Cost of going to DW waaaay too high.

SteveAZee

Parking was 50 cents in 1972 when I went
"Ticket prices have risen more than 3,000% over Walt Disney World's history. When the Magic Kingdom first greeted guests in 1971, the cost to enter the theme park was $3.50 for adults, and $1 for children. In 2021 dollars, that would equate to roughly $24 and $6.75, adjusting for the rate of inflation.Oct 1, 2021"
D ticket rides were 75 cents and E ticket rides were 90 cents

Disney greed
There is greed. If you were to go back to 1972, though, you'd be missing:

Pirates
Space Mtn.
CoP
Peoplemover
Big Thunder
Splash
Fantasyland Expansion

...among many others.

Bigger park with better rides means more $ to get in and have fun.

Greg in TN

Disney is certainly w/in their rights to choose whatever price-point they wish. I'm a free-market capitalist through & through, and I definitely understand maximizing profits. That doesn't mean that I like what Disney is doing or how they're doing it, though. With all the nickel-&-diming they've done, I don't see the value that I once did, and I don't intend to pay it. Instead, I will relish my memories of the Disney that DID have tremendous value to me.

In addition, I continue to wonder how this business strategy will play out in the long run. Has Disney priced themselves too high for the majority of families to make multiple return trips over the years? And on the trip they do take, if they return home feeling less "magic," are they fostering future generations of Disney loyalists? Or will future generations more easily opt for other destinations, rather than Disney? Does Disney become just another of thousands of vacation destinations that someone can choose from, rather than the Magical "Home Away From Home" that draws people back, time after time.

If you go to a restaurant where the prices are very reasonable, and the food & service are excellent, do you go back? And do you tell people about it? On the other hand, if the restaurant prices are EXPENSIVE, and the food & service are only fair, how many people do you tell about it, and how many times do you go back ? Which restaurant has to work harder to attract patrons? It becomes the same question at Disney, only a much larger scale.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Disney is certainly w/in their rights to choose whatever price-point they wish. I'm a free-market capitalist through & through, and I definitely understand maximizing profits. That doesn't mean that I like what Disney is doing or how they're doing it, though. With all the nickel-&-diming they've done, I don't see the value that I once did, and I don't intend to pay it. Instead, I will relish my memories of the Disney that DID have tremendous value to me.

In addition, I continue to wonder how this business strategy will play out in the long run. Has Disney priced themselves too high for the majority of families to make multiple return trips over the years? And on the trip they do take, if they return home feeling less "magic," are they fostering future generations of Disney loyalists? Or will future generations more easily opt for other destinations, rather than Disney? Does Disney become just another of thousands of vacation destinations that someone can choose from, rather than the Magical "Home Away From Home" that draws people back, time after time.

If you go to a restaurant where the prices are very reasonable, and the food & service are excellent, do you go back? And do you tell people about it? On the other hand, if the restaurant prices are EXPENSIVE, and the food & service are only fair, how many people do you tell about it, and how many times do you go back ? Which restaurant has to work harder to attract patrons? It becomes the same question at Disney, only a much larger scale.
Everything you say is spot on, the problem is this was the case for many, many years at WDW and it was discussed on these boards for many years Folks still come. Pandemic or not, folks still come.

Prices raised on everything, things that were free eliminated or now have a price, offerings reduced, anything you can think of, and yet, folks still come.

I just don’t see an end to it honestly.

TWDC who claims to all inclusive are making their theme park experience an exclusive one for only those who can afford it regardless what is offered.

All That said, it’s working..

Jrb1979

I'm a theme park fan, not a Disney fan. I can pay less for a trip to visit multiple European/Asian parks than going to WDW.

It's a better value (and more worthwhile) to go all the way to Tokyo Disneyland than WDW... and I live in Miami.
Europe has some of the best parks in the world. It's why I'm surprised so many UK people travel to Orlando.

Lilofan

Europe has some of the best parks in the world. It's why I'm surprised so many UK people travel to Orlando.
One of the reasons of a number of them - shopping in bulk at the Orlando Premium discount outlets on I-Drive and the FL Mall. For UK and Brazilian tourists, Orlando is their shoppers paradise.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Everything you say is spot on, the problem is this was the case for many, many years at WDW and it was discussed on these boards for many years Folks still come. Pandemic or not, folks still come.

Prices raised on everything, things that were free eliminated or now have a price, offerings reduced, anything you can think of, and yet, folks still come.

TWDC who claims to all inclusive are making their theme park experience an exclusive one for only those who can afford it regardless what is offered.

Folks were complaining prior to the pandemic that it was getting too crowded, so here's the solution they implemented: fewer people, higher costs.

jloucks

There is an an end, if Econ 101 was telling the truth. At some point, price will drive demand down.

We're not there yet.

The calculations get really complicated when you try to consider folks like me, who spend like crazy in the parks and don't mid high-ticket prices, also don't appreciate a cattle car experience where we feel like our time is not valued (long lines).

I have not been back to WDW for many years because I feel like they don't value my time, which I might add, is quickly becoming the most valuable thing I have. I mentioned before, I landed reservations for Starcruiser for an exorbitant price, but if that turns out to be a hot crowded mess, I will likely never try WDW again.

...maybe DCL tho, that was pretty good, albeit 5 digits for 7 days.

Disstevefan1

Folks were complaining prior to the pandemic that it was getting too crowded, so here's the solution they implemented: fewer people, higher costs.
I have not been in the parks since December 2019.
We know there are less folks in the park now in Dec 2021.
We know EVERYTHING costs more and the offerings are less now in December 2021 than in December 2019.

The question is, is the guest experience better now in Dec. 2021 than it was in December 2019?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can literally fly my family of 6 to Paris, spend 4 days at Disneyland Paris, plus another week touring France for less than the price of a week vacation at WDW.... but my daughter wants WDW for her graduation trip. Oh well.
But I think I see the problem, essence of why the complaints are building round here…
So long as massive mobs of people keep paying it, it is not too high.

One could argue, the prices are too low if the demand is that high.

You don't want to know what I am about to pay for a stay at the Starcruiser. :p

Yes, I was able to get reservations. :D
That is a completely frivolous stance that was used to defend Iger the last 10 years by the honor guard.

disney parks were built for large attendance and that requires a somewhat stable level of value. This is not Laissez-Faire…

what is happening now…which near everyone is rather ticked about (welcome to the party…drinks are in the pool out back…) is that bad strategy on steroids.

Disney has a certain way of business that is tied to them…and it’s a big reason why they are so profitable/successful…

you decide it’s no longer needed? You now risk losing your shield to the market and whim. And just so happens the market isn’t in love with you right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is an an end, if Econ 101 was telling the truth. At some point, price will drive demand down.

We're not there yet.

The calculations get really complicated when you try to consider folks like me, who spend like crazy in the parks and don't mid high-ticket prices, also don't appreciate a cattle car experience where we feel like our time is not valued (long lines).

I have not been back to WDW for many years because I feel like they don't value my time, which I might add, is quickly becoming the most valuable thing I have. I mentioned before, I landed reservations for Starcruiser for an exorbitant price, but if that turns out to be a hot crowded mess, I will likely never try WDW again.

...maybe DCL tho, that was pretty good, albeit 5 digits for 7 days.
I had Econ 001 for 3 months and have spent 25+ years observing how it’s foolish - in fact - to try and summarize human instincts and brainwaves down to 5 terms…

the world is oh, so grey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom