Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stitch826

Here's another somewhat predictable side-effect of the pandemic. We now have a national shortage of in-patient nurses. Going on two years of high-intensity work, seeing the same avoidable consequences of this disease over and over again, many nurses have called it quits and gone on to work in greener pastures. This could be working in the outpatient setting, administration, academia, or the very financially lucrative "traveling nurse" position. I can't say I blame them. If I was still working on the in-patient side, I probably would have burned out too.

This is currently having severe consequences all across the country, because the number of available nurses at any one given time largely determines hospital capacity. The COVID numbers right now in the US aren't great, but not catastrophic either, but the stresses of the pandemic have now reduced what little resiliency existed in the health care system even further. Just about all of the hospitals in my state and the larger region are swamped right now for this very reason.
Is this not true for nearly all industries since the pandemic? Not only is there a shortage of nurses, there’s a shortage of employees in nearly every industry. Restaurants, retail, teachers, bus drivers, hotel workers, delivery workers…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is this not true for nearly all industries since the pandemic? Not only is there a shortage of nurses, there’s a shortage of employees in nearly every industry. Restaurants, retail, teachers, bus drivers, hotel workers, delivery workers…
Difference is they're more skilled/important…

not like some of the state employees I’ve encountered over the last two years saying “I was gonna wait to retire for 2 more years…but I’ve had enough! 31 years is plenty!”

🙄

Vegas Disney Fan

Pretty much every profession that deals directly with the public is struggling right now… people have lost their collective minds over the last couple years and become ruder and less civilized than ever.

Heppenheimer

If a restaurant is short-staffed, your dinner takes longer.

If a hospital is short-staffed, you get diverted, potentially hours away from where you live. Or, you sit in the ER for 1-3 days waiting for a bed to open somewhere, anywhere. And your care might be suboptimal.

DisneyCane

Those “studies” are like the anti- “weather pattern” debates. 97%-3%…

so saying “some studies” makes it appear reasonable and 50/50…it’s not.

fauci will go down as one of the greatest medical public servants in history…when the absolute BS subsides…the majority of his critics never even bothered to look him up…I would bet.

but hey…we’ll keep doing the contrarian thing, right?
These studies can be found on the CDC site.

As for Fauci, here's a direct quote from him in 1983 talking about AIDS. He has a history of being incorrect and making up answers that aren't based on science at all:

"Well, for example, if — if the close contact of the child is a household contact, perhaps there will be a certain number of cases and individuals who are just living with and in close contact with someone with AIDS or at risk of AIDS who do not necessarily have, uhh, to have intimate sexual contact or share a needle but just the ordinary close contact that one sees in normal interpersonal relationships."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These studies can be found on the CDC site.

As for Fauci, here's a direct quote from him in 1983 talking about AIDS. He has a history of being incorrect and making up answers that aren't based on science at all:
No…as he’s said about a billion times to grandstanding senators…the conclusions change as the knowledge increases in research. It’s not jeopardy…the answers are never “locked in”

but keep doing “that thing”

JoeCamel

No…as he’s said about a billion times to grandstanding senators…the conclusions change as the knowledge increases in research. It’s not jeopardy…the answers are never “locked in”

That "thing" has been going on so long now despite being shown it is twisted, incorrect and just plan warped thinking I have to wonder why? What is the goal and endpoint? Just to explain how they know the real truth and can spread it on the internet? It seems - compulsive?

J4546

people are easy to manipulate with fear and anger hence why many "news" programs and so many websites nowadays are fear based propaganda instead of factual reporting. Really really crappy times we live in when it comes to honesty and integrity on the news/internet and just in general.

Lilofan

If a restaurant is short-staffed, your dinner takes longer.

If a hospital is short-staffed, you get diverted, potentially hours away from where you live. Or, you sit in the ER for 1-3 days waiting for a bed to open somewhere, anywhere. And your care might be suboptimal.
Having your loved one in the ER lying on a temp bed in the hallway with many others, because no more room at the inn is no joke. The line to the ER was also stretched out the door outside in the sidewalk and the outside temps were around 95 degrees .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That "thing" has been going on so long now despite being shown it is twisted, incorrect and just plan warped thinking I have to wonder why? What is the goal and endpoint? Just to explain how they know the real truth and can spread it on the internet? It seems - compulsive?

It’s just this warped reality where conmen and hucksters have lead people to believe their uniformed opinions now carry the weight of truth.

mmascari

For instance, in FL if you study breakthrough infections in June vs. August, of course there are going to be more per capita in August because community spread was so high in comparison. If you study FL in November there will be significantly fewer breakthrough infections because community spread is so much lower. That doesn't mean the vaccine efficacy vs. infection waned in August and then got better in November.

So, we’re all good then. Vaccination reduces risk, not eliminates, at the individual level.

Which means it’s in an individual’s best interest for community spread to be as low as possible.
Other mitigations will have some impact, but they’re nowhere near as good and they’re definitely not durable like vaccination. Nobody wants to do them forever.

Now it gets more complicated.

For “reasons”, we cannot:
- mandate vaccination, even though that would be most effective.
- have vaccine passports to create vaccinated bubbles, little groups acting like there was a mandate.
- have other mitigations, since they’re not good enough compared to vaccination.

This is the confusion. An individual should get vaccinated since that offers the best personal protection. But they shouldn’t ask the community to do the things that reduce community spread even though that’s also the best personal protection. 🤷‍♂️

Past all the talking points and debates, there’s only 2 sets of things occurring:
1-Stuff that will reduce community spread. Thus providing the best personal protection.
2-Stuff that will prolong higher levels of community spread. Thus being a direct threat to both the person and others.

We need the first. Tired of the second. All the takes of “I’m vaccinated, but it’s cool for others to prolong higher spread” is the second. It’s directly saying living in a less safe world is good. Why bother getting vaccinated to begin with.

DisneyCane

The great Fauci never says "we don't know yet." He gives an answer in an authoritative and condescending tone that is based on nothing more than his guess. It isn't changing science. There was no science to base his answer about AIDS transmission on in 1983. Then he contradicted himself with actual, correct information a year later in a presentation.

He admitted that he pulled a number out of his behind for what percentage needed to be vaccinated for herd immunity. There was no science, he just made it up.

SARS-CoV-2 did not become the first respiratory virus where universal masking is highly effective when decades of study on other respiratory viruses concluded that it isn't.

I've been consistent since day 1. Fauci is the one who contradicts himself constantly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The great Fauci never says "we don't know yet." He gives an answer in an authoritative and condescending tone that is based on nothing more than his guess. It isn't changing science. There was no science to base his answer about AIDS transmission on in 1983. Then he contradicted himself with actual, correct information a year later in a presentation.

He admitted that he pulled a number out of his behind for what percentage needed to be vaccinated for herd immunity. There was no science, he just made it up.

SARS-CoV-2 did not become the first respiratory virus where universal masking is highly effective when decades of study on other respiratory viruses concluded that it isn't.

I've been consistent since day 1. Fauci is the one who contradicts himself constantly.
His job is to say “based on what we currently know…the data says ____”

and he says it all the damn day.

Last edited by a moderator:

correcaminos

Being consistent isn't always the best way to be either. I've ticked off enough people here with my comments because I tend to be a move with the flow person. I've been accused of not caring and being too strict with measures.

I'm asking this sincerely, why does Fauci matter so much? He's pretty much just a figurehead. The real data comes elsewhere.

Had a busier afternoon packing but from earlier March was possibly different here. A couple days after that quote everything shut down. People were going crazy stockpiling and such before hand. So I do view it different.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm asking this sincerely, why does Fauci matter so much? He's pretty much just a figurehead. The real data comes elsewhere.

Because he’s the “face” of the CDC and the CDC are the experts we look to for guidance.

I still think Biden should have asked someone else to step up as the CDC spokesperson, not because Fauci was bad but because so many people don’t trust him and feel he’s too political. A fresh face, without a year and a half of changing recommendations with new discoveries, may resonate better.

Casper Gutman

Because he’s the “face” of the CDC and the CDC are the experts we look to for guidance.

I still think Biden should have asked someone else to step up as the CDC spokesperson, not because Fauci was bad but because so many people don’t trust him and feel he’s too political. A fresh face, without a year and a half of changing recommendations with new discoveries, may resonate better.
Whoever replaced Fauci would have immediately been pilloried in exactly the same way. Whatever faults he might have (and in my opinion he has many of the faults of a well-intentioned lifetime bureaucrat-scientist) his vilification had almost nothing to do with them. It had to do with a massive ecosystem of individuals seeking power and profit from directing the anger of confused, scared people at a single convenient target. The precise details might have changed, but the replacement would have been quickly and broadly painted as an arrogant, over-educated but ultimately ignorant elitist at best, at worst a member of a shadowy, conspiratorial cabal intentionally causing all of the worlds ills. And replacing Fauci would have given the folks perpetuating that view a big win.

Tom P.

Fauci doesn't even work for the CDC. The face of the CDC today is Dr. Rochelle Walensky. And she's on TV all the time. Fauci is over at the NIH. He's not directly involved in the policymaking of either the FDA or the CDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom