Kathleen Kennedy Contract Renewed Through 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When/where did they do this? I haven't seen that. I always assume Grog-meister would be back!

Btw, Bad Batch and Visions just don't cut it. You had MCU "What If" but you also had Loki, Wanda, FAWS, Hawkeye, and all the stuff coming next year and the year after.
You think cgi deep fake mark hamill is going to be recurring?

how is there a way around that?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can't get a thing off the ground- we are in times of plenty.
We used to get two hours of content every three years at best.

but it’s not 1982 and they don’t have to use matte paintings and stop motion anymore…punky Brewster called and wants to know if you want to play cabbage patch after school on Friday…by the way
They recently got flak for putting two films out in a year and the releasing the chapter films in every other.
they got flak…from ROBERT A. IGER as means of damage control after two terrible movies. One which died at the box office at 3 weeks (look it up) and one which became the first Star Wars flop ever (look that up too)

I get it though- I want more. And I'd think wanting someone to push the @#% out of something is a sign that what you got already is good and thus not horribly managed.
4 of 5 movies have all but been forgotten…that’s only going to get worse. Maybe 3 of 5 if I’m generous

And don't forget, that management beat Marvel by a whole year in getting a show to Disney+.
and if I remember the documentary right…a couple of dudes that didn’t look like Kathy kennedy or Rian Johnson did all the talking on Those?
actually…filoni was in creative control for all 3 D+ products to make the roku…soon to be 4.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The thing that gets me the most is lack of vision and pumping of the property. The MCU keeps going and going. Even the "setback" (not really much of a setback but rather lackluster reviews) of Eternals is not even close to being enough to put a dent in the MCU momentum.

Meanwhile, LFL cannot get a thing off the ground. Sure, we have the short-lived Fett series. But we don't even know when another season of Mando is coming. Obi is coming but no date. Other than that, we have Ahsoka with an known date and everything else is in a state of mystery.

LFL management has been horrible. They should be pushing the @#$% out of SW on D+.
Even the Marvel series on D+ that we definitely know are coming are in a mystery box when it comes to release date. Sometimes we get told a season or quarter. So, I wouldn't put LucasFilm projects on notice for not having definite dates.

We do know that the next season of Mando has begun production.

erasure fan1

I don't disagree with your general point at all, but I'd mention that they also had The Bad Batch and Star Wars: Visions (and the last season of the Clone Wars) on Disney+.
That is true, but 3 animated series is hardly redeeming of Lucas films incompetence so far. At this point we should be well into an established universe. But no one at Disney, or Lucasfilm can give the direction the franchise is headed. And that really shouldn't sit right with any star wars fan. And if someone says, they know the direction, they just haven't announced it yet. I don't buy it. It's clear tey have zero idea where this is going.

Jedijax719

Quite possibly one of the BIGGEST missteps is not incorporating Batuu into anything. We have a world in Disney that isn't featured in any media.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not so fast! In Solo, L3 says you couldn't find your way to black spire without me. So don't be dissing on Kennedys star wars synergy!
:cautious:
Not to mention the 5 issue Marvel comic book series for GE that came out in 2019:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Quite possibly one of the BIGGEST missteps is not incorporating Batuu into anything. We have a world in Disney that isn't featured in any media.
That only exists because they punted on using the OT as the setting…which the core fans have wanted since 5/25/83 and Disney damn well knew it….but Bob couldn’t claim it…and he and George were in a fight. So they made something up that looked “sorta close”
Not to mention the 5 issue Marvel comic book series for GE that came out in 2019:

The 9 people that know of that are raving mad…one must assume 😎

Last edited:

Jedijax719

I guess I should read comic books then? lol

It's definitely a world and terrain I'd love to see on the big screen or on a live action tv series. Exploring different biomes is one of the many things I loved so much about the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
The 9 people that know of that are raving mad…one must assume 😎
Dunno, guess the 20-30+ guests I saw in line at Star Traders buying copies of them when I went back in summer 2019 must be raving mad.

The only assumption I'll make is that more than those 20-30 I saw bought copies of that series.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Dunno, guess the 20-30+ guests I saw in line at Star Traders buying copies of them when I went back in summer 2019 must be raving mad.

The only assumption I'll make is that more than those 20-30 I saw bought copies of that series.
You mean Star Wars Fans in Disney parks??

I get your point…and you get mine: comics are great but you have to be kinda hard for those.

probably 5% of tickets sold to MCU movies have ever actually touched a comic book

maybe 10? 🤔

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
You mean Star Wars Fans in Disney parks??

I get your point…and you get mine: comics are great but you have to be kinda hard for those.

probably 5% of tickets sold to MCU movies have ever actually touched a comic book

maybe 10? 🤔
I get your point, but don’t agree with it.

This isn’t the 70s where only a small hoard of pimply faced nerds in basements are reading comics. In 2019 comic sales in the US hit a record $1.21B up 11% from 2018 and in 2020 it grew to $1.28B hitting another record. I would say that is in part due to the MCU itself. So it’s probably more than the 5% or 10% of MCU viewers you claim who have picked up a Marvel comic over the years.

Going back to the GE series I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold at least a million copies of it, which is a pretty successful run in comics.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I get your point, but don’t agree with it.

This isn’t the 70s where only a small hoard of pimply faced nerds in basements are reading comics. In 2019 comic sales in the US hit a record $1.21B up 11% from 2018 and in 2020 it grew to $1.28B hitting another record. I would say that is in part due to the MCU itself. So it’s probably more than the 5% or 10% of MCU viewers you claim who have picked up a Marvel comic over the years.

Going back to the GE series I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold at least a million copies of it, which is a pretty successful run in comics.
A successful run…but with 8 billion people on the planet…still niche.

that $1.2 billion for all comics, all year is also the equivalent box office in 4 weeks of a fast and furious movie.

a market…for sure…but we’re talking Star Wars…the thing that dominated screens and TV sets to the point that no studio even tried to put another movie against phantom menace in 99…

if they released one now…would it even be more than an “also ran”?

the point we “negatives”
Make is that Disney has not been a good manager of that iP like at all…there’s a pretty solid case there.

but hopefully better days ahead…that may require kennedy going away, however. No joke.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
A successful run…but with 8 billion people on the planet…still niche.
If you're going by that metric then Star Wars itself is niche..... As even here in the US (where Star Wars is the most popular) not even a Billion tickets have been sold for all Star Wars movies combined even for rerelease. Let alone the rest of the planet, so yeah Star Wars itself is niche.

that $1.2 billion for all comics, all year is also the equivalent box office in 4 weeks of a fast and furious movie.

a market…for sure…but we’re talking Star Wars…the thing that dominated screens and TV sets to the point that no studio even tried to put another movie against phantom menace in 99…

if they released one now…would it even be more than an “also ran”?
No doubt that it was only a small drop in the overall comics bucket, but the point is still the same. There was a market, they were sold, and if Disney so chooses they will expand upon the series and the stories of GE to other mediums.

the point we “negatives”
Make is that Disney has not been a good manager of that iP like at all…there’s a pretty solid case there.
Well that is a matter of opinion, no need to rehash everything in this thread. Sure we can all agree there have been issues and missteps along the way, especially for old school fans. But one can't discount the fans of the sequel trilogy, especially the youngsters growing up now. After all they are the future of Star Wars fandom. You may undoubtedly disagree with them, but they are entitled to like the sequel trilogy just like the 90s kids were entitled to like the prequel trilogy.

but hopefully better days ahead…
That I think we can all agree we hope will happen, no matter who is in-charge of the studio.

that may require kennedy going away, however. No joke.
Again that is a matter of opinion, again no need to rehash everything again in this thread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you're going by that metric then Star Wars itself is niche..... As even here in the US (where Star Wars is the most popular) not even a Billion tickets have been sold for all Star Wars movies combined even for rerelease. Let alone the rest of the planet, so yeah Star Wars itself is niche.

No doubt that it was only a small drop in the overall comics bucket, but the point is still the same. There was a market, they were sold, and if Disney so chooses they will expand upon the series and the stories of GE to other mediums.

Well that is a matter of opinion, no need to rehash everything in this thread. Sure we can all agree there have been issues and missteps along the way, especially for old school fans. But one can't discount the fans of the sequel trilogy, especially the youngsters growing up now. After all they are the future of Star Wars fandom. You may undoubtedly disagree with them, but they are entitled to like the sequel trilogy just like the 90s kids were entitled to like the prequel trilogy.

That I think we can all agree we hope will happen, no matter who is in-charge of the studio.

Again that is a matter of opinion, again no need to rehash everything again in this thread.
It’s fair to say that some “matters of opinion” are more grounded in real terms than others. Some things are “good”…others “not” no matter if opinions vary.

a strange concept - I realize - so I put it this way:

when Disney bought LFL…did any of us think the same comment about prequel fans would be used to defend what Disney had done with their first 10 years?

I know I didn’t…yet there it is. We’ll have to just see how it develops. It has not been good…no matter how many times we cherry pick for our preferred “sides”
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Jedijax719

Since the pandemic started (January 2020), through 2023, these are the stats for SW and Marvel:

MCU: 10 movies, 7 live action TV shows (Wanda, Loki, Falcon, Hawk, Ms. Marvel, Moonknight, Secret Invasion)
SW: 0 movies, 2 MAYBE 3 live action TV shows (Mandalorian season 3-maybe, Book of Fett, Obi-Wan)
I say 0 movies for SW because I consider Rogue Squadron to be unscheduled right now. And there are NO other movies in progress.

So, yeah, SW has been sadly squashed. Sure, one can say "well, SW needs to rest in order to build it back up". But I really think that we need to consider WHY it needs to rest so much and why it is resting THAT much while the MCU is still going hogwild. I mean-they aren't even releasing HALF as much SW as they are MCU. Not even half!!!

That's management and complete disorganization and, well, chaos.

dfisher9

Since the pandemic started (January 2020), through 2023, these are the stats for SW and Marvel:

MCU: 10 movies, 7 live action TV shows (Wanda, Loki, Falcon, Hawk, Ms. Marvel, Moonknight, Secret Invasion)
SW: 0 movies, 2 MAYBE 3 live action TV shows (Mandalorian season 3-maybe, Book of Fett, Obi-Wan)
I say 0 movies for SW because I consider Rogue Squadron to be unscheduled right now. And there are NO other movies in progress.
While your point still stands, Mando season 2 came out in 2020 so that one isn't a maybe, and Andor is scheduled for 2022 and Ahsoka in 2023.

Jedijax719

Mando only came out last year? Yeah, I guess so. Seems longer but TROS came out in December '19.

DAMN it's been a long 2 years!!!!! The pandemic has really messed with my time reference!

Still feeling a tad depressed for not having any SW content coming out this holiday season. My brain has been intertwined with it for the past 6 years!(except last year where my brain was just tangled in general)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While your point still stands, Mando season 2 came out in 2020 so that one isn't a maybe, and Andor is scheduled for 2022 and Ahsoka in 2023.

Mando only came out last year? Yeah, I guess so. Seems longer but TROS came out in December '19.

DAMN it's been a long 2 years!!!!! The pandemic has really messed with my time reference!

Still feeling a tad depressed for not having any SW content coming out this holiday season. My brain has been intertwined with it for the past 6 years!(except last year where my brain was just tangled in general)
First season launched on 11/12/19 with the service…second was December last year…

obviously production was done before the lockdown on both - mostly…

I forgot about the andor series…

so so far - In addition to no movies actually getting made for 3 years (but a lot of talk and awful PR/Twitter fights) - the three D+ live action things made (in addition to Filoni’s cartoon studio) are OT based after Jedi x2…and R1/ OT lead in?

hmmm…nah…no pattern there 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom