Hoop Dee Doo?

mikejs78

Premium Member
There is, but for whatever reason, Disney hasn’t returned to their normal stagings yet. All of their live shows are still staged with social distancing in effect.

I don’t disagree. We were packed shoulder to shoulder on Main Street Friday night for Enchantment with no masks, but when I went to ride Space Mountain, with no one on either side of me, I had to wear a mask. It makes no sense (and I’m not anti-mask, but let’s use some common sense).
Not arbitrary at all, based on the science. We've learned that outdoor transmission is basically not a thing, and indoor transmission, especially with the delta variant, is high. It would be very difficult to have a rule and enforce it saying you have to wear mass indoors except when there is no one near you, so having a rule that says masks indoors but allowing it outdoors is simple, sound, and based on science.

yensidtlaw1969

Whatever happened to understudies and "...the show must go on..."?
A Pandemic.

“The Show Must Go On” is about professionalism on a collective level. When someone gets the sniffles, the show is prepared to swap them out and continue anyway for the sake of the paying audience.

But if your leading man gets COVID, you can’t just tell his understudy to go onstage and start kissing the leading lady who may have already been infected by the leading man. That’s not showing professional respect for the performers, the crew, OR the audience - at that point continuing would be negligence.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Whatever happened to understudies and "...the show must go on..."?

That only goes so far and certainly doesn't extend to a pandemic. One member of the company had a breakthrough case, and initially they re-tested the whole cast and there were no other positives. So, the "show went on" after a one night closure with an understudy. Later in the week, as they continued testing the company, other members of the cast had breakthrough cases stemming from that one individual. A decision was made to close the show down for 10 days to allow time to detect additional breakthrough cases and for the infected (who I'm told are all just fine, mostly asymptomatic) to quarantine.

It was a prudent decision by Disney Theatricals and cost them a good deal of money, but it was the right call.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Kenny the Pirate (not the most reliable source of anything, for those that don't know) is running with a story about Hoop Dee Doo returning "soon" because of something Richard the piano player said when he made his one day return for the 50th. He had been one of the two Smilin' Jacks at Pioneer Hall prior to the closure and someone asked him on 10/1 if he would be back at Casey's again. He said no it was a one day only thing because he was going back to Pioneer Hall "soon." Kenny has taken that to mean the show's return is imminent. I wouldn't read too much into Richard's remarks. Soon could mean a lot of things for different people. It is my understanding the show won't return until early next year, which I guess could still be considered "soon."

montyz81

Very surprising that this and Spirit of Aloha didn't get more air time this weekend. I figured HDD return date would be announced and a new dinner show for the Poly would be announced.

Zummi Gummi

Had dinner at Cape May Cafe tonight. Miss Gloria was our server, and if you’ve ever spent time at Pioneer Hall, you know who she is. She claims they’re being told “February”, but I haven’t the faintest idea who told her that and how reliable that is. Incidentally, she also told me she can’t wait to go back and made it quite clear she didn’t particularly enjoy working at Cape May Cafe.

My understanding is that the show isn’t returning until there’s no distancing necessary, as there really is no way to restage that show with physical distancing. That came directly from a performer.

So maybe Disney believes that by February they won’t need to distance the cast? Or maybe Gloria spoke with a bus driver. Who knows?

castlecake2.0

Had dinner at Cape May Cafe tonight. Miss Gloria was our server, and if you’ve ever spent time at Pioneer Hall, you know who she is. She claims they’re being told “February”, but I haven’t the faintest idea who told her that and how reliable that is. Incidentally, she also told me she can’t wait to go back and made it quite clear she didn’t particularly enjoy working at Cape May Cafe.

My understanding is that the show isn’t returning until there’s no distancing necessary, as there really is no way to restage that show with physical distancing. That came directly from a performer.

So maybe Disney believes that by February they won’t need to distance the cast? Or maybe Gloria spoke with a bus driver. Who knows?
I heard the same February date from my friend whose deployed at BOG right now, though they said it’s been a moving target.

Zummi Gummi

I heard the same February date from my friend whose deployed at BOG right now, though they said it’s been a moving target.

Yeah, because she also said they had “hoped to be home in the Hall for Christmas” and that obviously isn’t happening. Moving target seems like a good way to put it.

Zummi Gummi

This doesn’t seem like the place to discuss abortion, so here’s some pictures I took at some performances not long before the shut down to try and get us back on track.

8F0348AC-F71A-4236-AB77-16AE43F73F51.jpeg
8569E84B-2BE8-497A-96DF-CCE2A418FA0F.jpeg
F5F41302-D04B-4174-ABFC-653E64C6B44C.jpeg
10FF6ACC-F4A3-40D8-AEC8-96C23D3A49B8.jpeg
EA89D13A-8097-44FE-9260-905E04B3247F.jpeg
64FE423B-F8E7-4900-A824-ADAB842D5291.jpeg
917C0636-9525-48C3-AE5C-B70611CA5138.jpeg
7EF429E5-B9FE-4179-A830-1AA3B5D535AD.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom