Shadow laid off at Hilton Head Resort

MagicHappens1971

I wouldn’t think his employment should have touched TWDC’s bottom line so I wonder if there’s more to the story.
I'd have to agree, I'm not defending Disney but without knowing the whole story, which respectfully to everyone involved, I can't even think this was on anyones radar except for internal management at Hilton Head. I really don't think Josh or Bob or anyone in Burbank are wondering how much the dog and entertainer are costing them.

Club Cooloholic

I'd have to agree, I'm not defending Disney but without knowing the whole story, which respectfully to everyone involved, I can't even think this was on anyones radar except for internal management at Hilton Head. I really don't think Josh or Bob or anyone in Burbank are wondering how much the dog and entertainer are costing them.
Because...yes internal management at Hilton Head would want less entertainment?

mm52200

Not everything goes to Bob and Josh, most of it doesn’t. But there are other executives in Florida looking at numbers and spreadsheets and ways to save money. And it’s those that most likely made the call.

Lilofan

Not everything goes to Bob and Josh, most of it doesn’t. But there are other executives in Florida looking at numbers and spreadsheets and ways to save money. And it’s those that most likely made the call.
Of course that is the way it is done. Easier to blame execs on specific cuts but when execs tell their direct reports to cut the budget , the ones running the operations make it happen.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Exactly. Obviously Bob himself didn't say, "axe the dog!" but there has been a company wide directive to cut costs, and I am sure some enterprising middle manager saw this as an opportunity to do so, since Shadow doesn't generate any revenue, nor is she part of an IP.

Lilofan

Exactly. Obviously Bob himself didn't say, "axe the dog!" but there has been a company wide directive to cut costs, and I am sure some enterprising middle manager saw this as an opportunity to do so, since Shadow doesn't generate any revenue, nor is she part of an IP.
I read the Shadow was still covered under the company health insurance while the dog was furloughed all this time so that helps with the vet expenses.

rreading

But wouldn't the costs be to the DVC owners rather than TWDC?

Maybe they are directed to keep Annual Dues down though

howeru

Any serious student of organizational leadership and behavior will tell you this is most likely a symptom of senior management lacking confidence and competence, thus setting a climate of fear in lower management. There is no other common explanation for the rash of stupid business decisions. It is a senior management failure. Perhaps they were adequate in good times, true excellence is required now, not fakery.

Bzzelady

I learned today that Shadow the golden retriever, who has been an important part of the story and unofficial mascot of Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort, has been let go.

It appears the company is continuing its self destructive crash course to mediocrity at a feverish pace.

more details:

Everyone’s help is needed to keep this active. Disney is crossing their fingers that the uproar will blow over and DVC members will lose interest.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't think Shadow was cut per se. I think B'lou was cut, and they were sort of a package deal. Could be wrong.

Last edited:

sanctumsolitude

Unpopular opinion, but I was really not impressed by B-Lou during my trips to HH. He seemed very annoyed by my kids and seemed like he didn’t want to be around children. On the other hand, shadow is an icon of the resort so I hope that this is just B-Lou being dismissed and another “shadow” will still be at the resort.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It wasn’t. Hilton Head’s one entertainer, B’Lou Crabbe, a staple of the resort for the last 20 years doing all kinds of shows, activities, and Shadow’s official handler/owner, has been on furlough essentially since the resort reopened in June 2020 with the continued communication and expectation that he and Shadow would return eventually. They were finally called a week or two ago and told that they would not be returning and posted the news himself to his fan page and personal page. So yes the performer and the dog itself were let go.

Maybe research next time before proclaiming that people jumped to conclusions and don’t know the full story.
Disney makes changes to their entertainment offerings all the time. Was it a "cut" when the British Revolution replaced the British Invasion at Epcot? The anomaly is not a performer losing his contract after 20 years, the anomaly is a performer having a contract for 20 years in the first place.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Unpopular opinion, but I was really not impressed by B-Lou during my trips to HH. He seemed very annoyed by my kids and seemed like he didn’t want to be around children. On the other hand, shadow is an icon of the resort so I hope that this is just B-Lou being dismissed and another “shadow” will still be at the resort.
I learned today that Shadow the golden retriever, who has been an important part of the story and unofficial mascot of Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort, has been let go.

It appears the company is continuing its self destructive crash course to mediocrity at a feverish pace.

more details:
Man, Disney really is projecting the image of a healthy, strong company, the kind of place any investor would be happy to put their money. Nothing says "confident, comfortable CEO" like removing holiday decorations, taking food off peoples plates, and firing a golden retriever.
Disney isn't saving any money here. DHHIR is a sold out, 100% DVC property. The "savings," such as they are, are borne by the owners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom