News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They had very good timing on the launch of a family friendly streaming service before everybody got sent home for a year. Diversification is very important in your portfolio!
Disney is/was well diversified long before hopping on the bandwagon and launching their own streaming service.
50E129EA-1614-4A07-BA34-77DDD597315C.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Linear channels saved Disney during the pandemic. But the future is that linear channels will decrease as streaming increases. Streaming is the continuation of diversification.
…they’ve got that…and they’ll have to continue to expand.

but that’s the Shiny object In the front window…in the “factory” behind is a conglomerate that has to pull from everywhere…the heaviest chunks still are their archaic broadcast stations and parks that Bob wants to flame out by about 2024 and his current ST-51-L rate of thrust

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

but that’s the Shiny object In the front window…in the “factory” behind is a conglomerate that has to pull from everywhere…the heaviest chunks still their archaic broadcast stations and parks that Bob wants to flame out by about 2024 and his current ST-51-L rate of thrust
“Roger, go at throttle up”

“Uh oh”

😢

Tom P.

but that’s the Shiny object In the front window…in the “factory” behind is a conglomerate that has to pull from everywhere…the heaviest chunks still are their archaic broadcast stations and parks that Bob wants to flame out by about 2024 and his current ST-51-L rate of thrust
I can see the argument that things are *going* flame out by 2024 at the current burn rate. But what evidence do you have that Chapek actually *wants* them to flame out?

Tom P.

Fair point. Personally, I think he (Bob 2.0) is too stupid to see anything past next quarter. Unprecedented demand!!!

If he doesn't, then he's even more incompetent than I thought.
Honestly, I don't think it's either stupidity or incompetence, nor do I think he is deliberately designing things to flame out by 2024.

Rather, I think it is part of a systemic problem with publicly traded companies in the United States that has developed over several decades but has gotten exponentially worse in the last few years. And that is the demand by the market that companies be focused on nothing but quarterly numbers. Companies need to innovate, to invest, and to think long-term in order to survive for the long haul. But the market actively discourages anything that does not produce immediate quarterly profits.

I don't think Chapek wants things to go south. But I think he views a date like 2024 as a "future problem" and that his focus must be on the next quarter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can see the argument that things are *going* flame out by 2024 at the current burn rate. But what evidence do you have that Chapek actually *wants* them to flame out?
I don’t have any evidence he wants to kill it…

…the problem is the old guard fans have zero evidence he wants to hang around for 20 years like the last 2 (who were younger, more ambitious about ego, and frankly better)

ImperfectPixie

Honestly, I don't think it's either stupidity or incompetence, nor do I think he is deliberately designing things to flame out by 2024.

Rather, I think it is part of a systemic problem with publicly traded companies in the United States that has developed over several decades but has gotten exponentially worse in the last few years. And that is the demand by the market that companies be focused on nothing but quarterly numbers. Companies need to innovate, to invest, and to think long-term in order to survive for the long haul. But the market actively discourages anything that does not produce immediate quarterly profits.

I don't think Chapek wants things to go south. But I think he views a date like 2024 as a "future problem" and that his focus must be on the next quarter.
A good CEO and BoD wouldn't focus solely on the next quarter. The pattern we've been seeing from the company is unsustainable.

Vegas Disney Fan

A good CEO and BoD wouldn't focus solely on the next quarter. The pattern we've been seeing from the company is unsustainable.

I think boards attempt to address long term stability by making CEO compensation very stock heavy, unfortunately the CEOs still need to primarily focus on the short term to make sure they keep the investors happy and retain their job long enough to get next years stocks and options though.

Igers pay in 2018 was $65 million but less than $2 million of that was actual salary, he got $18 million in bonuses and $45 million in stock and options. That’s 45 million dollars worth of incentive to protect the future of the company.

Iger made a fortune as CEO but the majority of his fortune is in Disney stock, if the company stumbles in the future his net worth does too. It’s very much in his best interest to make sure Disney is successful long term.

ImperfectPixie

I think boards attempt to address long term stability by making CEO compensation very stock heavy, unfortunately the CEOs still need to primarily focus on the short term to make sure they keep the investors happy and retain their job long enough to get next years stocks and options though.

Igers pay in 2018 was $65 million but less than $2 million of that was actual salary, he got $18 million in bonuses and $45 million in stock and options. That’s 45 million dollars worth of incentive to protect the future of the company.

Iger made a fortune as CEO but the majority of his fortune is in Disney stock, if the company stumbles in the future his net worth does too. It’s very much in his best interest to make sure Disney is successful long term.
Not really. He can bail at any time. And didn't he already sell off half?

Lilofan

As of Nov 2021, Iger's net worth was $800M. He will be fine moving forward.

Vegas Disney Fan

Not really. He can bail at any time. And didn't he already sell off half?
He sold about half for $100 million, he still owns another $100 million worth of Disney stock though.

In theory a CEO could sell all their stock the day they retire/get fired but they’re in a position to make their stock worth much more if they set the company up for success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom