Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

Omicron may be spurring some to get the jab. Almost a half million doses last week up 70K
That and boosters, it would be nice if they’d break it down by first shot, second shot, and booster but I get why they don’t, it’s already a lot to track.

If I remember correctly the 10/22 bump was when 5-12 year olds were approved so last week would also be the start of second doses for many.

Either way a half million doses is fantastic

Last edited:

dreday3

Not dismissed, but not really believed. You keep pushing what healthcare should do which means you are telling others to pull the rope harder. Which isn’t really different than what is happening right now, we’ll do everything the same as we want and those in healthcare just have to deal with persistently being overwhelmed.

You don’t seem to want to discuss how to stop people from getting sick in the first place, which includes a whole host of options who don’t like, and instead want to let people get sick and just deal with that surge. Any serious plan is going to keep shutdowns on the table and push for them to be much more seriously enforced.

Yeah, no that's not me. But that's cool, some just don't get each other. My boyfriend just asked why I keep trying to explain my thoughts to strangers who really have no interest in understanding them and he's right! 😀 (again, I was focusing on what we can do going forward, and just one small aspect of it, but it is an aspect I happen to be knowledgeable on)

Its a passionate topic and best to say Goodnight!

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
I'm a bit concerned as I read that Biden is wanting anyone entering the US to have a Covid test the day before, this is for all, including Americans. This is a bit difficult for people like me who the day before they fly to the US have to drive up to the airport, I could start off in the early hours of the day of the flight, like 2am in the morning, but, for safety and to be sure I get to the airport for my flight I prefer to do the drive up the day before and stay in a hotel. So how do I get a test and get the result the day before I fly out. I just hope they can do it at Heathrow and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or I'll just cancel the trip as it's starting to be too much hassle, why can't it be two or three days out? Especially as we have to take a test on the second day of our trip as well.
As per my post earlier in this thread, you don't need to do a PCR. You can do an observed (via video call) antigen test at home and have the results within 3 hours. It doesn't have to be literally 24 hours before, just needs to be the day before. See here: https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/teleheath-lateral-flow-antigen-test/

You also don't need to a do a test on the second day of your trip. The day two test is for when you RETURN to the UK. That does have to be a PCR and you need to isolate until you get the result.

I'd suggest doing some more research as tests at Heathrow will indeed cost a small fortune and you seem to have got some of the testing requirements a bit mixed up. PM me if you need any help as we're well versed in the what is needed due to our trip being in a few weeks.

EDIT: The UK government has announced that we'll need to do a test before flying back to the UK now. It's effective from Tuesday at 4am, can be a lat flow or PCR and has to be done with 48 hours of your flight home.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Vitamin D is supposed to be helpful. I've been taking it for years and have not had a cold since I started taking it.
Since we're following the science...

There's no evidence that taking extra D forestalls or shortens colds. In fact, science can't even agree what normal levels of D are let alone if someone is D deficient outside of showing the symptoms of rickets.

There are no studies to show extra D is helpful with regard to Covid.

Ingesting extra vitamins past what the body can utilize is like trying to put more gas in a car with a full tank.

EpcoTim

We have a long history of plucking qualified medical personnel from their home countries to fill unmet needs here. See, for example, all the practicing physicians in the US who were trained (at least partially) in India and Pakistan. I daresay they are needed far more in their home countries. It isn't exactly fair, but we in the US do benefit quite a bit, albeit at the expense of people in south Asia.
This is a shameful practice that needs to be banned.

DisneyCane

That and boosters, it would be nice if they’d break it down by first shot, second shot, and booster but I get why they don’t, it’s already a lot to track.

If I remember correctly the 10/22 bump was when 5-12 year olds were approved so last week would also be the start of second doses for many.

Either way a half million doses is fantastic
They do break it down. Look on the top right where it says "previous week" for each type of dose.

Uptake in 5-11 year old's went up by 1% (roughly 17k kids) from 8% to 9% in the prior week. As I commented previously, there is not a exactly a stampede of parents rushing to get their 5-11 year old children vaccinated.

DisneyCane

There's no evidence that taking extra D forestalls or shortens colds. In fact, science can't even agree what normal levels of D are let alone if someone is D deficient outside of showing the symptoms of rickets.

Ingesting extra vitamins past what the body can utilize is like trying to put more gas in a car with a full tank.
But when I find a station with a significantly cheaper price I fill it until I have the gas all the way up to the fill opening. It doesn't work the same in biology? :)

dreday3

But when I find a station with a significantly cheaper price I fill it until I have the gas all the way up to the fill opening. It doesn't work the same in biology? :)

Not to get really dorky, but I just did a giant audit on vitamin D assays based on NCDs\LCDs from CMS and you'd be surprised at the information on vitamin D.

DisneyCane

Not to get really dorky, but I just did a giant audit on vitamin D assays based on NCDs\LCDs from CMS and you'd be surprised at the information on vitamin D.
I guess if it can be studied it will be studied!

I was found to have a vitamin D deficiency when I finally went for a checkup after 15 years or so back in May so my doctor told me to take supplements.

dreday3

I guess if it can be studied it will be studied!

I was found to have a vitamin D deficiency when I finally went for a checkup after 15 years or so back in May so my doctor told me to take supplements.

Oh deficiency definitely is a real thing, you just might be surprised at the limitations Medicare puts on allowing payments for the testing! 😂

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Vitamin D supplementation was all the rage about 15 years ago because many conditions were found to have a strong correlation to deficiency.

But subsequent work has not shown an improvement in most outcomes with vitamin D supplementation, which means the measured deficiency was likely a side effect of the illnesses, rather than a contributing factor.

Vitamin D supplmentation is useful in preventing rickets and osteomalacia, but not much else.

Vegas Disney Fan

They do break it down. Look on the top right where it says "previous week" for each type of dose.

Uptake in 5-11 year old's went up by 1% (roughly 17k kids) from 8% to 9% in the prior week. As I commented previously, there is not a exactly a stampede of parents rushing to get their 5-11 year old children vaccinated.
Thank you, I’ve been following this thread for months and never noticed that. Someone mentioned they may need to increase their font size in another thread, I may need to do the same. 🤦🏼‍♂️

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That represents the food you eat. That fills your D tank. Supplements are superfluous unless you have symptoms of rickets {vitamin D deficiency}.

Supplements are like pouring gas on top of the motor.

dreday3

Haha, just got a recorded call from my county stating that boosters are now available, recommended, and it looks like I am eligible. I imagine this is because I got my first doses through our county outreach program.

Hey, how are your side effects? Should be okay because my guy had a 100.8 fever! 😂 (not laughing at fever, but rather at how powerful my jinx is)

hopemax

Vitamin D supplmentation is useful in preventing rickets and osteomalacia, but not much else.
From first hand experience, psoriasis. They aren't still quite sure why, something to do with keratinocytes, but improvements have been observed in several research studies, used in medications, and recommended as a dietary treatment option.

bubbles1812

I'm a bit concerned as I read that Biden is wanting anyone entering the US to have a Covid test the day before, this is for all, including Americans. This is a bit difficult for people like me who the day before they fly to the US have to drive up to the airport, I could start off in the early hours of the day of the flight, like 2am in the morning, but, for safety and to be sure I get to the airport for my flight I prefer to do the drive up the day before and stay in a hotel. So how do I get a test and get the result the day before I fly out. I just hope they can do it at Heathrow and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or I'll just cancel the trip as it's starting to be too much hassle, why can't it be two or three days out? Especially as we have to take a test on the second day of our trip as well.
I would be surprised if there is no testing site around/in Heathrow that could accommodate you. And I believe an Antigen Test (ie the rapid) will be required as there are only a limited number of places that can turnaround a PCR in less than 24 hours.

Two to three days out would have been lovely and that is what it was for the vaccinated but c’est la vie, Omicron reared it’s head. Theoretically, it’s so they can better catch people with this more contagious variant. As someone who is supposed to go to Egypt for 3 weeks next month, I’m just greatful for no expanded travel ban or post travel quarantine requirement (for now).

Here is the CDC’s website for travel requirements:

Rapid antigen is accepted, just make sure it’s the right kind, wherever you get tested.

bubbles1812

Denial can be deadly even so in the medical industry. A family member of mine sees his cardiologist 1x a year for check ups. Recently he saw him, he remarked the doctor must have gained at least 50 lbs.
Speaking as someone who once landed in emergency surgery because she dismissed a surgical abdominal problem as just a viral bug (‘I’ll totally feel better tomorrow, Mom’…. ED three hours later… my mother was *not* thrilled) while she was in residency, doctors can be the worst patients. 😅

(Though, I’ll also say the last two years have been very hard. It’s tough taking care of yourself when you’re working in a constantly stressed/breaking medical system, battling misinformation, dealing with understaffing, and you are hardwired to place the patients before yourself. 😞 We are definitely not immune to the same issues with weight gain, depression, ect that everyone else is dealing with, even if we theoretically know better).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom