News Walter E. Disney overhaul

TrainsOfDisney

The main issue, I would assume, are the crossings at Adventureland and Frontierland. I'm about 100% sure that the gates can only be triggered coming from Main Street. I don't believe there are sensors that would drop the gates with a train coming from Frontierland Station. However, the gates can still be dropped manually via the control box, but someone would have to be manning the crossing.
Of course, it would be a one time move for an event.
I could care less about safety it would just look stupid IMO.
If they wanted to “arrive” just for show they could shove past the station and pull in. I was thinking they just wanted to stage the train at the station for the day.

EeyoreFan#24

The main issue, I would assume, are the crossings at Adventureland and Frontierland. I'm about 100% sure that the gates can only be triggered coming from Main Street. I don't believe there are sensors that would drop the gates with a train coming from Frontierland Station. However, the gates can still be dropped manually via the control box, but someone would have to be manning the crossing.

Forgive my train crossing ignorance, as I not familiar how they work. How does the crossing know when the train is clear? I know with access control gates we have loops on both sides for clearance, before the gate comes back down.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Forgive my train crossing ignorance, as I not familiar how they work. How does the crossing know when the train is clear? I know with access control gates we have loops on both sides for clearance, before the gate comes back down.
The gates will go back up once the train has cleared the island circuit.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Thanks, i couldn't figure it out with my googling. All the relays and systems were a little confusing on what was needed and when.
No problem. And yes, it is very confusing. I’m not a aficionado by any means when it comes to all the ins and outs of how they work. I just know the bare minimum lol. But knowing Disney, they could have the system rigged completely different. If you sit towards the very back of the last car, you can see that the gates start going up before the car even clears the crossing.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
From today

99F506A4-673E-462E-AF89-C4D37B1A9CAE.jpeg

First time seeing Walter since his return from Strasburg last August. Truly a sight for sore eyes. 😍

Disneyrailfan1996

I once asked a CM about running backwards, but they never said anything re:crossings. What they said, though, was that while it isdoable, it caused wear and tear on the couplers back in the 90s and it wouldn’t be ideal. I’m not entirely sure where she was getting this from as I’ve done plenty of model railroading in different scales and even have the opportunity to play with 7.5” gauge trains every Saturday when I’m in chicago, and have done some shoves, but never worn out a coupler. Not that it’s not possible, but it’s certainly not common. Unless of course the couplers that the Walt Disney World Railroad use are different (they certainly look smaller) and more fragile (the second part which is HIGHLY unlikely)

SteveAZee

I once asked a CM about running backwards, but they never said anything re:crossings. What they said, though, was that while it isdoable, it caused wear and tear on the couplers back in the 90s and it wouldn’t be ideal. I’m not entirely sure where she was getting this from as I’ve done plenty of model railroading in different scales and even have the opportunity to play with 7.5” gauge trains every Saturday when I’m in chicago, and have done some shoves, but never worn out a coupler. Not that it’s not possible, but it’s certainly not common. Unless of course the couplers that the Walt Disney World Railroad use are different (they certainly look smaller) and more fragile (the second part which is HIGHLY unlikely)
It's an interesting hypothesis, though. I would think couplers are more designed to handle 'pull' rather than 'push' as far as wear and tear goes, so it makes sense from the engineering/mechanical perspective, especially when you're pushing and pulling all day.

hosekiller

It's an interesting hypothesis, though. I would think couplers are more designed to handle 'pull' rather than 'push' as far as wear and tear goes, so it makes sense from the engineering/mechanical perspective, especially when you're pushing and pulling all day.
So use a coupler that can handle a “push” better? I’d think couplers on “normal” trains are designed for such use, but maybe “normal” railroads just accept the extra wear?

I’m a very part time train enthusiast, so bear with me haha

DisAl

It could also have something to do with the braking. The WDWRR locomotives do not have brakes; all the brakes are on the passenger cars which supposedly makes for a smoother stop for the passengers. In reverse the locomotive would be pushing into the cars rather than pulling against them.

Andrew M

From an engineering standpoint that doesn't make sense, as long as the couplers are attached the way they should be, the force is traveling the same way through the couplers, just the opposite direction. The only thing I can think of is if there's too much 'swing' laterally that could cause an issue on curves under compression, but I don't think the curves or sharp enough or the train is heavy enough for that to come into play.

I think it comes down to A. Insurance Companies not liking it, and B. Disney looking to save some money on fuel and CMs while they can. I am a little surprised they didn't atleast bring the Walter and a couple coaches out to run by Main Street Station for the 50th.

asianway

So what shape is Roy in? I’ve been following the other three in their various threads the last ten years and don’t think it came up? Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom