News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was at Magic Kingdom and Epcot this weekend. Masks were only required indoors and on rides. If someone forgot to wear one, a CM would gently remind them. One thing that surprised me was the lack of social distancing in the lines. The CMs were actively encouraging everyone to fill in all the available space. The lines were the best thing about COVID Disney in my opinion! I was hoping that would stick around a little. Anyway, the trip was fantastic and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.
It seemed kinda pointless to keep the masks and dump the distance. Many were keeping their distance…which is the way it always should be…but I was there during the Delta wave and packing people into the stretch rooms was complete bad management. Just didn’t look right.

ToTBellHop

CDC hasn’t dropped the mask mandate verbiage yet. So is Disney going by CDC or local mandates?
There is no CDC mask mandate. They admit that masking depends on local rate of spread and vaccination status. I suspect with kids down to 5 coming online next week, Disney will move quickly to, “we expect the unvaccinated to wear masks indoors.” Whether they include a “recommendation” for everyone else to wear a mask is up to them. It’s meaningless, regardless.

There is no CDC mask mandate. They admit that masking depends on local rate of spread and vaccination status. I suspect with kids down to 5 coming online next week, Disney will move quickly to, “we expect the unvaccinated to wear masks indoors.” Whether they include a “recommendation” for everyone else to wear a mask is up to them. It’s meaningless, regardless.
Confusing why people think this. As you said, they are personal recommendations based on the levels of transmission. Even Dr. Rochelle Walensky said that "wearing a mask is always a personal choice" when these recommendations were announced. I was actually surprised to see Disney mandate masks under this premise and assumed they were complying with the request of the OC Mayor.

Throughout most of this Disney has used a blend of the two leaning toward whichever is stricter at the time but never less restrictive than CDC recommendations.
This is not true. Disney removed their outdoor mask mandate when the CDC explicitly expressed that they should be universally worn, regardless of vaccination status, in crowded outdoor settings. They also reduced the distancing in their ride queues and shop lines from 6 ft. to 3 ft. when the CDC recommendation remained unchanged at 6 ft. They also continued to utilize plexiglass when the CDC expressed it may promote transmission rather than inhibit it. Disney is still using plexiglass today in some settings.

Thus far, Disney has complied almost solely to local mandates/requests. We'll see if that pattern continues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Throughout most of this Disney has used a blend of the two leaning toward whichever is stricter at the time but never less restrictive than CDC recommendations.

I wish they had done this…but in Florida they made a few calls that weren’t the best

This is not true. Disney removed their outdoor mask mandate when the CDC explicitly expressed that they should be universally worn, regardless of vaccination status, in crowded outdoor settings. They also reduced the distancing in their ride queues and shop lines from 6 ft. to 3 ft. when the CDC recommendation remained unchanged at 6 ft. They also continued to utilize plexiglass when the CDC expressed it may promote transmission rather than inhibit it. Disney is still using plexiglass today in some settings.

Thus far, Disney has complied almost solely to local mandates/requests. We'll see if that pattern continues.
Correct…they weren’t “irresponsible”…but they made choices to keep up with the Joneses and Benjamins in some cases

No word today huh? Interesting.....
It took about a week last time for them to make any changes and they did so on a Friday after market close (just as they did when they announced Genie+ details). So I would say if nothing after tomorrow, expect them to re-evaluate on a week by week basis as the levels of transmission continue to decrease.

They will almost surely be removing them after the county enters into moderate transmission status. They also have to weigh whether or not they want separate policies for WDW and DLR at the same time.

ToTBellHop

A large segment does deal with irrational fears but not unfounded. They won't be forever and civil liberties have nothing to do with this.

I didn't expect to hear this week from Disney but soon? Wouldn't be shocked. I give a 50/50 shot of having them when I go in a few weeks.

Social distancing can always return and never end as far as I am concerned
They have a CEO who is certain masks are costing the parks money…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom