Trip Report Early days....long days...crowds and rain...

Just a quick report (having returned home late last night), we managed the crowds and wet/cloudy weather during Nov 10-14 trip, and yes parks were busy-mid day waits on major attractions typically 60-min++, most popular 90-120+ min, but getting to parks before opening and taking advantage of 1/2 early hour was key to ability to do and see all that we wanted, including our traditional favorites but also newest attractions of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (WOW!!) and Avatar Flight of Passage (WOW!!!!). Used Disney Magic Express from airport and buses/Skyline to get around.

We are experienced WDW visitors (13 lifetime, including 5 since 2010 with last previous trip in 2016), this trip was 5 nights at AoA, and no use of Genie app or Lightning Lane-researched but never purchased. Did 1 1/2 day at MK (including Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party), followed by one day each at EPCOT, DHS, and AK (and a few hours Saturday evening at Disney Springs). We are "open to close" park visitors, take advantage of 1/2 early morning entry (which served us very well this trip). Booked sit down dinner only in each park, we eat snacks at resort room for breakfast and treats/snacks mid day while in park to save money and time -both of which are issues while in parks, very expensive and you lose valuable time in parks. Our family group are all adults, so no interest in character meet and greet (which are still largely not available), did some park shopping but we are not big time WDW purchasers.

Will post longer trip report later if folks are interested, but if anyone had questions that I could help with please free free to post.

plawren2

Original Poster
Day one Weds Nov 10- travel/MK... my son (age 26) and I arrived in Orlando airport around 1040am (early arrival-remarkable), down to baggage claim, check in at Magic Express, about one hour wait for bus to AoA, followed by 40 min drive to resort, got notification room was ready while on bus, so at AoA went to family suite room, used MagicBands to open room, quick unpack and off to MK via bus (no wait and only a few on bus, around 200p), park was pretty busy, walked main street into a few stores, rode Buzz Lightyear (no wait), and Space Mt (40 min wait), rain heavy at times all afternoon into early evening, 400p reservation at Crystal Palace, then rode Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder (30min or less wait for each), looked through some more shops, got prime viewing area in front of castle for 800p fireworks, left soon after (park closed at 9am), short wait for bus back to AoA
2021-11-10 14.28.01.jpg
2021-11-10 14.29.06.jpg
2021-11-10 14.32.13.jpg

plawren2

Original Poster
Day two Thurs Nov 11- MK (830a-8p)/Disney Very Merriest After Hours Party (9p-12p), arrived at gate for early morning magic, headed straight to Peter Pan-was still 40 minute wait!!, rode Jingle Cruise, went to TikiTikiTiki room, had Dole Whip for snack, walked around to take pictures, looked into shops, rode Haunted Mansion, walked main street, had a snack, got message wife and daughter (age 20) were on Magic Express from airport as they took same flight but day later than us, went back to AoA to meet them arriving, helped unpack, have a snack and back on bus to MK, shopping and family pics on main street (MK was busier), watched pop up parade, had 400p reservation at Liberty Tavern but had wait of 1/2 hr before seated, rode Big Thunder and Splash Mt (40 min wait for each), ladies hit some more shops, got into another prime spot for 8am parade, waited in line in park for about 1/2 hr to get party wristbands, rode Buzz Lightyear, Carousal of Progess, (by this time its raining again, heavy at times), Space Mt, Its a Small World (kids refused to sit trough that one), Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Splash Mt, watched late party fireworks with view of castle from bridge in Liberty Square, walked around, took pictures hit a few more shops, headed back to AoA via bus around midnight as had early morning plans next day.
2021-11-11 08.54.33.jpg
2021-11-11 10.07.05.jpg
2021-11-11 11.23.57.jpg
2021-11-11 11.59.09.jpg
2021-11-11 13.30.41-1.jpg
2021-11-11 08.54.33.jpg
2021-11-11 10.07.05.jpg
2021-11-11 11.23.57.jpg
2021-11-11 11.59.09.jpg
2021-11-11 13.30.41-1.jpg

plawren2

Original Poster
Day 3 Fri Nov 12 EPCOT - took advantage of early entry, took Skyliner from AoA to EPCOT, park was already pretty busy at 10am with food and wine festival in full swing, rode Test Track (40 min) wait followed by Soarin (50 min) wait, spent rest of morning and afternoon walking around World Showcase, buying snacks and drinks, crowd watching (there were lots of people), shops, some pop-up entertainment, had 415p reservation at Rose and Crown -fantastic fish and chips, walked back to Canada, UK and France pavillions for shopping, decided to head back to AoA as 2nd long and early wake up day in roll was taking toll and we had plans for even earlier day next.
2021-11-12 13.41.07.jpg
2021-11-12 14.09.10.jpg
2021-11-12 14.21.26.jpg
2021-11-12 15.15.39-3.jpg

plawren2

Original Poster
Day 4 Sat Nov 13-Disney Studies, up and on Skyliner to park at 740a for 800a early entry, straight into park, and joined crowd heading to Rise of the Resistance, were in queue before 8am, actually advanced all through the line up to last step before loading into spacecraft..when..........ride shutdown.... OMG........panic ensues.... about 40+ guests were marshalled out.......... and........ given free lighting lane passes to come back ride anytime that day,....... CROWD CHEERING...... went and rode Smugglers Run (about 50 min wait).. walked around and took pics, hit few shops in Galaxys Edge, kids went on their own way in search of cold coffee (UGGG), wife and I went to ride ToT (50 min wait) and grabbed pretzel and drink to share as snack, meet up with kids for and YES...... RoR had restarted so we jump on that puppy (WOW, can I say WOW...), then Muppets 3D attraction and rode Star Tours, had plans to head to Disney Springs that evening so went back to AoA for a few hours of R&R (possible that a nap was involved), then to DS where kids took off again and we spent a few hours shopping and getting drinks and snacks, boy DS
2021-11-13 08.38.16.jpg
2021-11-13 09.30.53.jpg
2021-11-13 09.51.53.jpg
2021-11-13 15.29.03.jpg
2021-11-13 16.05.14.jpg
was pretty busy and by far longest walk all week back to AoA bus pickup location.

plawren2

Original Poster
Day 5 "The END"-AK/flight home... we got slower and later start as had to pack bags and drop off at front desk, park opened at 730a (early entry) but we got through gates with short wait soon after 8am when regular crowds started to arrive, straight over to.......you all know where....... Avatar Flight of Passage... was just over 1 hr wait BUT.......OMG..... FANTASTIC...most amazing ride and technology in all of WDW...well worth the wait and early arrival..... then walked across park, snacks and drinks, rode Dinosaur...then kids split off again, so wife and I headed over to Pizzafari for shared lunch, got in line for Lion King show just 10 minutes before show, but could not get in...no problem, was worth a shot, walked though some shops, took pictures, decided to go into Friends in Flight show (waited about 40 min), walked through Discovery Island and Oasis shopping picking up snacks for bus ride and flight home, got in front of line for Lion King show, took last pictures and headed back to AoA for Magic Express ride to airport and flight home....... $1000s spent, 100s pictures, rode dozens of attractions shows, saw 3 fireworks and several popup parades, walked over 30 miles over the five days!!!, fun time was held by all...postscript-many may wonder why we choose certain rides/attractions and bypassed others, we focused on family favorites and newest ones (last family trip was 2011, my last trip with daughter only was in 2016), collectively we have 11 lifetime WDW visits, including 5 as family, I have most at 11, while wife has 4, son 3 and daughter has 6, and without young kids, the shows, character meet and greets (very limited currently) are not priority, avoided mid day long lines at rides/attractions we had been on before and not of interest, also we actually spent little in parks on purchases (we found selections actually limited and prices to high for our liking, even at Disney Springs) and besides the four reserved dinners, limited our food buys for snacks limited (but that still added up fast $$$$$). With this trip and our lifetime WDW experiences we certainly have opinions on where WDW is today in terms of costs, experiences, crowds, features etc.... but perhaps share those for another reflective post. Hope everyone enjoyed this report, feel free to post reply any questions that I could help with.
2021-11-14 10.33.27.jpg
2021-11-14 11.46.46.jpg
2021-11-14 11.49.03.jpg
2021-11-14 15.49.39.jpg

KellBelle

Thank you for the report! We are headed down in a few days and I have to say that your MK crowd pic is alarming lol.. We went in December last year and thought it was busy then. I am sure that our stay will be full up crowd wise. Thank you for sharing with us, it looked like a fun time!!!

plawren2

Original Poster
Thank you for the report! We are headed down in a few days and I have to say that your MK crowd pic is alarming lol.. We went in December last year and thought it was busy then. I am sure that our stay will be full up crowd wise. Thank you for sharing with us, it looked like a fun time!!!
It was a little busier then I expected, but not really surprised as crowds grew starting on Veterans Day as many other took advantage of federal holiday as we did, getting into parks early before main opening helped (we did not use Genie+ or LL but saw many families using) and plus since my wife and daughter only had 1/2 day in MK we spent the $$$$ and bought evening party tickets to extend their MK day.

KellBelle

It was a little busier then I expected, but not really surprised as crowds grew starting on Veterans Day as many other took advantage of federal holiday as we did, getting into parks early before main opening helped (we did not use Genie+ or LL but saw many families using) and plus since my wife and daughter only had 1/2 day in MK we spent the $$$$ and bought evening party tickets to extend their MK day.
We are going to a party also. We are looking forward to it. Sometimes things are just worth the inflated cost.. we are hoping this is one of them lol

plawren2

Original Poster
We are going to a party also. We are looking forward to it. Sometimes things are just worth the inflated cost.. we are hoping this is one of them lol
Frankly we only went because my wife and daughter otherwise would have only had 1/2 day in MK (in afternoon) and with crowds and lines, very limited ability to enjoy the rides and attractions they wanted. At the current cost, I don't see the value. But that's just my view of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom