MSEP coming to Orlando?

Brad Bishop

Let's put on Bob's hat:

The MSEP only existed because they needed a reason to keep people in the park after dark. That kept spending on gifts and food up.

I think, based on what I gather about Bob, that he's using the MSEP to placate the DL folks who've been complaining about the Magic Key and other things (price increases, reduced service). As such, he's throwing them something that he doesn't have to spend much money on, will be loved by all, and will hush the angered tones: MSEP.

For WDW: Creating a new parade would be expensive. People are still lining up. Why bother? If needed, the MSEP can always be brought over for "one final season" and they can sell merch and even the people who like Spectro will be placated because, "well, at least we got something back for a nighttime parade."

Everything else, while we (I) talk about it here, is simply fantasy. We're not getting PTN or anything like it. We're not getting Tokyo's version. We'll get MSEP when DL is done with it (maybe) to hush the anger and keep people visiting even though prices were raised and staff was reduced.

drizgirl

Let's put on Bob's hat:

The MSEP only existed because they needed a reason to keep people in the park after dark. That kept spending on gifts and food up.

I think, based on what I gather about Bob, that he's using the MSEP to placate the DL folks who've been complaining about the Magic Key and other things (price increases, reduced service). As such, he's throwing them something that he doesn't have to spend much money on, will be loved by all, and will hush the angered tones: MSEP.

For WDW: Creating a new parade would be expensive. People are still lining up. Why bother? If needed, the MSEP can always be brought over for "one final season" and they can sell merch and even the people who like Spectro will be placated because, "well, at least we got something back for a nighttime parade."

Everything else, while we (I) talk about it here, is simply fantasy. We're not getting PTN or anything like it. We're not getting Tokyo's version. We'll get MSEP when DL is done with it (maybe) to hush the anger and keep people visiting even though prices were raised and staff was reduced.
Apparently we're not even getting Festival of Fantasy.

TTA94

Well we did have those rumors from some insiders last year of PTN, or some version of if, coming east lol. Unless that all was never true to begin with.

Brad Bishop

Apparently we're not even getting Festival of Fantasy.

Sounds like it costs money to put that parade on. Are people still lining up at the gate? I think we're fine.

I'm not a huge parade fan. I did like MSEP and, to some extent, Spectro. PTN impressed me and Festival of Fantasy, I thought, was pretty great.

All that being said, I don't see them using the parades until they feel the need. It's just spending money to them and has no effect on receipts.

drizgirl

Sounds like it costs money to put that parade on. Are people still lining up at the gate? I think we're fine.

I'm not a huge parade fan. I did like MSEP and, to some extent, Spectro. PTN impressed me and Festival of Fantasy, I thought, was pretty great.

All that being said, I don't see them using the parades until they feel the need. It's just spending money to them and has no effect on receipts.
Oh, I get it. We have to earn back every component of the park experience that was lost during the pandemic.

This isn't about whether you like parades or shows. This is about what guests have a right to expect when they pay the high price to attend the parks. It's about what USED TO set Disney apart.

Looks like Universal Orlando just had their most profitable quarter ever. Wonder what they did differently. I know they were never as heavy on shows and parades as Disney, but maybe more people are willing to give it a go now that Disney is holding back. And they opened a top notch roller coaster in the middle of the pandemic. Got us back this summer for the first time in 15 years.

Brad Bishop

Looks like Universal Orlando just had their most profitable quarter ever. Wonder what they did differently. I know they were never as heavy on shows and parades as Disney, but maybe more people are willing to give it a go now that Disney is holding back. And they opened a top notch roller coaster in the middle of the pandemic. Got us back this summer for the first time in 15 years.

I think that the major difference right now is that Comcast/Universal, from what I understand, has a guy who LOVES theme parks, and, thus, that's why you're seeing such huge, positive changes at Universal.

I think the last guy who was like that for Disney was Eisner. Before he lost Frank Wells, and his nerve (not a criticism - just stating a fact - he went through a lot at that point), he was very much about how great the theme parks were and how to make them even better.

Now? We have a business guy who runs the parks like a shop. He's either selling it or you're not getting it. Again, not a criticism of him, I think that's just who he is and where his mind is at with the parks.

Neither of the Bob's are theme park guys. They simply don't have the love and passion for them as you, I, and others here have. They'll add stuff if they have to because they're numbers guys and they get that by adding something, once in a while, helps the bottom line. They're not continually investing type of guys, though. Once the current set of attractions are built and whatever is going on at Epcot is finished / cut back to where it's "finished", things will be done for a decade or two (my guess: two).

ImperfectPixie

I think that the major difference right now is that Comcast/Universal, from what I understand, has a guy who LOVES theme parks, and, thus, that's why you're seeing such huge, positive changes at Universal.

I think the last guy who was like that for Disney was Eisner. Before he lost Frank Wells, and his nerve (not a criticism - just stating a fact - he went through a lot at that point), he was very much about how great the theme parks were and how to make them even better.

Now? We have a business guy who runs the parks like a shop. He's either selling it or you're not getting it. Again, not a criticism of him, I think that's just who he is and where his mind is at with the parks.

Neither of the Bob's are theme park guys. They simply don't have the love and passion for them as you, I, and others here have. They'll add stuff if they have to because they're numbers guys and they get that by adding something, once in a while, helps the bottom line. They're not continually investing type of guys, though. Once the current set of attractions are built and whatever is going on at Epcot is finished / cut back to where it's "finished", things will be done for a decade or two (my guess: two).
Agreed. You can't put a merchandise guy in charge of real-world experiences...he's too focused on spreadsheets and has no connection to what he's trying to sell.

JustAFan

The more Disney brings back "The Main Street Electrical Parade" (especially Walt Disney World), the more pointless the "Farewell Merchandise" becomes. How many times has Disney made "Glowing Away" merch for the parade? I think it was around 4 times or something like that.
Oh come on. Disney's never lied to us before.

By the way, remember to get your VHS copy of Cinderella by midnight tonight before it's locked in the Disney vault FOREVER!

SoFloMagic

I think the struggle is that park pass rewrites capacity and the concept of sold out attendance. Now they can manipulate that term. As they have it now, demand is stronger than supply but who knows what the true story is.
Id think there's a contingent of fans not returning until parades and dining plan returns, and id also imagine they're high on the per-guest spending totem pole.

All that to say: they really should bring Magic Happens out East. It's gotta be cheaper to run than FoF and they can run it as a twilight parade in the winter around 5 before fireworks at 7.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
also! why do WDW fans want other parks' nighttime parades so badly? get disney to make a brand-new one, one that'll blow all others out of the water

isn't that better than the constant hand-me-downs that WDW has been getting since spectromagic?
Well, of late when they try to do something all their own you get a cheap looking mess like Enchantment.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
not this again.

after the fiasco that was MSEP going to WDW (and coming back to disneyland pretty much in pieces and needing an extensive refurb), i'd be surprised if wdw ever gets a disneyland parade again

plus the reasons why disneyland doesn't run the parade (too expensive) won't magically change if the parade switches coasts

I’m sure TDA is just jumping for joy at the thought of another parade they own being loaned to TDO… 🙄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom