Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danissmart

And that usually happens immediately once people see the needle go into their arm. If they don't pass out right then and there, it probably won't happen at all.

You are correct, passing out is not a sign of an allergic reaction. Or at least, not the initial sign.
I passed out about 10 minutes after my initial injection.

The Mom

Premium Member
Eh, people receiving the same brand booster don't have to hang around the 15 minutes afterwards. There is limited waiting areas where available. i.e. go stand in this corner for 15 minutes. The local hospital is vaccinating 5-11yos only.
It appears that waiting is up to however is administering the shot - even in the same location. My husband and I both got our boosters at the same location. He was told to wait 15 minutes, I was handed back my shot card and told I was good to go. He got Moderna, I got Pfizer.

So it may be dependent on brand, location, or whoever is administering the shot - especially if they had someone with a bad reaction in the past! But there is no reason to argue about it.

DisneyCane

It appears that waiting is up to however is administering the shot - even in the same location. My husband and I both got our boosters at the same location. He was told to wait 15 minutes, I was handed back my shot card and told I was good to go. He got Moderna, I got Pfizer.

So it may be dependent on brand, location, or whoever is administering the shot - especially if they had someone with a bad reaction in the past! But there is no reason to argue about it.
We can argue about if we should be arguing about it. At least it would be a new argument! :)

GimpYancIent

It is interesting how the WHO and South African medical authorities present the South African variant, not exactly in the same way. "The new Omicron variant of the coronavirus results in mild disease, without prominent syndromes, Angelique Coetzee, the chairwoman of the South African Medical Association, told Sputnik on Saturday.

The World Health Organization (WHO) identified on Friday the new South African strain as one of concern, as it is reported to carry a high number of mutations- 32- which possibly makes it more transmissible and dangerous.

The WHO has dubbed it Omicron, the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet. "It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well. So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home," Coetzee said.

The official noted that hospitals have not been overburdened by Omicron patients and that the new strain is not been detected in vaccinated persons."

Heppenheimer

It is interesting how the WHO and South African medical authorities present the South African variant, not exactly in the same way. "The new Omicron variant of the coronavirus results in mild disease, without prominent syndromes, Angelique Coetzee, the chairwoman of the South African Medical Association, told Sputnik on Saturday.

The World Health Organization (WHO) identified on Friday the new South African strain as one of concern, as it is reported to carry a high number of mutations- 32- which possibly makes it more transmissible and dangerous.

The WHO has dubbed it Omicron, the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet. "It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well. So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home," Coetzee said.

The official noted that hospitals have not been overburdened by Omicron patients and that the new strain is not been detected in vaccinated persons."
The WHO probably wants more information from a variety of sources before making statements more specific than "concerning". The behavior of a variant may not always be the same in every region, when you consider different patient populations, different societal habits, different communal responses, different baseline vaccination status, different testing regimens, different weather, etc.

Kevin_W

The WHO probably wants more information from a variety of sources before making statements more specific than "concerning". The behavior of a variant may not always be the same in every region, when you consider different patient populations, different societal habits, different communal responses, different baseline vaccination status, different testing regimens, different weather, etc.

Yes, I heard an interview with a WHO doc on the radio driving into work this morning and she was pretty straightforward with a bunch of "we don't know yet" statements.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Florida Case numbers for last week haven't been reported yet because of Thanksgiving, (will be release tomorrow evening) But hospitalization numbers still have been.

Today Florida Covid Hospitaliztion is at 1228 (or 2.29% of beds), which is a new all time low since April 2020 (when HHS started its reports). It was at 1351 a week ago (2.36%). so the gradual Covid hospitalization decrease is still going on in Florida.

Let's see what they look like in 2-3 weeks.

James J

In the Parks
No

Boosters for all over 18's, 3 months after their second dose is the new advice for the UK. 4th doses for immunocompromised people was mentioned too.

Chip Chipperson

If the pharmacist says you don't have yo stick around? My instance: pharmacist specifically said if I would have had the same manufacturer I wouldn't have had to wait the 15 minutes. So if someone is told they can leave immediately that is not disregard.

I didn't have to wait around after my booster, either. However, my mother did and she got 3 doses of Moderna just like I did. The only difference is that my 3rd was at a local pharmacy and hers was from the County Health Department vaccination site where we both received our first 2 doses. My wife and I went for our boosters at the same time. The pharmacist knows us and works with my mother-in-law. When he finished with the jabs he told us we were free to leave. We said, "We don't have to wait 15 minutes?" He said, "Nope, you're good. You didn't have a reaction to the first 2 doses."

Bob Harlem

Let's see what they look like in 2-3 weeks.
3 weeks ago it was at 1577 (2.8%) Rate of drop has actually increased this past week. See https://epi.ufl.edu/covid-19-resour...year-projections-for-covid-19-in-florida.html for some projections (which have still remained very accurate), there's nothing indicating the 7 day avg hospitalization is going back up other than speculation (day to day numbers depends on discharge policy). Hospitalization is probably the most reliable form of severity measurement considering reporting delays elsewhere (especially deaths, but cases also).

If you curious about South Africa, https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/ has most of the info for there. (Cases up, low severity)

Last edited:

mmascari

Yes, I heard an interview with a WHO doc on the radio driving into work this morning and she was pretty straightforward with a bunch of "we don't know yet" statements.
But I want answers now! 😭

Then, I want to latch onto those answers in the future forever more as being the one and only answer. 🤔

Off to read up on tips for getting on ROTR from December 2019, I'm sure that information is still correct...

DisneyCane

But I want answers now! 😭

Then, I want to latch onto those answers in the future forever more as being the one and only answer. 🤔

Off to read up on tips for getting on ROTR from December 2019, I'm sure that information is still correct...
"We don't know yet" is exactly what the experts should be saying about this. I want them to give opinions AFTER they have gathered information and at least have very educated guesses. Then they aren't changing their minds all the time. They are waiting to form opinions until they have information and data.

Gringrinngghost

Some notes from Biden's Presser on Omnicron:

Biden is not expecting at this moment further travel restrictions but it will be on the prevalence of transmission. Additional lockdowns are off the table for now. He is also waiting for Recommendations from his Medical teams for domestic proof of vaccinations and or tests for domestic flights.

Q: Thank You, Mister. President. The Uk Europe And A Growing Number Of Countries Have Confirmed Cases On The Finer. You Considering Additional Travel Restrictions On Countries With The Variant Has Been Detected And Just Separately You Urged Americans To Wear Masks In Indoor Public Spaces, But Many States And Cities Including Washington Dc Have Lifted Mask Mandates. Are You Calling On State Local Officials To Reinstate Mask Mandates.

Potus: With Regards To The Last Question. The Answer Is I Can Encourage Everyone To Wear A Mask When You're Indoors In A Crowd Of Circumstance Like We Are Right Now. And Unless You're Eating Or Speaking At A Microphone. Secondly, The Degree Of Spread Impacts On Whether Or Not There Is Need For Any Travel Restriction. But That's Not I Don't Anticipate That At This Point And We'll See.

Q: Mister President Is This The New Normal That Americans Should Expect Anticipating Future A Potential Variants. Expect Intermittent Travel Restrictions And Potential Drops In The Stock Market Going Forward Given Any Words Of Reassurance That This Will Become The New Normal. And Then For Both You And Doctor Fauci. Doctor Fauci Said Cbs That A Lockdown Shutdowns Are Off On The Table For A Restraining Could Be Going Forward. He Said That Will Be Part Of Your Plan On Thursday. But Why Is That? Are You Taking That Off The Table.

Potus: Answer Your First Question The Answer Is I Expect This To Not To Be The New Normal. I Expect The New Normal To Be Everyone Ends Up Getting Vaccinations Booster Shots. So We Reduce The Number Of People Who Were Unprotected To Such A Low Degree That We're Not Seeing The Spread Of These Fires. Now We Remain To Be Seen Exactly What The Elements Of This Particular Strain Are. But It Has. I Hope Then Not Can Be Fundamentally Different. Then In The Past. And In Terms Of What Was At The Table, You Ways That Will Because We're Able To If People Are Vaccinated And Wear Their Mask. There's No Need For Lockdowns.

Q: A Nice Going On From That Question. We've Got The Christmas Seasom Coming Up, Huge Amount Of Travel. Would You Given Any Thought To Doemsitc Flights Requring Tests Or Vaccines Before People Get On Planes? The Same Way They Do For International Flights?

Potus: With This Point. That's Not Recommend It. I Would Make For My The Scientific Community To Give Can Be Recommendation On That.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Some notes from Biden's Presser on Omnicron:

Biden is not expecting at this moment further travel restrictions but it will be on the prevalence of transmission. Additional lockdowns are off the table for now. He is also waiting for Recommendations from his Medical teams for domestic proof of vaccinations and or tests for domestic flights.

Quotes soon.
Whatever he said at least the stock market seemed to like it. Much better than Friday for my portfolio!

mmascari

"We don't know yet" is exactly what the experts should be saying about this. I want them to give opinions AFTER they have gathered information and at least have very educated guesses. Then they aren't changing their minds all the time. They are waiting to form opinions until they have information and data.
Yes (mostly) and no (sort of, with lots of nuance).

In this specific case, Yes I would like them to get some more data first. But, no, I don't want them to wait forever. At some point, they need to give some opinions based on what's known so far. And those will change as what's known so far changes. Cannot wait until we know everything, need to make some educated guesses as we go. But, also shouldn't be making those when we don't even know enough to start.

Today, for Omnicron, I get that we're early enough that there isn't really a "known so far" as even a little seed to base stuff on. Which actually brings up a better question. Why don't know already know how Omnicron is spreading in the US? It's certainly here and spreading already. Anyone who thinks we've managed to keep Omnicron out and that it's not here yet, I've got a bridge you may be interested in, cheap.

Or, perhaps a sure ROTR boarding group strategy. See, first you get to the park at soft open, then you hover your finger over the button at exactly real open, make sure you're already past the tap points and inside the park. Then you remember that plan is 2 years old and you've already missed your chance to ride ROTR because "known so far" has completely changed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom