk into it.
Why would anyone feel “guilty” about how they choose to spend money at WDW? And why on earth would you think those people “can’t say no” and feel they’re at fault for Disney’s decisions?

I can understand being ticked off at the increasing costs and responding accordingly. And I could certainly understand it if you said that you feel guilty about your trips to WDW and helpless to avoid them. But projecting those feelings onto the “diehards” on this site seems presumptuous.

Disstevefan1

Folks were complaining prior to the pandemic that it was getting too crowded, so here's the solution they implemented: fewer people, higher costs.
The big question, will this fewer people, higher costs, reduced offerings strategy, actually result in a better guest experience?

Only time will tell…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would anyone feel “guilty” about how they choose to spend money at WDW? And why on earth would you think those people “can’t say no” and feel they’re at fault for Disney’s decisions?

I can understand being ticked off at the increasing costs and responding accordingly. And I could certainly understand it if you said that you feel guilty about your trips to WDW and helpless to avoid them. But projecting those feelings onto the “diehards” on this site seems presumptuous.
Just a theory…

…I’m shocked you don’t like it😂

and the reason why I think people “can’t say no” is that they can’t say no…

proven by history, actions and attitudes. I understand that because I have some of that instinct too and it’s a fight. But I can be honest. It’s just parks/fandom…not the meaning of life.

Chi84

Premium Member
Just a theory…

…I’m shocked you don’t like it😂

and the reason why I think people “can’t say no” is that they can’t say no…

proven by history, actions and attitudes. I understand that because I have some of that instinct too and it’s a fight. But I can be honest. It’s just parks/fandom…not the meaning of life.
Maybe - just maybe - they don’t want to say no. I truly hope going to WDW doesn’t feel like losing a fight.

Roy G. Dis

They probably feel bad that something they like costs so much (and isn't getting cheaper)... but really, who cares. It's their money; no one's holding a gun to their head telling them how to spend it.

jlhwdw

I keep seeing "Disney greed" "Corporate greed" "WaLt wOuLd bE rOlLiNg iN hIs gRaVe"

It's all about the basics of business and supply and demand. Per hour, WDW is still significantly cheaper than many A-list concerts, sporting events, etc. And if people are paying, why would you *not* charge it?

The Disney community truly believes the parks exist solely to entertain their own personal wants and desires and often forget Disney is a for-profit massive corporation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I keep seeing "Disney greed" "Corporate greed" "WaLt wOuLd bE rOlLiNg iN hIs gRaVe"

It's all about the basics of business and supply and demand. Per hour, WDW is still significantly cheaper than many A-list concerts, sporting events, etc. And if people are paying, why would you *not* charge it?

The Disney community truly believes the parks exist solely to entertain their own personal wants and desires and often forget Disney is a for-profit massive corporation.
For the billionth time…it’s not Econ 001…because disney is a rare business that sells emotional attachment as much as it sells product.

coke sells drinks…apple sells overpriced phones…Exxon sells gas…

disney has a “trigger”…that they’re well aware of…that drives the sales. So a tactic that changes that attachment should be questioned by the consumer AND the market.

You might want to venture over to “kfcmagic” if we’re gong to act like the brand isn’t the biggest draw. It is…it has been since WW2.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They probably feel bad that something they like costs so much (and isn't getting cheaper)... but really, who cares. It's their money; no one's holding a gun to their head telling them how to spend it.
I agree people will do what they want…if they all “individually” do it…it covers the whole pool, however. Let’s watch and see where this goes.

Vegas Disney Fan

Per hour, WDW is still significantly cheaper than many A-list concerts, sporting events, etc. And if people are paying, why would you *not* charge it?
We saw Little Big Town the other night, $107 per seat plus $18 per drink… 3 hours of fun was $300.

Knights games will run a couple hundred a ticket, add in a hot dog and a beer each and it’s a $500+ night. Entertainment has become very expensive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe - just maybe - they don’t want to say no. I truly hope going to WDW doesn’t feel like losing a fight.
When the price goes up north of 300% in about 18 years? I don’t know if it’s “Losing a fight”

but I’ll tell you what I told another contrarian to my angle two days ago…go to the ivory tower and look at the people lamenting/selling themselves on continuing…then look at the names doing it. It’s not me. There seems to be little to no joy in this neighborhood…beyond the sect that makes it their life in that weird cringe sorta way.

it may change…maybe the clouds lighten…

but this trend isn’t since September and lighting lane…this has been building at least 10 years…some just are late to the watch party.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We saw Little Big Town the other night, $107 per seat plus $18 per drink… 3 hours of fun was $300.

Knights games will run a couple hundred a ticket, add in a hot dog and a beer each and it’s a $500+ night. Entertainment has become very expensive.
How long does a show last?
Broadway?
a football game?

How long is the average trip to a Disney park?

Ok…checked that one off the list today too 🤪

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Now the question becomes does Disney need these folks to become return visitors??
They absolutely do.

1- It's cheaper to have repeat customers than it is to get new ones.
2- As millennials tend to have fewer kids than previous generations (and for zoomers it's likely to be the same, as the factors owing to millennials having fewer kids are still around), soon, Disney will reach a point that there just aren't as many families interested in a WDW vacation.

Disney's been smart by offering cheaper ways to "buy" into Disney (D23, Disney+), and buying IP to expand the company's appeal to new customers - but the parks are still the cash cow.

Chi84

Premium Member
When the price goes up north of 300% in about 18 years? I don’t know if it’s “Losing a fight”

but I’ll tell you what I told another contrarian to my angle two days ago…go to the ivory tower and look at the people lamenting/selling themselves on continuing…then look at the names doing it. It’s not me. There seems to be little to no joy in this neighborhood…beyond the sect that makes it their life in that weird cringe sorta way.

it may change…maybe the clouds lighten…

but this trend isn’t since September and lighting lane…this has been building at least 10 years…some just are late to the watch party.
I really don’t understand the no joy angle at all. It seems you’re okay with people continuing to visit WDW as long as (1) they don’t spend money on events/products that you have decided aren’t worth it and (2) they feel guilty, victimized or otherwise bad about their decision to visit. If feeling that way makes you happy, have at it. It’s not for me.

If there are other posters who feel that way, they either aren’t being as vocal about it or, at a minimum, aren’t telling others what to do or how to feel. Or maybe they’re just not doing it as frequently or noticeably.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really don’t understand the no joy angle at all. It seems you’re okay with people continuing to visit WDW as long as (1) they don’t spend money on events/products that you have decided aren’t worth it and (2) they feel guilty, victimized or otherwise bad about their decision to visit. If feeling that way makes you happy, have at it. It’s not for me.

If there are other posters who feel that way, they either aren’t being as vocal about it or, at a minimum, aren’t telling others what to do or how to feel. Or maybe they’re just not doing it as frequently or noticeably.
I’m just reading the room…

it’s not my personal take on what I think/value…I know the flaws I have, the mistakes they’ve made…and most importantly how they trick their way out of it…

I actually hold my tongue on people’s personal choices a lot more than you think…because I understand they’re making their choice even if it’s not logically sound.

…so we can all play together 🤪

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m just reading the room…

it’s not my personal take on what I think/value…I know the flaws I have, the mistakes they’ve made…and most importantly how they trick their way out of it…

I actually hold my tongue on people’s personal choices a lot more than you think…because I understand they’re making their choice even if it’s not logically sound.

…so we can all play together 🤪
People play together more amicably if you aren't labeling their choices as illogical or suggesting that they're gullible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom