Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

I wouldn't call this study definitive, rather, slowly amassing more evidence that relying on prior infection will likely not be an adequate substitute for full vaccination:

Still encouraging though, 50% a year later is better than I expected.

It would be great if everyone got vaccinated but since I’ve accepted that’s not going to happen any report that shows lasting natural immunity puts a smile on my face. We’re going to need all the help we can get to end this thing.

DisneyCane

Tell me you’re not a scientist without saying it.

Way to double down on a bad take, false equivalence, and misreading the reports.

Clearly, you enjoy having COVID around and are fine with all the harm that causes to everything.
COVID is going to be around for a very long time at some significant level no matter what we do. We need to accept that fact and live with it.

Angel Ariel

Well, I just found out my 22 y/o cousin is in the hospital with Covid, on oxygen. No pre-existing conditions. Unvaccinated.

I am lucky in that this is the closest to home Covid has hit for us so far. But it makes me very sad, both for him and his family. And frustrated knowing how many of them also aren’t vaccinated - including some who told me this doesn’t impact healthy young people - and knowing even this won’t change their minds.

Tom P.

Well, I just found out my 22 y/o cousin is in the hospital with Covid, on oxygen. No pre-existing conditions. Unvaccinated.

I am lucky in that this is the closest to home Covid has hit for us so far. But it makes me very sad, both for him and his family. And frustrated knowing how many of them also aren’t vaccinated - including some who told me this doesn’t impact healthy young people - and knowing even this won’t change their minds.
I am deeply sorry that this is happening to your cousin. I pray that he gets better.

That being said, no one -- not one single person -- says that Covid does not affect any healthy young people. What has been said is that statistically speaking, the risk of severe outcomes to young, healthy people is extremely small. And that is true. The fact that your cousin and others like him have had severe illness from it does not change the statistical reality that most young, healthy people do not.

I am 45 years old. Prior to 2021, the most serious health condition I'd had was having my gallbladder removed. Earlier this year, I had a heart attack. I had to have a blockage cleared and two stents implanted. Thankfully, I am okay now. But it was a very scary experience and legitimately life-threatening. I asked the cardiologist and the nurses, and they agreed that it was extremely rare for them to have a patient like me. The odds of a relatively healthy 45 year old having a heart attack are extremely low. But yet I had one. Does that mean that every 45 year old is at serious risk for a heart attack or that doctors should change their screening recommendations for people that age? No. My case is an outlier. Certainly not impossible, but very unlikely.

Angel Ariel

I am deeply sorry that this is happening to your cousin. I pray that he gets better.

That being said, no one -- not one single person -- says that Covid does not affect any healthy young people. What has been said is that statistically speaking, the risk of severe outcomes to young, healthy people is extremely small. And that is true. The fact that your cousin and others like him have had severe illness from it does not change the statistical reality that most young, healthy people do not.
Thank you 🙏

as to the bolded, Respectfully, I was speaking to what my specific family members have said - not making generalizations, and yes they have said unequivocally that young, healthy people don’t get that level of sick. They were not referring to statistics being extremely small. I’ve had that conversation also, and they are different conversations. I’m more than well aware of the differences. Please don’t feel a need to correct my personal experience.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The part I really hate is that they are requiring the employer to pay for the tests if the employee opts out of getting vaccinated. That is totally WRONG. If an employee doesn't have a medical reason for not getting vaccinated, then the employee should pay for the test. If I were a large employer in Florida requiring vaccinations, I would be suing the state to get that part blocked.

correcaminos

Thank you 🙏

as to the bolded, Respectfully, I was speaking to what my specific family members have said - not making generalizations, and yes they have said unequivocally that young, healthy people don’t get that level of sick. They were not referring to statistics being extremely small. I’ve had that conversation also, and they are different conversations. I’m more than well aware of the differences. Please don’t feel a need to correct my personal experience.
Prayers that they will be okay. I know someone who was more moderate covid hospitalized with just oxygen for a few days (2 days after 1st dose tested positive) and while a little scary, wasn't too bad. Wishing the not so scary and bad for your cousin,

I have my own cousin who refuses for the same arguments. Never mind they are high risk. I wish we'd stop this misinformation and stop finding any excuse not to vaccinate so we can push forward and at least make the vast majority of cases a non-issue.

Heppenheimer

The part I really hate is that they are requiring the employer to pay for the tests if the employee opts out of getting vaccinated. That is totally WRONG. If an employee doesn't have a medical reason for not getting vaccinated, then the employee should pay for the test. If I were a large employer in Florida requiring vaccinations, I would be suing the state to get that part blocked.
If I were a large employer, I would sue to get the entire misguided law thrown out.

mmascari

COVID is going to be around for a very long time at some significant level no matter what we do. We need to accept that fact and live with it.
Thank you team COVID.

A few hundred thousand extra deaths a year, no biggie. A few million extra complications a year.

How many hundreds of thousands will lose the sense of smell every year because we couldn't be bothered as a society?

All those numbers may be small relative to the total population, but the impact is severe enough to not even want a small percentage.

COVID is around now, a few hundred thousand tried to live with it this year and it didn't work so well for them.

GimpYancIent

Thank you team COVID.

A few hundred thousand extra deaths a year, no biggie. A few million extra complications a year.

How many hundreds of thousands will lose the sense of smell every year because we couldn't be bothered as a society?

All those numbers may be small relative to the total population, but the impact is severe enough to not even want a small percentage.

COVID is around now, a few hundred thousand tried to live with it this year and it didn't work so well for them.
It's not about numbers. Vaccines will not = COVID19 going away. It's here and vaccines are effectives tools to reduce its impact. The numbers will continue to fluctuate regardless. It is a hard fact people die from infectious disease, of which COVID19 is just one, it would be truly fantastic if there were vaccines that would truly prevent that fact from happening, but that is wishful thinking.

Heppenheimer

Sounds more like "We the People" have freedom to make choices and not be dictated to by low brow executives.
So, don't complain if your employee-sponsored health premiums go way up to cover the costs of COVID hospitalization.... which tend to be prolonged and VERY expensive. All in the name of some nebulous concept of "freedom" totally removed from the responsibilities that underlie said freedoms...

Yes, I'm mad today because two of my relatively young, unvaccinated patients passed away yesterday from COVID. One left behind two school-aged children. I all but begged both of them to get their vaccines at their last appointments, but they unfortunately bought into all the garbage rhetoric that has surrounded this disease. Rather than take a simple and free vaccination that could have presented this, they are both now dead.

lazyboy97o

It's not about numbers. Vaccines will not = COVID19 going away. It's here and vaccines are effectives tools to reduce its impact. The numbers will continue to fluctuate regardless. It is a hard fact people die from infectious disease, of which COVID19 is just one, it would be truly fantastic if there were vaccines that would truly prevent that fact from happening, but that is wishful thinking.
Vaccines do prevent people from dying from infectious diseases. There’s an entire list of diseases that no longer infect Americans because of vaccines.

disneygeek90

Thank you team COVID.

My unvaccinated 30 something coworker had covid in August. She still says her sense of taste and smell is distorted.

Potentially even worse, she's losing a ton of hair every day. Apparently that's another wonderful side effect.

mmascari

The vaccine works on an individual level and a population level. The explanation above is about the individual vaccine interactions. This ignores the population level vaccine impact. Arguably, the population level vaccine impact is the more important one. One that's only reached once we've crossed some tipping point. One that many here assume we'll never reach. Which is kind of a self for filling prophecy.

Way to give up without even trying.

Team COVID all they way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom