All the changes at WDW. What's the effect on you?

Jrb1979

Whose goal?! Yours? It just doesn't make sense to add a new attraction, every year, to each park. For many reasons.
It sounds wonderful, it truly does! But...yeah, no.
So it makes sense for regional parks to add new attractions every year but not Disney. Ok got it.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I'm not saying to keep older rides forever and other parks have no problem keeping older rides til they reach the end of their service life.
Exactly, it may not make sense to keep rides when you’ve got a bunch of them, but Hollywood Studios of all places needs them. When they closed GMR, the park was down to 4! MK has 23; Disneyland/Cal Adventure has 50+ between the two; US has 10; IoA has 16. MMRR is great, but would be better in Animation Courtyard or elsewhere.

We’re back up to 9 now, 10 wouldn’t break the bank and would go a long way to making people see Hollywood Studios as a whole day experience.

The topic was what changes get you, one being the closure of GMR. What gets me is Disney thinking they can stay dominant over US with fewer rides that either US or IoA in 3 of the 4 parks; I think having less than 10 rides risks more people choosing to spend the day at a Universal park instead because they perceive there being more to do.

Mstr Gra-c

We had a trip cancelled due to covid in 2020. I am a "planner" and it was the best plan we'd ever had in advance. Now thinking about what to do and considering all the changes, not just "post-covid closing" and loss of FP+ being gone, but considering ALL the recent changes. In a discussion with family we limited it to 3 changes that affect our decision about the parks the most. Our list:

1. Great Movie Ride is now gone and replaced with MMRR. - we see this as a major decline.
2. Lights, Motor, Action Stunt Car show - gone
3. Osbourne Family lights - (say it ain't so!) - gone
Zeedan, as JohnD stated above...all 3 of these, went away for some newer, cooler stuff. I know that you may have lost some things that were really near and dear to your, and your families heart, but, what replaced them is pretty cool. And IMHO much better.

Mstr Gra-c

So it makes sense for regional parks to add new attractions every year but not Disney. Ok got it.
Actually, in many ways...yes. Thats because it has more international, once every few years, type visitors. Compare that with DCA which has a greater number of locals who visit yearly and more often per year and you can see the need to make more updates at DCA. Even with this being said, WDW is still the most visited, and according to the last bit of stats Hollywood studios was the sixth most visited park in 2019. Better than Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, DCA etc...

TotallyBiased

Liked TGMR but after the 2nd ride, the animation and stuff was pretty glaringly past it's prime. And did not like the cast member participation in the ride either. It was either decent or meh and just took away from it IMO.

Never got a chance to see the stunt show, so can't have an opinion there

OSF, never saw it so can't have an opinion there.

The Electric Light Parade I miss. ALways thought that was pretty cool.

Street performers/performances I miss. I recall catching the public works guys at HS with my daughter and having a good laugh.

I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm conveniently forgetting

zeedan

Original Poster
Zeedan, as JohnD stated above...all 3 of these, went away for some newer, cooler stuff. I know that you may have lost some things that were really near and dear to your, and your families heart, but, what replaced them is pretty cool. And IMHO much better.
Yes. These were near and dear. I guess my point was, when I picture DHS back in 2015, we all really liked the listed things. They made the "H" in DHS. The replacements are the changes that maybe also are "H" but more towards IP. I'm just in a bad mood today and wanted to vent about this so I thought I'd dump the issue onto y' all's laps so I didn't have to deal with the thoughts anymore. I miss the dang "H" in DHS as it used to be.

Mstr Gra-c

Yes. These were near and dear. I guess my point was, when I picture DHS back in 2015, we all really liked the listed things. They made the "H" in DHS. The replacements are the changes that maybe also are "H" but more towards IP. I'm just in a bad mood today and wanted to vent about this so I thought I'd dump the issue onto y' all's laps so I didn't have to deal with the thoughts anymore. I miss the dang "H" in DHS as it used to be.
I get that. Glad you could vent. We all have things we wish would never change...but alas...

KBLovedDisney

All the changes at WDW. What's the effect on you?​

embarrassed-sad.gif

Wendy Pleakley

It's frustrating when they replace rides instead of adding them. Did Disney really save that much money by replacing Universe of Energy instead of putting Guardians elsewhere. Heck, they have an attraction free pavilion steps away.

Universe of Energy was dated but it served a purpose as a high capacity and lengthy attraction that's a great option to have on busy days in particular. It's 45 minutes out of the sun and while dated, offered a unique experience. In its place is another thrill ride that will be in the single digit range for length, depending on pre-shows and what not.

Give us some "filler" attractions to do while we wait for our next upcharge Genie+ selection to come up.

Overall, I'm shifting towards doing split stays with Universal. I did this for the first time on my last trip. The addition of their waterpark and smaller crowds makes for a more relaxing atmosphere in many ways, and the Disney resort prices just aren't as justifiable to me as they once were.

Overall, nothing Disney has done has been a deal breaker for me. Losing Magical Express is a negative, but at a value of $15 per trip per person it's nowhere near make or break. Especially only using it one way.

Loss of Evening Magic Hours is a slight negative. I didn't find them super valuable at most parks because they were so busy. I imagine they're a great perk for the deluxe resort guests but I typically stay at the moderates. The daily Early Entry is a net gain.

Animaniac93-98

I no longer stay on site or buy multi-day tickets.

WDW is now a 1 or 2 day piece of a larger Orlando area trip.

My Universal AP cost less than one night in a standard room at most of Disney's deluxe resorts.

DfromATX

From your list, really only the TGMR affects me because I wish that instead of getting rid of it they updated it. I don't really care for the new ride. It's cute at best in my opinion. I could be in the minority on that one though.

I was really upset about Splash - at first - but I guess I've adapted and I'm ok with it now. I will look forward to the new version and I'm happy that younger children/generations may be able to relate to it more. We went last February and going again in January next year. The parks themselves are still very much enjoyable to us! I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new stuff in Epcot. I just wish Tron and GotG would be finished by the time we go.

It's the taking away perks and financial matters that bother me most. I'm going to be sour about Genie+ for a long time and I refuse to buy it. Will it stop me from going? I doubt it. I love Disney too much and I'm just going to go and have a good time like usual and try not to think about Bob Paycheck and Genie, etc...

Me, personally, it's Disney taking away the extra benefits and offering us less for more money!!!! There is absolutely no incentive to stay on property anymore unless you just want to be in the middle of it all. You can stay an amazing off property resort/hotel for just about half the price of an on property resort. Disney hikes up the price on everything! Look at the boo bash and the holiday .. crazy!!! For 3 adults to go to the Holiday party it would be over $575.00 and that includes the tiny discount I get for being a DVC member. It's nuts! Disney has changed into a money making machine and less magic. I would stop going if I weren't a DVC member. I couldn't afford it. I'm scared to think what the dining plan options are going to cost when they do come back! YIKES!!!

Kramerica

I was one of those fans who would constantly defend Disney for years and years. Despite the price increases, it was always gradual and I felt the experience was always worth it. The past two or three years the value for your dollar spent at Disney has dropped exponentially, it’s to the point where I’ve stopped defending the company and recommend other vacations to friends.

The initial buy in of an annual pass or park ticket used to be enough to have a great time in the parks. You could just show up and even though it was crowded, you know you’d have a great time. Nowadays I feel like going to the parks is a chore and a park ticket simply isn’t enough to get a full experience. I reluctantly bought an annual pass for a price that was hard to swallow, and now find myself in a confusing Kaleidoscope of rules and programs designed to collect my data and siphon money from me while not improving the experience whatsoever. I’m a filthy capitalist, I understand a company trying to make money and have no problem with it, but the way that the Disney company is going about this lately ruins the experience for the consumer. I feel like the golden era of disney parks fun has come to and end or is at the least on a hiatus.

Lou Filerman

No effect at all. Hopefully this will result in less people in the park which I’ll love. The more people that are upset, the less people that go which makes me happy.

SteveAZee

Yesterday I re-watched a video from my WDW trip in 1990. So many things have changed... attractions that no longer exist primarily. Then again, there are now lots of fun things to do that weren't there in 1990. It's definitely different... and it's not all negative. LOL, one thing in the video was my forgetting our park tickets back in the room and having to take the bus back and get them. Would have been nice to have a magic band or smartphone then. :)

I'm not going back until 2023 when most of the new stuff will be open and the kerfuffle and bugs of G+ and ILL have been worked out. I plan on having a good time... seeing some old, some new, some good and some bad. I have nostalgia for the stuff that's gone, but I will appreciate the new experiences too.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Always the museum crowd crops up in these discussions. These attractions have been gone for quite a while

2016 Osborne
2016 Lights!
2017 GMR

If you were really interested in the Osborne lights, you would have followed them to their new home at Give Kids the World where they are used for fundraising for the facility supporting its mission. It filled an otherwise empty section of the park, but it was seasonal so 10 months of the year the area was just facades used as an alley.

Lights! Even the Moteurs… Action! Stunt Show Spectacular is closing in Walt Disney Studios Park after 20 years. DHS was just a copy.

GMR was populated with intellectual property that was rented from its owners.

spock8113

" the changes at WDW. What's the effect on you?"​

I'm sorry to say the effects on me are minimal and I have more money to do other things that aren't crowded or where I have to wait in the heat. Clearly for me it's wait and see.

spock8113

Always the museum crowd crops up in these discussions. These attractions have been gone for quite a while

2016 Osborne
2016 Lights!
2017 GMR

If you were really interested in the Osborne lights, you would have followed them to their new home at Give Kids the World where they are used for fundraising for the facility supporting its mission. It filled an otherwise empty section of the park, but it was seasonal so 10 months of the year the area was just facades used as an alley.

Lights! Even the Moteurs… Action! Stunt Show Spectacular is closing in Walt Disney Studios Park after 20 years. DHS was just a copy.

GMR was populated with intellectual property that was rented from its owners.
Osbourne lights 2015

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom