Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

Which ends up being like 1% of the company because most don't want to lose their jobs.
Try finding a place to dine in regarding fast food places up and down I-95 off the interstate from NC to the FL border. and if you do see if the full menu is even offered.

Patcheslee

That sounds horrible. Already functioning with only 60% of required staff. I can completely see that loosing even just 1 person would be a disaster. Vaccine mandate or not, that's not really sustainable. Time to buy that Powerball ticket, YOU could be the one to leave. :cool:

Have we seen that anywhere that has a mandate though? The highest I remember is 2% and most new stories were 1% or less. Have we actually seen any company say they lost 5% or 10% or more because of a vaccine requirement, in any industry?
They've always played the numbers game in my department, but not to this extent maybe at 85% staffing. We're sort of the redheaded step children no one likes cause the job is dirty and you don't get to sit in a chair like on assembly. We all get the same pay scale so why work harder I guess. Covid hit and laid off all temps, no ability to return. When they did start bringing temps in again they have them work until they are eligible for full time, but not in the same department, so we get fresh ones again, some don't bother with their temp time after finding out there aren't full time positions in the department. I've been playing the Powerball it won't cooperate lol
Has anyone broke down where the employee losses are by state or industry? It'd be interesting to see based on experience required i.e. nursing, flight attendants, vs not much training required.

mmascari

I said a few months back that I fully expect the transportation mask mandate to be in place at least until late January 2025.
I fear you're right. I don't want you to be right here, but I just don't see us vaccinating fast enough to get the numbers really down. I feel like we're going to need a few years of 300K plus deaths before we've infected enough people to change the dynamic.

Try finding a place to dine in regarding fast food places up and down I-95 off the interstate from NC to the FL border. and if you do see if the full menu is even offered.
I wouldn't use fast food to generalize all businesses. Fast food has always been a rough job, underpaid, and underappreciated. We saw huge numbers of those workers laid off. It's not like those people didn't have bills to pay. Presumably, lots of them found something else to do. Something that may have paid the same or better, but very well could have been better or at least not worse to work at. Just because fast food opened back up, there's no reason for lots of those laid off workers to come back. They've moved on to something else. New workers are looking at what happened to the old ones and they're thinking they can find something better too. Combined, it's no surprise that an undervalued job isn't going to attack people back at the same rate they let them go.

Lilofan

I fear you're right. I don't want you to be right here, but I just don't see us vaccinating fast enough to get the numbers really down. I feel like we're going to need a few years of 300K plus deaths before we've infected enough people to change the dynamic.

I wouldn't use fast food to generalize all businesses. Fast food has always been a rough job, underpaid, and underappreciated. We saw huge numbers of those workers laid off. It's not like those people didn't have bills to pay. Presumably, lots of them found something else to do. Something that may have paid the same or better, but very well could have been better or at least not worse to work at. Just because fast food opened back up, there's no reason for lots of those laid off workers to come back. They've moved on to something else. New workers are looking at what happened to the old ones and they're thinking they can find something better too. Combined, it's no surprise that an undervalued job isn't going to attack people back at the same rate they let them go.
It is not generalizing all businesses but fast food places are locations that travelers expect to be open regular hours with a full menu however with the sign of the times including the Great Resignation it is a different world now.

Heppenheimer

That's quite interesting. Last night, we were driving along I-93 in NH looking for a non-McDonald's option for a quick bite to eat. There were very few choices open on a Wednesday night. I knew the pandemic was likely the reason, but I also chalked it up to living in a relatively sparsely populated region of the US. But if the I-95 corridor is having trouble staffing, that's a whole different ballgame.

Disstevefan1

Is this supposed to imply that corners were cut or that it wasn't safe?

Because that would be a total line of crap.

All the same safety steps were used in the approval of the COVID vaccines as other vaccines.

It's amazing how much time you can save finding enough people to enroll in the study and have enough of them exposed to the disease where there is rampant uncontrolled spread occurring.

If I was testing a Rabies vaccine in the US, it could take decades to have enough exposure events to gather any useful data. COVID events in a single day during the testing were many orders of magnitudes larger.
No, there was a previous post saying playing it “too safe” doesn’t hurt anyone.

Obviously delaying the vaccine in the name of playing safe would have hurt a lot of folks.

It was meant to say, playing things “too safe” could end up as no action whatsoever. It was right to get the vaccines approved as soon as possible. The previous administration did a great job in doing that.

In life there is risk, risk is all around us, some never think of it, some take on risk, some are paralyzed playing it “too safe”..

Tom P.

It's not the goal posts moving. Unless the date is the goal post, but that makes no sense. It's our inability to reach the goal that keeps shifting the prediction on when we'll get there.

A pessimist would say we'll never reach the goal, and hence the date will never come. I don't think it's that bad, we'll get there, eventually...
No, the goal posts keep moving.

Vegas Disney Fan

DCBaker

Premium Member
How did blog Mickey get the numbers before the Florida Dept of health website?

(Guess I shouldn’t be surprised a gov run website would be slower than a blogger 🤔)

Wish they’d have given the numbers, now I’m curious.

The data comes from the CDC - the Florida DOH report comes out tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 5.24.49 PM.png

hopemax

So Omicron... here is my concern... the "people who know stuff" saw the initial reports and got very concerned. The media took it and dialed it up to 20, so then other people started trying to dial the panic back and so now what people are *hearing* is Omicron isn't a big enough deal for people to do anything. Problem is, what if Omicron really is a big deal? Now that you've told people to not panic, will they even listen to you at all when you start telling them that there is some serious stuff going on and people should temper their holiday plans for another year? No they won't. And everyone will be all shocked again when bad stuff happens. Because now preliminary stuff is coming out and it's not good.

I've posted a bunch of stuff by Trevor Bedford, who is doing a lot of the work on the genomic side of things. And he retweeted this thread. This person's preliminary number crunching for Omicron is that increased transmissibility can not account for the steep rise in cases in Southern African countries. In South Africa, .39% of the population has already died, that happens when a huge portion of the country has already been infected. When that happens evolutionary pressure turns from transmissibility to immune escape. And since we're talking Africa which has lower vax numbers, we are talking about natural immunity escape. Bottom line, his napkin numbers are an R0 increase from 6 for Delta to 8.45 for Omicron. Which, if you do the associated math, leaves reinfection rates at potentially 4.8X Delta.

Second, the one that the media has picked up on... researchers that had previously calculated re-infection for previous waves, updated their findings for Omicron and calculated 2.4X (some reports are rounding up to 3X) reinfection rate over Delta. But they did not have access to patient vaccination status to evaluate natural vs vaccine derived immunity. They also point out the largest group of people re-infected had been infected with Delta, so their primary infection is fairly recent and people are still getting re-infected.

So the point... you all can decide if you would rather have an idea of the wave that's heading this way, and if there is anyone in your circle that you need to start thinking about being careful with again due to their individual health concerns, make sure your protection is as good as possible by getting boosted... Or decide to stay on the "no changes" path until more data comes in which may be too late to prevent your vulnerable person becoming a statistic depending on which part of the US gets hit first, and local vax levels. A bunch of people have placed their bets that their previous infection is good enough. We're going to find out. So far vaccinated individuals are fairing okay in terms of severe outcomes, so vaccination does have a purpose to increase the odds. Too soon to know what will happen with people who have been boosted. But in the US, we have a lot of older people, and as people love to point out a lot of people of all ages with significant comorbidities, so will that hold up when these people start getting exposed? We will also see.

Lilofan

I would go to three different pharmacies and get three boosters, just to be safe.
Covid booster when I got it was a piece of cake to me. After getting my first shingles vaccine last night and the next one in 2-6 months to complete the vaccine, I feel like getting knocked out in a 15 round boxing match feeling dizzy, painful and sluggish. This sucks.

dreday3

So Omicron... here is my concern... the "people who know stuff" saw the initial reports and got very concerned. The media took it and dialed it up to 20, so then other people started trying to dial the panic back and so now what people are *hearing* is Omicron isn't a big enough deal for people to do anything. Problem is, what if Omicron really is a big deal? Now that you've told people to not panic, will they even listen to you at all when you start telling them that there is some serious stuff going on and people should temper their holiday plans for another year? No they won't. And everyone will be all shocked again when bad stuff happens. Because now preliminary stuff is coming out and it's not good.

I've posted a bunch of stuff by Trevor Bedford, who is doing a lot of the work on the genomic side of things. And he retweeted this thread. This person's preliminary number crunching for Omicron is that increased transmissibility can not account for the steep rise in cases in Southern African countries. In South Africa, .39% of the population has already died, that happens when a huge portion of the country has already been infected. When that happens evolutionary pressure turns from transmissibility to immune escape. And since we're talking Africa which has lower vax numbers, we are talking about natural immunity escape. Bottom line, his napkin numbers are an R0 increase from 6 for Delta to 8.45 for Omicron. Which, if you do the associated math, leaves reinfection rates at potentially 4.8X Delta.

Second, the one that the media has picked up on... researchers that had previously calculated re-infection for previous waves, updated their findings for Omicron and calculated 2.4X (some reports are rounding up to 3X) reinfection rate over Delta. But they did not have access to patient vaccination status to evaluate natural vs vaccine derived immunity. They also point out the largest group of people re-infected had been infected with Delta, so their primary infection is fairly recent and people are still getting re-infected.

So the point... you all can decide if you would rather have an idea of the wave that's heading this way, and if there is anyone in your circle that you need to start thinking about being careful with again due to their individual health concerns, make sure your protection is as good as possible by getting boosted... Or decide to stay on the "no changes" path until more data comes in which may be too late to prevent your vulnerable person becoming a statistic depending on which part of the US gets hit first, and local vax levels. A bunch of people have placed their bets that their previous infection is good enough. We're going to find out. So far vaccinated individuals are fairing okay in terms of severe outcomes, so vaccination does have a purpose to increase the odds. Too soon to know what will happen with people who have been boosted. But in the US, we have a lot of older people, and as people love to point out a lot of people of all ages with significant comorbidities, so will that hold up when these people start getting exposed? We will also see.

Reading through, seems hospitalized are still mostly unvaccinated and those who are vaccinated seem to still have protection from severe disease. That gives me some comfort.

Unfortunately its seems this variant will rip through countries very fast.

Happy to say almost everyone I care about has gotten their boosters.

dreday3

Reading through, seems hospitalized are still mostly unvaccinated and those who are vaccinated seem to still have protection from severe disease. That gives me some comfort.

Unfortunately its seems this variant will rip through countries very fast.

Happy to say almost everyone I care about has gotten their boosters.

Quoting myself. Also reading that while hospitalized cases are going up, the cases being treated aren't as severe as previous waves. That is positive! But of course will still fill hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom