Destination D23 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Nintendo / Universal stuff is in this thread below. It is most likely spitball ideas and some, all, or none of it may come to pass.

SoFloMagic

I don’t think it was a travesty. It was largely what was expected and the parks will objectively be a more complete experience next year with all of the entertainment additions—exactly the things the parks have needed since reopening. I’m generally pleased with the announcements. I wasn’t expecting any new rides.
I just wish there were dates, months, or even seasons for all the 2022 stuff. I get that some of the entertainment offerings especially rely upon hiring and they don't want to paint themselves into a corner with guests booking to see something, but man... I feel like we have 10-12 items just labeled "2022" and I feel like they could have done a bit better than that.

That said - thrilled to have entertainment back and very excited to see them actually add to it with the additional cavalcade.

ToTBellHop

I just wish there were dates, months, or even seasons for all the 2022 stuff. I get that some of the entertainment offerings especially rely upon hiring and they don't want to paint themselves into a corner with guests booking to see something, but man... I feel like we have 10-12 items just labeled "2022" and I feel like they could have done a bit better than that.

That said - thrilled to have entertainment back and very excited to see them actually add to it with the additional cavalcade.
New castle show, cavalcade, FoF by March
Fantasmic! by Memorial Day

Not sure about Guardians. Memorial Day is educated guess. Same for Nemo.

Patcheslee

Yes, with limited months we can travel, just having the year doesn't really narrow down if 2022 would be a year we would want to visit or delay another year. Would it be great to visit during 50th Anniversary celebrations? Sure, but not at the expense of saying "if we had just waited another year we could have had XYZ to do and see".

I wasn't expecting much from today so I'm not too surprised. What does surprise me is how much they are scraping the barrel for things to celebrate - hot chocolate and churros? I have a horrible suspicion that Tron and Play! are being positioned as their main response to Epic Universe opening from 2023 which is concerning. The lack of any significant mention of Genie+ was also telling. The way they're acting does make me think (and I know others have hinted at this) are there internal projections which they are concerned about? Is 2022 at the parks actually projected to be weaker than expected despite international travel reopening? Are there projections regarding churn at Disney+ which are starting to concern them?

SoFloMagic

New castle show, cavalcade, FoF by March
Fantasmic! by Memorial Day

Not sure about Guardians. Memorial Day is educated guess. Same for Nemo.
Awesome. Really good day for entertainment.

Edit. Not sarcasm. Really good to see old faves return and some new stuff. I wanted paint the night, but I guess I'll wait for magic happens to come over for the 60th.

Last edited:

wutisgood

As a guest I do not care one bit about any other Disney properties losing money as an excuse to cheap out on the parks. Disney has had years of underinvestment and now they get to cry poor because of the pandemic?

Disney reminds me of a crappy employer that tells me I gotta work extra for because they couldn't find anyone else to help. Like not my problem buddy. At least they could have announced something cool and quietly canceled it 6 months later. Disney makes so much money on the parks they should have multiple major rides every single year.

Also there is no response to epic universe. Disney no longer cares about competition. the shareholders will just bounce if the money printer goes dry because the fans get angry and stop going. The Comcast execs should be sending gift baskets to Chapek for the free money.

donsullivan

Premium Member
As a guest I do not care one bit about any other Disney properties losing money as an excuse to cheap out on the parks. Disney has had years of underinvestment and now they get to cry poor because of the pandemic?

Disney reminds me of a crappy employer that tells me I gotta work extra for because they couldn't find anyone else to help. Like not my problem buddy. At least they could have announced something cool and quietly canceled it 6 months later. Disney makes so much money on the parks they should have multiple major rides every single year.

Also there is no response to epic universe. Disney no longer cares about competition. the shareholders will just bounce if the money printer goes dry because the fans get angry and stop going. The Comcast execs should be sending gift baskets to Chapek for the free money.
You do understand that in the real world, Disney had to borrow over $11 Billion dollars just to make it through the pandemic. That all has to be paid back at some point, which means they have a little less cash to throw around every month. Living in a bubble where the real world didn't actually happen gives people a wildly distorted view of reality.

Jrb1979

I wasn't expecting much from today so I'm not too surprised. What does surprise me is how much they are scraping the barrel for things to celebrate - hot chocolate and churros? I have a horrible suspicion that Tron and Play! are being positioned as their main response to Epic Universe opening from 2023 which is concerning. The lack of any significant mention of Genie+ was also telling. The way they're acting does make me think (and I know others have hinted at this) are there internal projections which they are concerned about? Is 2022 at the parks actually projected to be weaker than expected despite international travel reopening? Are there projections regarding churn at Disney+ which are starting to concern them?
I can take see that. I forget who posted it but some one here posted that reservations were down 30% on what they expected for the 50th.

raven

You do understand that in the real world, Disney had to borrow over $11 Billion dollars just to make it through the pandemic. That all has to be paid back at some point, which means they have a little less cash to throw around every month. Living in a bubble where the real world didn't actually happen gives people a wildly distorted view of reality.
I highlighted the reality for you. Let’s put that on the table right after the Imagination Pavilion rehab, eh?

wutisgood

I get it. It's still not my problem tho. Disney is a lazy company that treats raising prices and cutting services as the solution to everything and has out of control budgets on certain products they cannot reign in. Everything with Disney is always another excuse on why we have to suffer for their poor decisions.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

The arrogance of this statement is breathtaking - telling people, every single one of whom has just lived through two years of an awful, unprecedented global tragedy, that they “live in a bubble where the real world didn’t actually happen” because they question the behavior of one of the worlds largest entertainment congloms.

WDW has spent wildly - and controversially - on massive acquisitions and stock buybacks, behavior that left them much more vulnerable to an unforeseen disaster. And fans have watched Disney habitually underinvest in the parks while raising prices even when times were flush - pleading poverty rings very hollow when the company is just behaving the way they always do. What’s more, folks can compare Disney’s behavior to that of other major conglomerates and see the extent to which Disney is exploiting the pandemic.

Some folks really seem to struggle with the idea that anyone but individual guests should suffer because of the crisis. OF COURSE Disney will charge exponentially more and offer a great deal less - who do you expect to bear the brunt of a crisis dramatically exacerbated by corporate policies - executives? Stockholders? Guests get all the responsibility and none of the power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom