News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

matt9112

Not to burst your bubble but you do realize that a lot of people from history both fiction and nonfiction that are depicted as White were not actually White don't you? You don't really believe that Jesus was the only White dude around Jerusalem 2000 years ago do you? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

If you have to have a conversation with your child because there's a Black Santa Claus it's probably because you need to have a conversation with your child.

#triggered

matt9112

I love the people trying to cover their outdated thoughts with the guise of it not being fair to make santa not white unless they make him every other race.

I guess it's only important to represent people who are large enough populatioms to matter. In the case of those that identify as black in America its 12.4% however the hispanic population is 18.7% so to truely be fairish...there should be three santas. A white,black,hispanic santa.

Lilofan

I guess it's only important to represent people who are large enough populatioms to matter. In the case of those that identify as black in America its 12.4% however the hispanic population is 18.7% so to truely be fairish...there should be three santas. A white,black,hispanic santa.
Hawaii has a 58% Asian American population so make that an Asian Santa Claus in Honolulu probably wearing flip flops ( the normal shoe attire in HI ) and sunglasses. Hang loose, Santa!

castlecake2.0

I just find it funny that everyone was fine with only a white Santa at Disney parks for the last 65 years and then when a different colored santa shows up all of a sudden people seem to care about representation. Also Disney has put out no official word on this, so there very well will be multiple Santaā€™s.

Goofyernmost

Do you know anyone who seriously believes that Jesus was white? I don't.
You may not know anyone, but that doesn't mean that millions of Christians brought up with the white image of Christ don't even think about it and if they do, they deny it because that isn't what they were taught. You apparently haven't been paying attention to recent events.

Disneyson

Several years ago, I was told by a World Showcase cast member that they have the ā€œReal Santaā€ at Epcot. Initially I was confused because there are upwards of four Santa stories being told at the same time around the lagoon. Of course he meant the one ā€œin Americaā€. I went to visit him, and he seemed, at least in that moment, to have had a very long day shopping at Bass Pro Shops and happened to take a rest in a gazebo - wasnā€™t much for interaction. I think itā€™s funny that the ā€œrealā€ Santa mattered much less to me than the many, many other holiday performances around the lagoon.

Macyā€™s in New York has been doing this for a very long time. You can even whisper to an elf your request and they will try to fill it if they can, guiding you to a different room down a hallway.

As long as Disney continues to do the holiday storytellers in World Showcase, there is no case to be made for continuity. If this makes some kids happy, so be it. If it makes some kids sad, Iā€™d just point to any of the other Santas in World Showcase. As a parent, you are fit to canonize whomever you like - or even multiple.

Lilofan

I just find it funny that everyone was fine with only a white Santa at Disney parks for the last 65 years and then when a different colored santa shows up all of a sudden people seem to care about representation. Also Disney has put out no official word on this, so there very well will be multiple Santaā€™s.
One poster said Black Santa was greeting cast at Epcot yesterday.

correcaminos

But that would be proactive inclusion.
How is that proactive inclusion? I see it more of forcing an icon on locations that have little or nothing to do with Christmas. We are not a Christian globe. And even within some regions they choose to have other gift bearers during the season like St. Nick and the 3 Kings. Putting Santa in a Muslim country like Morocco or in China where less than 1% are Christian and celebrate Christmas makes zero sense. We need to respect cultures, not force an idea on them.

correcaminos

Well as a Latina...we really don't have a "Santa"...we have the "Three Kings"....January 6th...Sea World has a beautiful event every year and it's packed...maybe Epcot might be able to do the same...
They have the 3 Kings at Mexico.

Our house does both in addition to St. Nick. . My spouse (parents not native mainlanders) did both even.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom