Another “Save Disney” Campaign?

Brer Oswald

Look at Disney+ and realize their number 1 show is The Simpson's and their only new must watch show is Mandalorian, a Lucasfilm show. The biggest new coming shows and movies are all IP's Iger purchased. Soul, the Marvel Shows, and The Star Wars Shows. Look at Hulu and their new original shows, they all are coming from Fox. It is the streaming services that will provide the profits the company needs to expand the parks, pay the Cast Members more and accomplish what you want.
This is a huge problem with Iger's Disney, and the brand erosion I believe Abigail is referring to. The Disney brand feels about as diverse as it was in the late 30s, when it really didn't need to be that diverse. The new Disney brand has become: "Marvel, Star Wars, and Dinsey Animation (aka, Mickey Mouse, Toy Story, Frozen)". Just about everything else is considered filler, that they only bring out when they absolutely need something else. These aquistions should have been something to add on to the growing brand, but instead, merely replaced what came before. Mickey and Toy Story are the only existing Disney properties that have improved under Iger's tenure.

Sure, Marvel has been an absolute success. But how long will you be able to consistently maintain the general public's interest with shows and movies about the second rate heroes, when it was the Avengers and Spider-Man that got their attention in the first place? The Mandalorian has done well, but is it a gurantee they will be able to maintain the momentum with the other shows? Will people get tired of it, like they did with the new trilogy?

Nostalgia sells. But not everyone is nostalgic for the same two properties.

Regarding Fox, I don't think they've used the aquistion well. They have a vast catalogue of films, stretching back to the Golden Age of Cinema, but it seems all Disney cares for is X-Men, Fantastic Four, and The Simpsons? The Simpsons is a big deal. But there is so much more they can do to diversify their brand rather than continuously focus on Marvel and Star Wars.

This isn't even talking about the low Cast Member morale (which hurts Disney's look and diminishes the "magic"), or Disney's foolish lack of interest in alternative mediums to film, like video games (a medium that is here to stay, and offers new opportunities for storytelling, imersion, and revenue).

Iger has done a lot to benefit Disney in the short term, but the company really needs to re-evalute some things going forward. Take the growth and maintain this momentum. Take chances when there is great opportuinity for expansion. And for the love of all that's good, treat your employees well, because they make the company what it is. "Resting on their laurels" is exactly what has gotten Disney into trouble so many times before.

seascape

Of course they could have. It would have looked a lot different than what they built with Disney+, but they chose to compete with the giants in media (and they're doing a fine job!). But that was a choice- Disney chose to buy IP rather than develop IP. They could have chosen instead to go a different route and still have seen success in streaming.

This rationale makes sense in theory, but we've really yet to see it play out in reality. A great deal of all the money they make from selling other people's IP is going into investors' and Executives' pockets, and relatively little is going into the parks or to pay CMs.

Yes, I'm willing to give Chapek some time. But it's not like he's new to Disney, or an unknown quantity. Between businessmen and creatives, we know which side he tends toward.

It's wrong to say he didn't have to lay off thousands of Cast Members during the pandemic when the company is still making billions in profits each month?
What profits? They lost money. All Divisions combined lost $710 million in the quarter! Please tell me how a company that lost almost 3/4 of a billion dollars can pay all the Cast Members. You are only looking at revenue and not expenses. The Parks lost $1.098 billion in the quarter. That is with staff reductions and still having $2.58 billion in revenue. How much did you want them to lose?

seascape

This is a huge problem with Iger's Disney, and the brand erosion I believe Abigail is referring to. The Disney brand feels about as diverse as it was in the late 30s, when it really didn't need to be that diverse. The new Disney brand has become: "Marvel, Star Wars, and Dinsey Animation (aka, Mickey Mouse, Toy Story, Frozen)". Just about everything else is considered filler, that they only bring out when they absolutely need something else. These aquistions should have been something to add on to the growing brand, but instead, merely replaced what came before. Mickey and Toy Story are the only existing Disney properties that have improved under Iger's tenure.

Sure, Marvel has been an absolute success. But how long will you be able to consistently maintain the general public's interest with shows and movies about the second rate heroes, when it was the Avengers and Spider-Man that got their attention in the first place? The Mandalorian has done well, but is it a gurantee they will be able to maintain the momentum with the other shows? Will people get tired of it, like they did with the new trilogy?

Nostalgia sells. But not everyone is nostalgic for the same two properties.

Regarding Fox, I don't think they've used the aquistion well. They have a vast catalogue of films, stretching back to the Golden Age of Cinema, but it seems all Disney cares for is X-Men, Fantastic Four, and The Simpsons? The Simpsons is a big deal. But there is so much more they can do to diversify their brand rather than continuously focus on Marvel and Star Wars.

This isn't even talking about the low Cast Member morale (which hurts Disney's look and diminishes the "magic"), or Disney's foolish lack of interest in alternative mediums to film, like video games (a medium that is here to stay, and offers new opportunities for storytelling, imersion, and revenue).

Iger has done a lot to benefit Disney in the short term, but the company really needs to re-evalute some things going forward. Take the growth and maintain this momentum. Take chances when there is great opportuinity for expansion. And for the love of all that's good, treat your employees well, because they make the company what it is. "Resting on their laurels" is exactly what has gotten Disney into trouble so many times before.

"Resting on their laurels" That was what Walt's and Roy's children did. Iger took huge risks buying all the IP he did. As for Fox and using it's assests, do you know they are filming some of the Marvel movies in Australia on Fox lots? Have you noticed Deadpool is on Hulu? How about FX on Hulu. Why has Hulu grown so rapidly? It's the Fox assets. Hulu is growing faster than any other streaming company except for Disney+. BTW, have you watched The Sound of Music? How about Christmas Vacation? What about National Geographic? I could go on and on. Disney has put Fox movies on both services and in my opinion has done it right. Finally, look at how many people in Canada and Europe are glad they are getting a big rate increase because they want the Star tab.

Brer Oswald

"Resting on their laurels" That was what Walt's and Roy's children did. Iger took huge risks buying all the IP he did. As for Fox and using it's assests, do you know they are filming some of the Marvel movies in Australia on Fox lots? Have you noticed Deadpool is on Hulu? How about FX on Hulu. Why has Hulu grown so rapidly? It's the Fox assets. Hulu is growing faster than any other streaming company except for Disney+. BTW, have you watched The Sound of Music? How about Christmas Vacation? What about National Geographic? I could go on and on. Disney has put Fox movies on both services and in my opinion has done it right. Finally, look at how many people in Canada and Europe are glad they are getting a big rate increase because they want the Star tab.
Pixar wasn't a risk. They had well proven themselves, making films under Disney no less. Marvel was a steal. I suppose you could say Star Wars was a risk. But risks are about more than purchasing existing assets. It's what you do with these assets that matters. It's nice that all of these things are on Hulu. Not that you can even access it outside of the States, nor is it visibly a part of the Disney Brand, which was the point I was trying to make.

seascape

Pixar wasn't a risk. They had well proven themselves, making films under Disney no less. Marvel was a steal. I suppose you could say Star Wars was a risk. But risks are about more than purchasing existing assets. It's what you do with these assets that matters. It's nice that all of these things are on Hulu. Not that you can even access it outside of the States, nor is it visibly a part of the Disney Brand, which was the point I was trying to make.
You should expect to receive by March the Walt Disney Company's owned content that is on Hulu to appear on the Star section of Disney+ in Europe and Canada and probably the Middle East and Africa. Asia is getting Disney+ Hotstar and may eventually got the option to add more content at a higher price. Latin America will get Star+ which will include lots of Disney owned content and ESPN+.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
She isn’t keeping her wealth. Her Daphne Foundation supports organizations to fight poverty in NYC.

I agree that Disney increasing CM minimum wages is a good step but not enough. It’s actually not the initial hire rate that concerns me, it’s that frontline CMs will essentially never make a living wage. Also, I think Abigail is right about Executive compensation at Disney being ridiculous.

If she is mounting an effort to make changes at Disney, it won’t be about CM mimimum wage, though. What do you think about her charges that the company has been all about shareholders and not about customers? To me, that’s the biggest “heart and soul” issue at the Company, and it sounds like Abigail get this.
The Daphne Foundation isn't exactly giving away her wealth. It has done little in the past 10 years other than giving out a few small grants to her favorite causes. I would call it more of a pet project than her giving back her wealth. Most years it has given out grants under 500 thousand and she is worth between 120 and 150 mil. Here is a look at their financials.

seascape

The Daphne Foundation isn't exactly giving away her wealth. It has done little in the past 10 years other than giving out a few small grants to her favorite causes. I would call it more of a pet project than her giving back her wealth. Most years it has given out grants under 500 thousand and she is worth between 120 and 150 mil. Here is a look at their financials.

Another interest statistic on the National Debt Clock page is that it includes the median income level of US workers. As of today they say its $34,656.00. That works out to $16.66 an hour based on a 40 hour week. The average Disney Cast Member at WDW makes $39,600 or 14% more than the median US worker.

_caleb

Original Poster

I don't know much about Abigail Disney. I've only recently heard some of her criticisms of the Company. I'm not here to defend her, just to say I'm wondering if she might be part of a new kind of "Save Disney" campaign.

A quick google search shows that she's given away $70M since she received access to her trust fund.

seascape

I don't know much about Abigail Disney. I've only recently heard some of her criticisms of the Company. I'm not here to defend her, just to say I'm wondering if she might be part of a new kind of "Save Disney" campaign.

A quick google search shows that she's given away $70M since she received access to her trust fund.
I think one of the most telling things in The Foundation's tax forms is how little they pay their employees versus what the Board and Trustees get paid. They somehow have pension and benefits expenses that are 4.5 times what they pay for employees so they must be giving a pension to the Board members and trustees. I wonder who that covers? Any bets Abigail gets a pension on this charitable foundation she created?

_caleb

Original Poster
What profits? They lost money. All Divisions combined lost $710 million in the quarter! Please tell me how a company that lost almost 3/4 of a billion dollars can pay all the Cast Members. You are only looking at revenue and not expenses. The Parks lost $1.098 billion in the quarter. That is with staff reductions and still having $2.58 billion in revenue. How much did you want them to lose?
Oops, meant “revenue,” not “profit.” I understand that Disney lost money.

I want them to have valued Cast Members more so that there was a commitment to providing for them.

I don’t want Disney to lose any money! But I don’t think buying Fox or stock buybacks were worth underpaying CMs or laying them off during the pandemic.

seascape

Oops, meant “revenue,” not “profit.” I understand that Disney lost money.

I want them to have valued Cast Members more so that there was a commitment to providing for them.

I don’t want Disney to lose any money! But I don’t think buying Fox or stock buybacks were worth underpaying CMs or laying them off during the pandemic.
Do you realize how large India's population is? Hotstar has 300,000,000 to 400,000,000 free streaming customers in India and over 20,000,000 Disney+ Hotstar paying customers. The Fox assets in India, Latin America and Asia were the reason both Disney and Comcast wanted to buy Fox. It is those assets that will allow Disney to pass Netflix and become the number 1 Worldwide Streaming Provider. Plus prior to the Fox purchase Disney's market cap was in the 160 to 180 billion range and after buying most of Fox for a net of under 50 billion their market cap is over 310 billion, a 130 to 150 billion increase.

As for the Cast Members, I am on record as supporting them as nd wanting them to be the best paid in the industry. However, most Cast Members understand why Disney, Universal and Seaworld had layoffs, and its not because the companies don't care about them but due to Covid19 that came to this country and was not the fault of any of the companies.

Slpy3270

Abigail's never held a position in the Disney board nor has anyone else in the Disney family vouched for her.

Hell the Disney family's politics are likely in line with Rupert Murdoch's, given Walt's history of anti-communist activism as well as support for Republican and conservative politics.

_caleb

Original Poster
Abigail's never held a position in the Disney board nor has anyone else in the Disney family vouched for her.

Hell the Disney family's politics are likely in line with Rupert Murdoch's, given Walt's history of anti-communist activism as well as support for Republican and conservative politics.
What does this have to do with the possibility of Abigail leading a “Save Disney“-type campaign? Not being snarky, just asking what the connection is.

Her father resigned from the Board and was “just” a shareholder when he launched his campaign, and it was pretty successful. The name certainly helped.

_caleb

Original Poster
Dear Old Dad is the guy who said Iger wouldn’t due and then suddenly had a change of heart, leading to the current situation.
Yep. He started off a big fan of Eisner’s, but then changed his mind. To be fair, Wells’ passing may have been part of that change.

And Iger was pretty much a post-Wells Eisner clone, so it made sense Roy would not be happy with Iger as CEO. But then he was fine with it. Was it really all just about Pixar?

seascape

I know none of us are happy with Cheapsteak Bob right now. However, I say give him one more chance this year
Remeber, he too over in 2020 at the beginning of Covid19. He had to take immediate action to ptotect the company. Did he go too far? Yes. However, now the company is in good shape and the economy is stable. He has to take bold steps and grow the company. If he fails, as many expect, the Board has to replace him. He has 12 months, or it will be too late and the Board has to replace him. I hope he does the right thing because even with the horrible first 2 years, he still has a small window of time to show the Board they made the right decission in selecting him.

Oscar

I just want to start off by saying that i have a dream of working for the entire Disney company. I wanted to be like Walt Disney, the next generation Walt Disney. I keep drawing Disney characters since the end of 2021. The acquisition by them like Marvel, Lucasfilm, 20th Century, National Geographic, Pixar and ABC stays and my passion project is Disney owning Winx Club. I wish Abigail Disney trust me to be in charge of the Disney company with a help of a female CEO like Jennifer Lee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom