News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

Quinnmac000

I guess I should have been more specific. I mean one where that has been done with a main character. I can't think of a case where that happened without backlash.
Oh Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor....Fred Astaire in the Jazz Singer which still is a classic to this day and not considered offensive by black people who have seen it, Yul Bryner in the King and I in which he plays Asian King,

Oh the most recent one I can think of that didn't cause controversy was Johnny Depp as Tonto

Vegas Disney Fan

I have to respectfully disagree.

Last night, I watched The Jungle Cruise for the first time and was tickled pink (no pun intended) when Lily’s brother revealed himself to be gay. This detail surely didn’t come about spontaneously; it was planned to be inclusive. And, on me at least, it worked.

It seems to me that the majority of people in this thread who have any issue with black Santa are white. They should stop to consider why that is.
Her brother being gay was written as integral to the story, her support for him was why he was willing to follow her around the world on her crazy adventures.

It’s a great example of using creativity to include inclusivity in a positive way.

celluloid

Oh Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor....Fred Astaire in the Jazz Singer which still is a classic to this day and not considered offensive by black people who have seen it, Yul Bryner in the King and I in which he plays Asian King,

Oh the most recent one I can think of that didn't cause controversy was Johnny Depp as Tonto
Those definitely did and have caused concern either in their releases or retrospect. None of those roles you mentioned were commonly played by a black performer and switched to a white role.

Also, those seem to not go with your claim for roles that would be traditionally a black character being changed to a white person playing that character that would not face backlash.

Vegas Disney Fan

Those definitely did and have caused concern either in their releases or retrospect. None of those roles you mentioned were commonly played by a black performer and switched to a white role.

Also, those seem to not go with your claim for roles that would be traditionally a black character being changed to a white person playing that character that would not face backlash.
If they were remade today they would 100% not be white actors and no one would disagree with that choice either.

When they were made decades ago was a different time though.

And Johnny Depp as Tonto caused a lot of controversy despite him having some Native American ancestry.

celluloid

If they were remade today they would 100% not be white actors and no one would disagree with that choice either.

When they were made decades ago was a different time though.
Might want to talk to Gal Gadot. She is facing backlash for not being dark/white(depending on who you talk to) enough for the role.

That is a separate discussion anyway and it sounds like you agree with me that I can't think of an example quinmac's claim that you could cast a white person into a traditionally black role without backlash. I am sure there is or could be one eventually...but I cannot think of one and have yet to see one named.

LittleBuford

Her brother being gay was written as integral to the story, her support for him was why he was willing to follow her around the world on her crazy adventures.

It’s a great example of using creativity to include inclusivity in a positive way.
They could have come up with any number of ways to explain his devotion to her. I agree with you that the end result works very well, but the point I was trying to make is that they chose to make him gay for purposes of inclusivity; nothing in the story demanded it. Such "planned inclusivity" (to paragraph celluloid) is, I would argue, both necessary and positive.

UNCgolf

Oh Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor

This one doesn't really apply. It's a misconception that Cleopatra was black/African. She was ethnically Greek for the most part -- it's possible she had some Egyptian heritage as well, but it's likely that the vast majority of her ancestral line was Macedonian.

Not that Elizabeth Taylor was Greek, but that's beside the point.

Budd

Black or white or all of the above... the real Santa Claus's naughty list during the past several hours of this thread be like
111421l.gif

Touchdown

We can all agree on one thing, at least we don't have to worry about this creepy as heck Santa Claus that was seen in this animatronic stage show at "Santa's Village" complete with an Elvis Elf and Rudolph. Also Santa's laugh is creeping me out! That is not a "Ho Ho Ho"!

Don’t mess with a treasured part of my childhood! Those aren’t even the original animatronics, Elfus 1.0 was even creepier. New Hampshire once had some really weird theme park attractions. Ever seen a video of Story Land’s Voyage to the Moon?
Skip to 9:05 for the POV portion:

The only weird ride still operating in NH is Canobie Lake’s Mine of Lost Souls:

Nubs70

Are D&I reboots the next "creative" direction for Hollywood? Another poster brought up "why not create additional characters with specific race"

Since Hollywood is bereft of the ability to create original content, they can create "new" content by forcing diversity and inclusion on existing franchises rather than taking the risk with creating organic content.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This image according to Google search results is a cartoon illustration of Santa without a hat.

90832415-santa-claus-without-hat-icon-vector-illustration-graphic-design.jpg

1) What makes this Santa?
2) If we were to ask the children of the world to color this illustration what would be the results?
3) For a racial bias and 1:1 comparison: let's say we colorized this cartoon image ourselves.
a) illustration showing a black Santa against a red backdrop
b) illustration showing a white Santa against a red backdrop

Showing these two illustrations to all the little children of the world; What would be the result, if polled?

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

This image according to Google search results is a cartoon illustration of Santa without a hat.

View attachment 600773

2) If we were to ask the children of the world to color this illustration what would be the results?
3) For a racial bias and 1:1 comparison: let's say we colorized this cartoon image ourselves.

Showing these two illustrations to all the little children of the world; What would be the result, if polled?
Uncle Remus?

JoeCamel

View attachment 600773

Uncle Remus?
Papa smurf

Robbiem

I think the real shame is that this is all Disneys diversity consultants can come up with - changing the race of a character. Its a wasted opportunity to learn more about other people and their cultures.
I would have loved some old school disney edutainment on how other cultures celebrate the holiday, their traditions, food etc it could be a really interesting experience and a good way to learn and try new things. Do this in the parks, on Disney plus, through National geographic etc - what is the history behind carribean Christmas cakes, why do religions celebrate festivals this time of year, how has migration changed celebrations around the world by blending different traditions it could be a really interesting way to celebrate.

Ive got nothing against black santa or any other kind of santa but it teaches me nothing new about those people and their cultures which to me should be the point of inclusiveness

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom