News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

It looks like the artist has made a bunch of art with the Brer Characters/ Splash Mountain themed. I also cannot imagine that those who do formal art for Disney like that have very much control over their own work in that regard.
If he’s essentially being commissioned by Disney to produce things according to their specifications, then it’s really their call to make.

Dear Prudence

If he’s essentially being commissioned by Disney to produce things according to their specifications, then it’s really their call to make.
From my understanding, they basically own everything that you make (which, on the one hand, makes sense, since it's their IPs, but also sort of vindicates the overlord jokes. I just don't understand editing a painting that has prints that already exist out in the wild, and just paying him out for the original and commissioning him to do an entirely new one..but, you know, that actually makes sense....

Kirby86

From my understanding, they basically own everything that you make (which, on the one hand, makes sense, since it's their IPs, but also sort of vindicates the overlord jokes. I just don't understand editing a painting that has prints that already exist out in the wild, and just paying him out for the original and commissioning him to do an entirely new one..but, you know, that actually makes sense....
Yeah they don't want Brer Rabbit and company on an obscure piece of artwork that you not only have to know about but be willing to pay 300 dollars for to get but Brer Bear is on the anniversary Magic Bands. Nothing about how they're handling this makes sense.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

For all we know, it was the artist's own decision. I follow the channel of a Disney YouTuber (a fan with no official ties to the company) who used to use "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" as her theme music. After Disney announced their plans for Splash Mountain, she changed her music and explained that she was doing so because she was now more aware of the problematic nature of Song of the South. Whatever one thinks of her choice, it was hers and hers alone, with no pressure whatsoever from Disney itself.

Dear Prudence

For all we know, it was the artist's own decision. I follow the channel of a Disney YouTuber (a fan with no official ties to the company) who used to use "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" as her theme music. After Disney announced their plans for Splash Mountain, she changed her music and explained that she was doing so because she was now more aware of the problematic nature of Song of the South. Whatever one thinks of her choice, it was hers and hers alone, with no pressure whatsoever from Disney itself.
What did she change it to? 😮

Roger_the_pianist

The new Splash Mountain doesn't even have to be a mountain. Isn't it Chickapin Hill currently? That's probably a dialect form of Chinquapin and to many the dialects of Song of the South are a big part of the problem.

People with the argument ~ThErEs nO mOuNtAinS iN NoLa~ are just tiring...

GoneForGood

Chick-a-pin is very close to "Chinkapin" which is a type of oak. Which IS also referred to as "chinquapin" Chinkapin is also directly referenced in one of the Tar baby retellings, where Brer rabbit sits on it (After being tossed in the Briar Patch) combing tar from his fur. I've also been told that Chinkapin is also a Native word. Perhaps it could be something that goes back to the Indigenous tellings?

Though, why Disney changed it to "Chick" is unknown--but I highly doubt it has to do with dialect.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

Chick-a-pin is very close to "Chinkapin" which is a type of oak. Which IS also referred to as "chinquapin" Chinkapin is also directly referenced in one of the Tar baby retellings, where Brer rabbit sits on it (After being tossed in the Briar Patch) combing tar from his fur. I've also been told that Chinkapin is also a Native word. Perhaps it could be something that goes back to the Indigenous tellings?

Though, why Disney changed it to "Chick" is unknown--but I highly doubt it has to do with dialect.
Chinquapin is a Powhatan word, which is in the Algonquin language group, and Rabbit for the Algonquin peoples is both a trickster and God. The Powhatan believe that Rabbit created the world by sprinkling deer hairs that became Humans. Whilst Tony Baxter has always said that his attractions were not "that deep" and "it's just a story," and was annoyed when people tried to discern deeper meanings out of things (in reference to Phantom Manor)(which is another reason why prescribing deeper, insidious meaning to the Splash narrative is as silly as it is exhausting), the Laughing Place show scenes in all 3 incarnations parallel the journey of Jiibayaabooz/Mateguas (a version of Brer Rabbit) through the underworld and Nanabozho and the Great Flood. Though interesting, and more than likely just a coincidence, it also proves that you can get whatever you want out of these narratives if you want it hard enough, but you wanting it doesn't make it true.

GoneForGood

Chinquapin is a Powhatan word, which is in the Algonquin language group, and Rabbit for the Algonquin peoples is both a trickster and God. The Powhatan believe that Rabbit created the world by sprinkling deer hairs that became Humans. Whilst Tony Baxter has always said that his attractions were not "that deep" and "it's just a story," and was annoyed when people tried to discern deeper meanings out of things (in reference to Phantom Manor)(which is another reason why prescribing deeper, insidious meaning to the Splash narrative is as silly as it is exhausting), the Laughing Place show scenes in all 3 incarnations parallel the journey of Jiibayaabooz/Mateguas (a version of Brer Rabbit) through the underworld and Nanabozho and the Great Flood. Though interesting, and more than likely just a coincidence, it also proves that you can get whatever you want out of these narratives if you want it hard enough, but you wanting it doesn't make it true.
Oh! I've never thought of it that way, that's incredibly insightful and interesting!
Thank you for sharing that!

Dear Prudence

I have also seen it; it's not the massively evil thing some people seem to think it is, but it is racist.
This is true, and I've always been concerned about who gets to quantify this, because while the film has serious issues, there is a penchant to straight-up invent problems the way that they do with Splash. There are enough issues with SOTS without needing to invent any. Splash's connection to SOTS should be enough without straight-up inventing things. All this does is harm the people whom this actually affects, because they watch the POV ride through videos or watch SOTS online and it's not the monster that they were promised, it makes it look like crying wolf. It's so hard to be heard, about legitimate issues, concerns and criticisms, and when people say things that are patently false, for their own gain essentially, it hurts the people whom this actually affects.

Edit: and the reason why I bring up who actually gets to quantify of the SOTS or Splash degrees of problematic is because of the Twilight Renaissance, in which grown women, many of whom virtue signaling about Splash, may I add, have just...decided Twilight ISN'T racist because they...say so....and also claiming and all criticism of Twilight isn't legitimate because it's rooted in sexism (because I guess Native women and girls don't exist?) So, what happens a few years down the road when Splash is no longer The clout chasing du jour and they just decide to completely change the narrative devoid of reality because it suits them...does that make sense? Will BIPOC be given the space to be heard?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom