Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

In regards to the guest wait and see approach in regards to the tourism industry ( or really a number of industries ) is a nightmare to predict and run efficiently from an operations perspective.
I get some industries are harder than others. I am in one that dropped off nearly entirely for 3 months in 2020. Maybe even more so I'm less inclined to personally worry we'll be sans paychecks for 3 months or have to see a reduction in pay from my spouse too which we did. So truly we will wait and see from scientists if we need to make changes.

I get people worry but we've been told life will be worse for so many variants that a wait and see approach is better. Why shut it all down entirely on a maybe if you are wrong? If it is a concern do you really think it hasn't spread globally yet? That's a short sighted idea IMO.

I think you got your booster? We get ours next week. My parents got two weeks ago. Best we can do! Most experts are saying they believe vaccines will still offer some level of protection and it will be greater with a booster. :) And still, no word on how severe the cases are in South Africa that prompted this warning.

I'm not worried for our health and I'm thankful everyone I know has been vaccinated and either has or is planning on getting booster. What I do worry about is a push for another shutdown in the US. Mentally/emotionally, I know a few people who just won't make it through another one. :( We never stopped masks in stores, public transport, etc. around here, so that will stay the same.
Yes as part of the trial I did. My husband has as well. My child is not eligible and may never be who knows.

I am more worried globally about unvaccinated at this time. Especially since those vaccinated seem to have little to no symptoms from what I read at this time. My views may change with time of course as always..

Diamond Dot

Face coverings will become compulsory in shops and on public transport in the UK from “next week”, a statement from 10 Downing Street said.​
The statement said: “Face coverings will be made compulsory in shops and on public transport from next week.​

“All hospitality settings will be exempt.”​

Why wait till next week? And why exempt hospitality settings? It’s the usual half-baked nonsense.

There are different rules for England, Wales and Scotland. Here in Wales face masks have been compulsory since August 2020, however, there is the ridiculous 'medical exemptions' which has been abused by selfish people who don't want to wear a mask and don't get me wrong, for some people the cloth mask will be difficult to wear, but, do they think the Sunflower lanyard that they wear instead of a mask will protect them from Covid? Not to mention the fools who think Covid either doesn't exist or won't affect them , so they refuse to wear a mask or a lanyard. If it is compulsory, no matter where in the UK, then it must be enforced, especially in supermarkets and if a cloth mask cannot be worn then they should be made to wear a clear plastic face shield.

I don't know about you, but, I'm ready to do anything to end this pandemic and I've done everything asked of me. It's such a shame modern society has become so bolshie and selfish and unwilling to do things for the greater good. I'm just thankful we weren't so selfish during WW2 and pulled together to defeat the threat of that time.

LittleBuford

There are different rules for England, Wales and Scotland. Here in Wales face masks have been compulsory since August 2020, however, there is the ridiculous 'medical exemptions' which has been abused by selfish people who don't want to wear a mask and don't get me wrong, for some people the cloth mask will be difficult to wear, but, do they think the Sunflower lanyard that they wear instead of a mask will protect them from Covid? Not to mention the fools who think Covid either doesn't exist or won't affect them , so they refuse to wear a mask or a lanyard. If it is compulsory, no matter where in the UK, then it must be enforced, especially in supermarkets and if a cloth mask cannot be worn then they should be made to wear a clear plastic face shield.

I don't know about you, but, I'm ready to do anything to end this pandemic and I've done everything asked of me. It's such a shame modern society has become so bolshie and selfish and unwilling to do things for the greater good. I'm just thankful we weren't so selfish during WW2 and pulled together to defeat the threat of that time.
My family are in London, where mask compliance has, I hear, been pretty bad. I'll be returning soon to the UK to see them from the first time in nearly two years. As much as I can't wait to be with my family, I'm dreading everything else about the trip.

Stay safe there in Wales!

Patcheslee

I believe health trumps everything but obviously some don't share that opinion.
Which is why employers should be extending their PTO policy. We were given 4 hours back in June when they were really pushing for vaccination. Nothing else since boosters were approved.
Also company has determined our plant will be under the federal contractor mandate if the legal aspects are unpaused. You'd think they would want to push more incentives and time to get the vaccine.

Bob Harlem

They have all been mild from what I heard. But too soon to know for certain.

Hospital data from south africa shows that too (mild) also is what the south African health minister and medical association is saying.

Additionally
"Omicron presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles & tiredness for a day or two.
So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms”

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

With every booster needed they'll lose more and more participation. Sorry you had a rough time with it.
I’ve been eligible since the beginning of October but finally caved and set up an appt to get my booster Monday.

With each passing day it feels more and more like Covid is here to stay and I’m starting to think at some point we’ll need to rip off the bandaid and let our immune system learn to deal with it.

I’ll get my jab on Monday but I’m already thinking it’ll be my last. Praying this boost ends up being a more permanent solution because I don’t want to go through this agonizing decision every year.

Not anti-science… just tired from the last two years and burnt out.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I’ve been eligible since the beginning of October but finally caved and set up an appt to get my booster Monday.

With each passing day it feels more and more like Covid is here to stay and I’m starting to think at some point we’ll need to rip off the bandaid and let our immune system learn to deal with it.

I’ll get my jab on Monday but I’m already thinking it’ll be my last. Praying this boost ends up being a more permanent solution because I don’t want to go through this agonizing decision every year.

Not anti-science… just tired from the last two years and burnt out.
I get that. People are tired. I'm tired too though not quite ready to rip things off yet. But I don't discount this feeling. It is exhausting.

Hospital data from south africa shows that too (mild) also is what the south African health minister and medical association is saying.

Additionally
"Omicron presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles & tiredness for a day or two.
So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms”
This is very encouraging. And if true, I wouldn't mind seeing this overtake Delta.

nickys

Premium Member

Measures getting updated here - everyone entering the UK now has to do a PCR and self-isolate until the results are known, the booster plan is getting reviewed, and masks in shops and on transport will become mandatory again. Rather hate that all this uncertainty over the new variant has arrived when we're due to fly to SC on December 21st!

Scotland never dropped the masking measures. I don’t think Wales did either.

Lilofan

The Scots may have another issue in regards to drinking in their local pubs. The pubs may be running out of some alcohol in that for example Belhaven and Heineken have limited and or cancelled deliveries in the future. Essential services last year such as liquor stores to remain open in the USA was necessary for some to prevent them from losing their minds at home.

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
My family are in London, where mask compliance has, I hear, been pretty bad. I'll be returning soon to the UK to see them from the first time in nearly two years. As much as I can't wait to be with my family, I'm dreading everything else about the trip.

Stay safe there in Wales!
I was in London again today, and in the rather large Westfield shopping centre my wife and I were in a distinct minority of people wearing masks. It was pretty shocking.

Lilofan

Face coverings will become compulsory in shops and on public transport in the UK from “next week”, a statement from 10 Downing Street said.​
The statement said: “Face coverings will be made compulsory in shops and on public transport from next week.​

“All hospitality settings will be exempt.”​

Why wait till next week? And why exempt hospitality settings? It’s the usual half-baked nonsense.

Maybe to allow time for the sign guys to manufacture the mask signage?

hopemax

I get some industries are harder than others. I am in one that dropped off nearly entirely for 3 months in 2020. Maybe even more so I'm less inclined to personally worry we'll be sans paychecks for 3 months or have to see a reduction in pay from my spouse too which we did. So truly we will wait and see from scientists if we need to make changes.

I get people worry but we've been told life will be worse for so many variants that a wait and see approach is better. Why shut it all down entirely on a maybe if you are wrong? If it is a concern do you really think it hasn't spread globally yet? That's a short sighted idea IMO.
Exponential growth has the same problem it always has. By the time there is confidence that something is a big problem, it's already too late to stop the explosion, because you've already allowed several more doublings to happen unabated. If you have any intention of retarding growth of something that will be a problem, you have to do it right away. Before you have the confidence you are doing the right thing. And yeah, you might be wrong. The alternative is more of the bad things, which we say we don't want, but then we don't act like it because everyone is just over it.

This does seem mild enough that we will "get away with it" again. But we're also still dealing with Delta running around filling hospitals and killing the unvaccinated and immunocompromised. So there are reasons to be more conscientious with holiday gatherings and activities besides Omicron.

So we wait 1-2 months to decide what to do because we won't confidently know severity?

correcaminos

Exponential growth has the same problem it always has. By the time there is confidence that something is a big problem, it's already too late to stop the explosion, because you've already allowed several more doublings to happen unabated. If you have any intention of retarding growth of something that will be a problem, you have to do it right away. Before you have the confidence you are doing the right thing. And yeah, you might be wrong. The alternative is more of the bad things, which we say we don't want, but then we don't act like it because everyone is just over it.

This does seem mild enough that we will "get away with it" again. But we're also still dealing with Delta running around filling hospitals and killing the unvaccinated and immunocompromised. So there are reasons to be more conscientious with holiday gatherings and activities besides Omicron.

So we wait 1-2 months to decide what to do because we won't confidently know severity?

Here's the problem. This mutation isn't all that new. We've passed a point of no return so thanks to anxiety coping methods I've been taught I'm not going to jump to death to us all when this is an unknown. Just like I won't assume this the mutation to bring us to normal. I'll stay in the middle. As always I'll let the scientists do what they do best.

nickys

Premium Member
Any difference in their case curves?
England saw a big spike when they dropped masking.
Then Scotland spiked a couple of weeks after our schools went back mid August despite masks being required for all staff and secondary pupils, but I think we stayed behind the curve. And once English schools went back cases rose there again.
Not sure about now. I know cases in kids are spiralling (I work in a school) but other than that I’m not sure. I gave up watching the stats. I’ve reached the point now that I try not to dwell on it.

EricsBiscuit

65AA9836-B8AF-4375-8121-61704D05105F.jpeg

correcaminos

My second dose was my last dose. I am getting off this merry go round.

It won’t be. There’s no reason to think it will be. The US government has bought enough doses for us each to get 7.
You a doctor? Because many in the medical world don't agree with you. Many also simply don't know. So maybe it will. Maybe it won't. What I do helps decide for you. Even I know to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom