News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, due to low interest rates provided by the govt the smart business decision would have been to take out loans to keep staff on the books, then you could have returned to normal much quicker. Disney made an absolutely stupid decision and is paying for it now. The airline industry did the same.
When you’re in the same boat with American, Delta and United by choice…you have bad management.

they just did what greed does…take advantage of today with no concern for next week

JoeCamel

Actually, due to low interest rates provided by the govt the smart business decision would have been to take out loans to keep staff on the books, then you could have returned to normal much quicker. Disney made an absolutely stupid decision and is paying for it now. The airline industry did the same.
They had no idea how this would play out and were scared

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
disney is embracing letting customers see scarcity more than ever… something most businesses try to avoid… unless scarcity is part of your sales strategy.
ORRR.... There's a labor shortage and you can't service the same capacity you did in the past. (Altho, keeping MK from becoming a holiday nightmare with packed crowds doesn't depend on labor shortages.)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
First, ftr I never called this a conspiracy. I’ve only called this decision and those leading up to it as not even pretending to care about guests anymore.
Assuming that park available is sold out because Disney is "not even pretending to care about guests anymore" is pretty much a casebook example of a conspiracy theory.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Wait…you know the following things:

1. the actual cap numbers?
2. The actual labor allocation, staff level, management directives?
3. The hard sale numbers?

…my point is you can’t rule anything out if you don’t know those things.

there is no inherent reason to trust management. Especially now…does it appear that there judgement has been sound and communication transparent during covid?

just is what it is. Anyone not at least considering that they be playing a Wall Street driven pricing game is naive. It’s at least possible given the record.

Yes, we know things:
  • A nationwide labor shortage affecting all industries everywhere (with a few exceptions)
  • People who work at WDW and insiders confirming over and over again they are short-staffed.
  • The most popular days (weekend and holidays) in which attendance has been historically higher in the past are the first to be SOLD OUT -- which indicates hitting a lowered capacity limit.

But, don't let evidence and facts get in the way of a nerdrage dump on Disney execs (who indeed are worthy of criticism, but none based on made-up conspiratorial theories).

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
…maybe try not defending them? The sun would rise in the East tomorrow

at a minimum…it really looks like they are completely messing with their most loyal customers during a period of cultural shock.

Very poor taste.
Maybe try not making up new things to be critical of and instead focus on the things which are indeed worthy to be critical of based on facts and evidence?

You know, you yourself rage against people who blindly accept fake news that's built on rage and grievance culture in politics. How you cannot see that you're doing the same thing here is beyond me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, we know things:
  • A nationwide labor shortage affecting all industries everywhere (with a few exceptions)
  • People who work at WDW and insiders confirming over and over again they are short-staffed.
  • The most popular days (weekend and holidays) in which attendance has been historically higher in the past are the first to be SOLD OUT -- which indicates hitting a lowered capacity limit.

But, don't let evidence and facts get in the way of a nerdrage dump on Disney execs (who indeed are worthy of criticism, but none based on made-up conspiratorial theories).
I’m sure they’re short staffed. And I’m sure it causing issues.

but it’s a big leap to make that all these moves are staff driven. They cancelled the APs when they were fully staffed - sans IPs - so it’s hard to make it 1:1…too big of a leap to make

and for the billionth time: the reasons are in the dwarf board room…not here. And Orlando is the last to know. Martin is way more in the loop than any of these clowns.

i’m just saying this management is really bad…not hyperbole…so “possible” covers almost everything if you have loose cannons.

And frankly…you can name call and it doesn’t lower the embarrassment of blind defense. We go there on VACATION…it’s not life. To quote Picard again: have some “personal truth”. You don’t have to swear an oath to King Bob to show up…if they’ll let you in.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe try not making up new things to be critical of and instead focus on the things which are indeed worthy to be critical of based on facts and evidence?

You know, you yourself rage against people who blindly accept fake news that's built on rage and grievance culture in politics. How you cannot see that you're doing the same thing here is beyond me.
I do…just like you know that Disney does NOT have to explain their day to day decisions…or longterm strategic ones…to any of us.

you are wise enough to know Bob isn’t going to jail if he implies things for profit. We aren’t that “regulated”

JoeCamel

I wonder if their big plan (conspiracy if you wish) is to discourage the repeat guests they have worked so hard for all these years in favor of the once in a lifetime onsite and the DVC guest?
If they have one timers they don't know how it was so they don't have to build/spend as much to keep them happy and it is still a good product the first time you see it so those people spend more than APs who clog up the works and don't complain to their neighbors back home how the quality has suffered?
DVC is in their pocket, both sides don't care as long as they get their fix.
They have almost enough rooms to pull it off.
Could be more devious than some are thinking.......

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if their big plan (conspiracy if you wish) is to discourage the repeat guests they have worked so hard for all these years in favor of the once in a lifetime onsite and the DVC guest?
If they have one timers they don't know how it was so they don't have to build/spend as much to keep them happy and it is still a good product the first time you see it so those people spend more than APs who clog up the works and don't complain to their neighbors back home how the quality has suffered?
DVC is in their pocket, both sides don't care as long as they get their fix.
They have almost enough rooms to pull it off.
Could be more devious than some are thinking.......
The problem with that theory is withholding annual passes es off DVC more than just about anything. You want me to buy more points and then mess with my ability to attend without paying real time highest prices each day??

…good luck there

Last edited:

JoeCamel

The problem with that theory is withholding annual passes ****es off DVC more than jsut about anything. You want me to buy more points and then mess with my ability to attend without paying real time highest prices each day??

…good luck there
The DVC get their deal just weekday locals and them for passes everyone else is multi or one day. Makes those numbers zing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The DVC get their deal just weekday locals and them for passes everyone else is multi or one day. Makes those numbers zing.
There are no longer any DVC “deals”…simply access to “lower level”
Passes that aren’t being sold.

and weekday only doesn’t help DVC…it actually aggravates most if you look at who buys and from where.

Bob is misreading that market if he thinks it’s that gullible. Buying a room that regenerates every year is one thing…forcing everyone to “experience boo bash” is another

JoeCamel

There are no longer any DVC “deals”…simply access to “lower level”
Passes that aren’t being sold.

and weekday only doesn’t help DVC…it actually aggravates most if you look at who buys and from where.

Bob is misreading that market if he thinks it’s that gullible. Buying a room that regenerates every year is one thing…forcing everyone to “experience boo bash” is another
Right, under the reinstated program you have to be DVC to access a pass. Keeps the captive audience quiet and paying dues

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
One thing I noticed. Before WDW offered monthly annual passes, there weren't as many local passholders.

Paying full price was a reasonably large expense in a low wage state. But when you offer it with a reasonable down payment, and 0% on monthly payments, it becomes a lot more appealing.

Disney didn't need to suspend annual pass sales, they just needed to get rid of the monthly payment plans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right, under the reinstated program you have to be DVC to access a pass. Keeps the captive audience quiet and paying dues
That’s what they claim is a “deal”…and it would work.

…right up until you don’t sell them to dvc.

DVC are creatures of habit…they tend to “itch” for vacations around the holidays (long winter ahead)…you know a good way to make that desire “backfire”??

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One thing I noticed. Before WDW offered monthly annual passes, there weren't as many local passholders.

Paying full price was a reasonably large expense in a low wage state. But when you offer it with a reasonable down payment, and 0% on monthly payments, it becomes a lot more appealing.

Disney didn't need to suspend annual pass sales, they just needed to get rid of the monthly payment plans.
1000%…they did that to boost attendance when the parks were allegedly “slammed”…and now they’re overrun?

labor is an issue…but this is also an intentional tactic…to what end?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom