News Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2021 Earnings Results Webcast

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except everyone uses metrics now. The bloggers seem to scrape the data and get an exceptions report anytime a menu item or price is changed. Then they use that data to decide what restaurants to revisit and write their blog posts. The trend is towards a greater number of people knowing when WDW makes a price change within days or hours of the change. Not everyone knows that information is available, but it’s reached the point where that information *is* readily available to anyone who wants it. It’s actually been a bit horrifying how frequently my Feedly gets populated with “all the menu changes at X” type posts.
It’s not we, who look at that data - that matters

it’s the casual tourist who only has a sense of being overcharged or not that does. There’s a fine line between “nice, but pricey” and “what am I being charged for?”

chapek is a borderline idiot…a crap peddler by trade and pedigree. He’s so knee deep in it…in fact…he probably can’t smell it anymore

doctornick

The $25 still seems pretty expensive though. Is that comparable to the other cruise lines? I honestly wouldn't want the hassle of bringing my own bottle to dinner, so I'd just pay whatever ugly cost it was for their booze at the table. In the room though it's good that you can have your own beer or wine should you choose to do so. They use the word "OR", so I assume that you can't bring one bottle of wine and a 6-pack. Is that correct?

From what I read of the policy, it's two bottles or wine or a 6 pack per person. So multiple adults in the same group could have more as each has their own allotment. Also, they allow you to bring on that quantity at each port of call. So, you could in theory buy something in Nassau or wherever else you stop and bring in on in addition to the original allotment from when you embark.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The parks are doing fine and remain the golden goose that prints money for Disney. Globally the parks aren't even close to back to 100% and the parks are profitable. I am not worried that they'll do weird stuff like banning breakfast bars from backpacks.

This earnings call was all about Disney+ staying on target for their 2024 subscriber goal and it's looking shaky right now but there's still time.
The profit does not come from Disney+
The primary “engine” is the parks as they currently stand…if they make bad mistakes there…it will have shockwaves. We’re not quite there yet

doctornick

The parks are doing fine and remain the golden goose that prints money for Disney. Globally the parks aren't even close to back to 100% and the parks are profitable. I am not worried that they'll do weird stuff like banning breakfast bars from backpacks.

This earnings call was all about Disney+ staying on target for their 2024 subscriber goal and it's looking shaky right now but there's still time.
Their at launch Disney+ subscriber goal was 90 million by 2024, which they blew past quickly (they achieved 100M in ~16 months after launch). After the initial success, they reforecasted to 230 to 260 million by 2024, which I agree is a lofty goal but 3 years is basically an eternity in the streaming business.

Ayla

I don’t think it’s a big enough money deal to fight…

…but then again…magical express is a pittance operational cost and they want the average family to pay $150-$500 to get 10 miles and back…that puts them in a sour mood when they arrive/depart

just stupid
Don't ever underestimate the ability of the current leadership to nickel and dime customers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their at launch Disney+ subscriber goal was 90 million by 2024, which they blew past quickly (they achieved 100M in ~16 months after launch). After the initial success, they reforecasted to 230 to 260 million by 2024, which I agree is a lofty goal but 3 years is basically an eternity in the streaming business.
…but where’s the money?

what Disney + does for Wall Street is what they love/are addicted to: speculating money in the future To cash out on it today.

it’s perfect this…using 100 of reputation of the “D” and gaudy subscription numbers.

MrPromey

Except everyone uses metrics now. The bloggers seem to scrape the data and get an exceptions report anytime a menu item or price is changed. Then they use that data to decide what restaurants to revisit and write their blog posts. The trend is towards a greater number of people knowing when WDW makes a price change within days or hours of the change. Not everyone knows that information is available, but it’s reached the point where that information *is* readily available to anyone who wants it. It’s actually been a bit horrifying how frequently my Feedly gets populated with “all the menu changes at X” type posts.
But that was my point when I commented about him noticing the price increase while most will not.

Of course the information will be out there but it's a special subset of the Disney audience who is this actively engaged.

If it isn't picked up by mainstream media, I think they would get (and have gotten) away with it when it comes to the majority of their paying audience.

hopemax

It’s not we, who look at that data - that matters

it’s the casual tourist who only has a sense of being overcharged or not that does. There’s a fine line between “nice, but pricey” and “what am I being charged for?”

chapek is a borderline idiot…a crap peddler by trade and pedigree. He’s so knee deep in it…in fact…he probably can’t smell it anymore
And what I’m saying is those price increases are posted right there next to “Which F&W booths you should not miss!” Or “What is the best dessert at WDW.” Things casual tourists do seek out before their trip because they don’t want FOMO on their once in a lifetime trip. It doesn’t have to be just a sense anymore, the hard evidence is so much more easy to stumble into by casuals than before MDE.

Ayla

I want to see the numbers in a couple years, after people are no longer stuck at home with nothing else to do. That is what fueled the massive increase in subscribers.

ImperfectPixie

To me it seems like the same Bob. I always got the impression the other one just didn't really focus much attention on the parks and we know who was in charge of them under that Bob... This feels like our current Bob getting to fully shine.
That's the feeling I get, too. Iger focused on parks less and was less openly sleazy. Chapek is a whole new level of sleazebag, and he doesn't care who knows it.

MickeyLuv'r

Disney has never restricted outside food into the park. They are about the only ones that can say that. I believe the philosophy there is because they trend so younger…it was not a battle worth fighting/ticking people off over.
They did however put a restriction - in 2019 I think- against bringing loose ice into the parks. As in, you can no longer bring a cooler with loose ice, dry ice, or even baggies of ice. Only cold packs. That is a significant limit unless your hotel room has a full-size fridge/freezer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What Christine said was indeed rude and tone deaf. It seems she realized that "smaller portions" sounded miserly (it was) and tried to cover it with a joke, which may have worked if she applied it solely to herself in a self-deprecating way, but missed the mark. There should be an apology. But there shouldn't be a petition to get her fired over it. That's just as callous, if not more so.

Anyhoo, with regard to portion control, too much can be wasteful. Especially when you consider people heading back into the parks don't want to be carrying around a doggie bag. Or that such a doggie bag does them no good in a hotel room with no way to reheat the food.

That's why I prefer the buffets and the all-you-care-to-eat meals. I'm in control of the portions.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I want to see the numbers in a couple years, after people are no longer stuck at home with nothing else to do. That is what fueled the massive increase in subscribers.
As a "Day 1" subscriber, I got an email that I'll be getting a specially curated "Disney Box" of goodies as a Thank You... but only AFTER my auto-renewal invoices on the 12th... given they are offering this, I have to think they have concerns that Day 1 subscribers who paid for 2 years at the initial discount will let their subscription lapse. I wonder if they already have evidence of early adapters dropping out in significant numbers...

ImperfectPixie

What Christine said was indeed rude and tone deaf. It seems she realized that "smaller portions" sounded miserly (it was) and tried to cover it with a joke, which may have worked if she applied it solely to herself in a self-deprecating way, but missed the mark. There should be an apology. But there shouldn't be a petition to get her fired over it. That's just as callous, if not more so.

Anyhoo, with regard to portion control, too much can be wasteful. Especially when you consider people heading back into the parks don't want to be carrying around a doggie bag. Or that such a doggie bag does them no good in a hotel room with no way to reheat the food.

That's why I prefer the buffets and the all-you-care-to-eat meals. I'm in control of the portions.
PLUS...everyone in the family gets to have something they like.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They did however put a restriction - in 2019 I think- against bringing loose ice into the parks. As in, you can no longer bring a cooler with loose ice, dry ice, or even baggies of ice. Only cold packs. That is a significant limit unless your hotel room has a full-size fridge/freezer.
In addition to cold packs, you can get complimentary cups of ice from food vendors once you enter the park. Also, you can probably get a lot more ice if you order a drink from a place with the self-serve soda machines. Ka-ching!

pdude81

For some reason I had the impression at the time that the ice thing had more to do with security than keeping things cold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom