Worst weather event you've ever experienced

Goofyernmost

I posted yesterday, and so did others. WHERE did my post go, and the others? Was there a glitch, or???
Probably a huge gust of wind blew them off the screen! Or not! 🤔

My worse weather event was on Valentines Day in 2007 if I remember correctly. At the time I was a field supervisor for city bus company in Vermont. The bus company had been in business for around 60 years and had never had to shut down. Just before dawn on that day, a huge nor'easter came rolling in. It was blizzard like condition all day long. We had busses slipping off the road, unable to climb hills and just sliding into snow banks all over the city. I was driving from spot to spot in a three year old Chevy Impala going from disaster to disaster. The plows couldn't get out because the drivers couldn't get to work so every minute it just got worse and worse. We had commuter buses that brought people in and out of the city everyday that couldn't get people back home because the roads were all closed. We had to find overnight accommodations for them and get them to those places. At one point during the day, I turned onto a street that looked passable only to ride up on a snow drift that I couldn't see because of the total white out that was going on. Thankfully there were a couple of guys with shovels trying to get to their cars and helped me get off the drift and back on to solid ground. Finally at around 6:30pm the decision was made to shut down operations so we could get out and free up the buses to get them back to the barn. None of us could leave so I shoveled out my car and found a spot in the bus garage to pull in and I slept in the back seat of it for a few hours. When morning came the storm had passed but we still couldn't move anybody until later in the afternoon when that state trucks had finally gotten out and at least plowed a path on the highway. For the next week and more the snow had covered hundreds of cars on the city streets and all they could clear was one lane on each street. We had to start down a street and if we met another car they had to back out of our way so we could get through. Fortunately, there were not many people out on the streets for a few days.

Last edited:

macefamily

Dec. 2006 in Mountain Top, PA. I worked at a manufacturer in a small industrial park. It was unusually warm that day. It had to be in the 80's. My family was actually preparing to leave in a few days for Disney. Later in the afternoon there was a cold front coming through. When that cold front and warm weather combined...boom ! I was leaving work when I noticed the evening sky. It was odd. It was actually greenish in color which I never saw before. I drove about two miles up the road when I had to pull over. I couldn't see a thing because the rain was coming down so heavily. I waited it out for about 10 minutes then I continued to the interstate on my way home. I knew something was up when a trampoline from a home about 200 yards away was on the side of the highway. I got home and called my work colleague and he told me that two minutes after I left a tractor trailer was blown over just outside the building. After the reports came in, the NWS declared that an F2 twister came through the area. Roofs were ripped off homes, the local supermarket's windows all shattered, and tree tops were snapped off like toothpicks. The old wives tale is that tornadoes can't hit PA because of the mountains. Not true.

MattFrees71

April 2nd, 2006. Tornado warned severe thunderstorm in SW Illinois (near Fairview Heights). Sky was so dark, incredible winds, and we were in a house with no basement. Probably the time I feared for my life the most with a weather event. F2 tornado touched down a couple towns away.

J4546

I remember 10+ years agon living it portland we got a winter storm that left everything covered in ice for a week. Even with the roads being plowed they were just covered in ice inches thick for days. It was great though imo, cause I walked to work anyways and loved how everything looked so white and baren. It was really cool.

I grew up in Va and it snowed a lot there too, I miss it (live in LA now)

Eric Graham

My worst weather experience was during a winter in the 1980s. I had tickets for David Copperfield (the magician, illusionist) and I literally traveled through 12 or 14 inches of snow in my car during a blizzard to see him. He hadn't called off the concert. I guess the show must go on. I almost side swiped a car on the way down there. It was really incredible! Somehow I made it back home. There were a few blizzards during that decade where we lost power for a whole week. I've seen him 4 different times, and he never puts on a bad show. Very incredible experience! I last saw him a few years back in Vegas at the MGM Grand. I was inches from him during a VIP show beforehand. I also am a big fan of Penn and Teller, but haven't seen them in Vegas yet. Hopefully someday.

HouCuseChickie

I also am a big fan of Penn and Teller, but haven't seen them in Vegas yet. Hopefully someday.

We saw them in Vegas back in 2007. They put on a great show, and they supposedly change it up each time so that repeat guests can be treated to different acts. I don't know if they still do this, but they came out into the lobby to do a meet and greet with the guests after the show.

celluloid

That week no one should up, because it was hot-Bob Iger.

@HouCuseChickie Yes, P&T still do that every chance they can as they feel obligated to the fans, and one of the reasons they are still very popular. @Eric Graham Same. I need to get to the RIO before they retire.

I want to share a great story. I spent time in the HHN world. Penn and Teller had a House at the event in 2012. They were in the finale of the house on video screens every night as well as queue video and voice overs. But there was a situation where they actually showed up to be the scareactors in the final room. They wanted to.

Eric Graham

We saw them in Vegas back in 2007. They put on a great show, and they supposedly change it up each time so that repeat guests can be treated to different acts. I don't know if they still do this, but they came out into the lobby to do a meet and greet with the guests after the show.
He also served as a technical advisor for the movie The Prestige. I think that movie is great, but my wife hates that movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom