What is going on with the Play Pavillion?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So whats the story with this? Haven't heard anything in ages about it.

doctornick

I'm curious as to the state of things inside the building. I was under the impression that it was mostly already done but basically that Disney doesn't want to open a very contact oriented indoor location while the pandemic is going on.

ToTBellHop

Or it could become an actual attraction like when it was Life, before it was closed for absolutely no good reason.
It is astonishing that World Discovery won’t have a medicine pavilion. Seriously? Let’s discover Xandar but not cutting edge medicine? Guests could sample experimental mRNA vaccines and then go to the nearby Incredibles simulator to learn their new superpower before battling Screenslaver.

doctornick

Or it could become an actual attraction like when it was Life, before it was closed for absolutely no good reason.

It is becoming an actual attraction, not really that different from what the main WoL building was prior to the pavilion closing.

What is missing - and I would agree would also be beneficial - would be to put a new ride in the Body Wars space and a new show in the Cranium Command theater. Doing that in addition to the planned Play! stuff would be a great addition for Epcot in general and World Discovery in particular. AFAIK, they aren't using the footprint of those areas for Play! so the space is still available for actual additions.

Would be great if any new ride was a more family friendly one given the other options on the east side of the park there.

ImperfectPixie

It is astonishing that World Discovery won’t have a medicine pavilion. Seriously? Let’s discover Xandar but not cutting edge medicine? Guests could sample experimental mRNA vaccines and then go to the nearby Incredibles simulator to learn their new superpower before battling Screenslaver.
They could even pull from the gaming world and let kids mix DNA strands to create new species of animals.

ETA: For example...much like a D&D player builds their character by choosing appearance and character traits...same kind of idea, but the end result would be a new species based on their choices.

Animaniac93-98

It's amazing how Disney simultaneously has the attitude that it is both too expensive to update pavilions without sponsors, but not too expensive to spend significantly more money to replace the whole thing. The amount of wasted capacity by having this thing site idle for 15 years and counting is absurd.

Then there's The Great Movie Ride which had a sponsor and then they decided to close it anyway to save a few bucks in the short term.

Centauri Space Station

It's amazing how Disney simultaneously has the attitude that it is both too expensive to update pavilions without sponsors, but not too expensive to spend significantly more money to replace the whole thing. The amount of wasted capacity by having this thing site idle for 15 years and counting is absurd.

Then there's The Great Movie Ride which had a sponsor and then they decided to close it anyway to save a few bucks in the short term.
I doubt gutting and redoing an entire attraction is was cheap

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I had a dream about this one. In it the development of PLAY! was scrapped in favor of a licensed Void-like attraction featuring Pixar's Inside Out...yeah I don't know. Weird dream. But the bigger take away was that the bulk of the Play Pavilion funding would instead go toward a new Imagination overhaul. The dream however ultimately ended on a bittersweet cynical note after discovering that the Imagination ride overhaul announcement was done to pacify the fandom that had grown disloyal to Disney following the shortsighted mishandling of the Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog reimagining.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom