News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

seascape

Care to explain? Just curious....
I don't buy into the view that DVC has any problems. Come 2042 Disney will regain full ownership of The Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas and Boulder Ridge. Old Key West will continue until 2057 and only Disney knows the percentage that is expiring in 2042 because the units they took back via ROFR are all extened upon their sales.

The reason I originally purchased was so we could spend a week every year. Since then we suffered from the most common disease DVC owner get, addonites and purchased points at Boardwalk, Grand Floridian and Copper Creek. We love it and now take 3 or 4 short trips, 4 night, along with our 9 night yearly trip. If it weren't for DVC we wouldn't have an annual pass, Platimum, and problably wouldn't visit more than once every 2 years. It is because of DVC that we go and spend as much as we do. We spend over $5,000 a year in dues and our passes and many times that on food and in the stores. DVC does not hurt Disney's bottom line it adds to it because of people like me. Plus the timeshare industry has hundreds of thousands of other owners of Orlando Timeshares that visit WDW every as Orlando is the Timeshare Capital of the World.

CaptainAmerica

If Chapek sells off ESPN, it just shows that anything and everything is on the chopping block. Maybe this gives some slight credence to that rumor that DVC could be sold? I'm sure if they rework the boarders they could sell off AK and AKL. 😂
No. DVC is not being sold. It's an incoherent concept. Literally impossible. Not going to happen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Care to explain? Just curious....
What do they do when the first wave of contracts expire?

doze them? Convert them? Try to resell old things refurbed?

normally people say “Disney has it figured out”
But here’s my two things:
1. The okw extension was a disaster…so they kinda showed they don’t know
2. The direction of the wdw property isn’t heading towards securing long term commitments. For a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't buy into the view that DVC has any problems. Come 2042 Disney will regain full ownership of The Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas and Boulder Ridge. Old Key West will continue until 2057 and only Disney knows the percentage that is expiring in 2042 because the units they took back via ROFR are all extened upon their sales.

The reason I originally purchased was so we could spend a week every year. Since then we suffered from the most common disease DVC owner get, addonites and purchased points at Boardwalk, Grand Floridian and Copper Creek. We love it and now take 3 or 4 short trips, 4 night, along with our 9 night yearly trip. If it weren't for DVC we wouldn't have an annual pass, Platimum, and problably wouldn't visit more than once every 2 years. It is because of DVC that we go and spend as much as we do. We spend over $5,000 a year in dues and our passes and many times that on food and in the stores. DVC does not hurt Disney's bottom line it adds to it because of people like me. Plus the timeshare industry has hundreds of thousands of other owners of Orlando Timeshares that visit WDW every as Orlando is the Timeshare Capital of the World.
So you’re a Disney sycophant so therefore there’s nothing possibly wrong with model and their management?

got it…the prosecution rests

rreading

doze them? Concert them? Try to resell old things refurbed?

2. The direction of the wdw property isn’t heading towards securing long term commitments. For a variety of reasons.
I don’t disagree with your two points. However,

1. the price of DVC points has risen dramatically over the last 30 years. I wonder how much (if?) they’ve outpaced inflation.

2. Nostalgia for a place tends to improve with time. The Contemporary has been far more compelling to me over time (notwithstanding the easily corrected Incredibles takeover), and I certainly expect WL/Beach Club/BW/AK to resell their points at a premium. If OKW or SSR gets an overhaul (or bulldozer) they probably won’t lose any sleep over it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t disagree with your two points. However,

1. the price of DVC points has risen dramatically over the last 30 years. I wonder how much (if?) they’ve outpaced inflation.

2. Nostalgia for a place tends to improve with time. The Contemporary has been far more compelling to me over time (notwithstanding the easily corrected Incredibles takeover), and I certainly expect WL/Beach Club/BW/AK to resell their points at a premium. If OKW or SSR gets an overhaul (or bulldozer) they probably won’t lose any sleep over it.
1. A lot. The backbone of DVC bought when it was good value. It no longer is.
2. The Bobs are eroding that nostalgia…so the outlook for that carrying new construction or resells is not promising as of now

rreading

1. A lot. The backbone of DVC bought when it was good value. It no longer is.
2. The Bobs are eroding that nostalgia…so the outlook for that carrying new construction or resells is not promising as of now

1. I don't disagree, but the contracts continue to sell and they continue to create more of them...so they're probably going to be thrilled to have a new influx of inventory. People (amazingly) continue to perceive them to be a value. Flip side is the absurd cost of a deluxe room. Relative to that, DVC may still be a bargain.

2. Nostalgia is tricky. To a large extent, we make our own nostalgia (especially with families). Sure - pirates is not the same but there are so many things which are. To me, the boats and the monorail and the people mover are some of my favorites - which is good longer term since I can continue to enjoy them as I get older. It's possible for me to get totally turned off but they did get rid of the DJ at the train station pretty quickly and I do have optimism about things moving forward. 🤷‍♂️

fgmnt

doze them? Convert them? Try to resell old things refurbed?

When our family's lease is up at BCV in 2042, I know we won't be looking to sign up for a new one anytime soon. Parents loved it, my sister and I could afford it, but man, I can't see it being a value unless they're gonna sell the contract for the 2003(4? been a while) price not adjusted for inflation. What the heck are you buying? It's not your condo for 365 days a year, it's not a house. They made it less of an investment property (though we never treated it as such). The original asset will have been fully depreciated off the books but the wild maintenance fees have kept BCV at least looking alright.
Coming up fast. We looked into it and that was the thing that made it a no for us. Is Chapek trying to sell the parks like Iger tried a few years back??
It's not really possible to sell the parks as is. Such a buyer that could secure the capital/take on the debt, maintain operational solvency, and deliver on standards with handling what would become a TWDC IP licensing agreement frankly doesn't exist. The company could never really be divorced from the parks domestically because of how ingrained their intellectual property is with the public. Six Flags Magic Kingdom making a bad ride with TWDC characters on it is bad for TWDC. I believe this was the conclusion reached when a sale was allegedly mulled some years ago.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
When our family's lease is up at BCV in 2042, I know we won't be looking to sign up for a new one anytime soon. Parents loved it, my sister and I could afford it, but man, I can't see it being a value unless they're gonna sell the contract for the 2003(4? been a while) price not adjusted for inflation. What the heck are you buying? It's not your condo for 365 days a year, it's not a house. They made it less of an investment property (though we never treated it as such). The original asset will have been fully depreciated off the books but the wild maintenance fees have kept BCV at least looking alright.

It's not really possible to sell the parks as is. Such a buyer that could secure the capital/take on the debt, maintain operational solvency, and deliver on standards with handling what would become a TWDC IP licensing agreement frankly doesn't exist. The company could never really be divorced from the parks domestically because of how ingrained their intellectual property is with the public. Six Flags Magic Kingdom making a bad ride with TWDC characters on it is bad for TWDC. I believe this was the conclusion reached when a sale was allegedly mulled some years ago.

Bob says - “Hold my craft beer…” 😉 He hasn’t met a bad idea he didn’t at least entertain. Look at WSL. 🤦‍♂️

ToTBellHop

Okay, so I’m (obviously) very important. The Mickey scanners can’t even decide whether to highlight the fact that I’m a DVC member or AP holder. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

What would it take to get D’Amaro as a new CEO? Like, who do I email?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Okay, so I’m (obviously) very important. The Mickey scanners can’t even decide whether to highlight the fact that I’m a DVC member or AP holder. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

He's just a face. No better no worse. Hasn't proved himself in my book. His claim to fame thus far is just having the ability to strike a pose and look the most normal amongst other suits. Definitely the most personable. Has "some" CM support but secretly... they're still the little people. His business acumen hasn't been tested yet. Besides everyone knows that P. Rice dude is being groomed for replacement.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

Operationally, D'Amaro has overseen the Parks' implementation of these bad ideas. I get he gives people warm and fuzzies when he high fives CMs, but why does he get such a pass for these things directly under his control?

And given Disney's focus and pivot to prioritizing D+, what makes you think its next CEO isn't going to have more a more substantive streaming/media background? Eisner and Iger came up through the media/TV/studio world.

castlecake2.0

Operationally, D'Amaro has overseen the Parks' implementation of these bad ideas. I get he gives people warm and fuzzies when he high fives CMs, but why does he get such a pass for these things directly under his control?

And given Disney's focus and pivot to prioritizing D+, what makes you think its next CEO isn't going to have more a more substantive streaming/media background? Eisner and Iger came up through the media/TV/studio world.
I really think people need to wake up and realize Damaro is just as bad as Chapek

Ayla

The guy who just raised prices across the board at DLR, including parking at the resort hotels to $35 a night? No thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom