Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Patcheslee

If you have a family that fits the certain age group (12-18) I can't recommend doing a summer trip to Cedar Point enough, at least once. Completely different change of pace from the swamp in every way. They manage to make the food worse but that and the obvious fundamental difference in the institution of themed entertainment between the two. Stay in the Breakers if you can swing it.
Are they doing better staffing wise now? Last year was a disaster

Jrb1979

If you have a family that fits the certain age group (12-18) I can't recommend doing a summer trip to Cedar Point enough, at least once. Completely different change of pace from the swamp in every way. They manage to make the food worse but that and the obvious fundamental difference in the institution of themed entertainment between the two. Stay in the Breakers if you can swing it.
Disagree on the food aspect. If all you do is quick service then yeah it is a bit of a let down. The table service has always been good.

mightynine

It does have be an either of proposition. If you hate what it's become why continue to support it? My guess is you're addicted to the pixie dust and can't stay away.
What the parks offer in terms of attractions and experiences is still fun for me, along with the time it gives me with the people I’m with when I go. The last couple of years that’s been with my mother, since she fell in love with the place after it opened, but would never go by herself.

The company’s decisions of rising prices, nickel and dimeing, and adding layer upon layer not to benefit you as a customer but their bottom line is making it harder and harder each year though.

I have one visit planned for the week after Thanksgiving that will now be a solo trip - my first ever - and then my girlfriend and I are looking at possibly going for Flower and Garden next year as a final use of our annuals and then I don’t see myself going again anytime soon.

LittleMerman

Am I the only one excited to use Genie+? Initially I was annoyed that "FastPasses" would cost money AND there would be additional a la carte prices. However, after understanding how it works more (it's not as complicated as it first seemed), I'm excited to try it. Other than the cost, it seems like a major upgrade from FP+. Something I didn't love about going to WDW was having to plan so much in advance to maximize your trip. Now, we no longer have to pick our rides in too far ahead - we can be more spontaneous with our selections which gives us more flexibility and leisure. And we are guaranteed a turn on the most popular rides if we pay (unless they break down but that's not a new issue), which aren't as expensive as I originally thought they would be and there are only two a la cartes per park anyway. I thought there were going to be 3-5 per park, like the FP+ tiers.

I used MaxPass at Disneyland and absolutely loved it. It was way better than FP or FP+ so I didn't mind paying for it at all. It was so convenient. And when you compare, WDW's Orlando competitors (Universal and SeaWorld) are charging far more for their version of FP. I'm happy to pay the money for the convenience, ease, and the (mostly) guaranteed rides on the stand-out attractions. Beats setting clocks and alarms to get in a virtual queue within two seconds or waiting in hours-long lines.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

What the parks offer in terms of attractions and experiences is still fun for me, along with the time it gives me with the people I’m with when I go. The last couple of years that’s been with my mother, since she fell in love with the place after it opened, but would never go by herself.

The company’s decisions of rising prices, nickel and dimeing, and adding layer upon layer not to benefit you as a customer but their bottom line is making it harder and harder each year though.

I have one visit planned for the week after Thanksgiving that will now be a solo trip - my first ever - and then my girlfriend and I are looking at possibly going for Flower and Garden next year as a final use of our annuals and then I don’t see myself going again anytime soon.
It's why it's hard for me to understand the emotional attachment. I don't have that family attachment that a lot of you have for Disney either. The only thing in my life I can equate it to is how much I was blown away my first time visiting Cedar Point. Seeing that skyline of those massive steel coasters I was in awe.

MMRR up $2 today to $10
Frozen and Remy each up $2 to $11
7DMT up $2 to $12
SM up $2 to $9

Everest still at $7 o_O not even a weekend can justify more lol
They did say that would happen.

Jeff4272

Resale price predictions are roughly as accurate as a blindfolded dart throw, but in your case I wouldn't sell either. At worst if you rode this thing for 10 more years you at least broke even based on what you paid.
lol......Im up A LOT

I know you're just upset at yourself for missing out but its ok, maybe next time!

LSLS

Not so obvious anymore. The entertainment this summer/Halloween has been way ahead of what I remember.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m behind on reading (skimmed and learned once again I’m not an adult 🙄). Anyway, I did get up at 7 and chose the perfect 10:45 time for Rise, went through the entire purchase process which included getting a code and billing credit card, then got a “sorry something went wrong try again.” Now I have a not so great 2:50 for Rise with SDD at 6:30 (that one is perfect). Heading to HS after breakfast to see how it goes.

pdude81

lol......Im up A LOT

I know you're just upset at yourself for missing out but its ok, maybe next time!
Not exactly. I have an Animal Kingdom contract I bought in the 80s (dollars not decade) and I was mad at the time it was that expensive. My point is that the market for DVC goes up and down wildly, and even if it was worth almost nothing in ten years you'd get enough use out of it to cover the low purchase cost.

And in the last ten years, everybody is up a lot.

Disstevefan1

I’m behind on reading (skimmed and learned once again I’m not an adult 🙄). Anyway, I did get up at 7 and chose the perfect 10:45 time for Rise, went through the entire purchase process which included getting a code and billing credit card, then got a “sorry something went wrong try again.” Now I have a not so great 2:50 for Rise with SDD at 6:30 (that one is perfect). Heading to HS after breakfast to see how it goes.
You are not alone. Folks are experiencing similar stuff going wrong. Thanks Disney.

matt9112

You guys keep saying that but you guys still keep going back. Look at those who first said they hate Genie+ and not going to buy it. Now all of a sudden they are trying to figure out how to get the best use of it. If you want to make a statement it's got to come from the hardcores and their word of mouth.

I haven't been in 2 years....used to go every weekend. When the new AP program rolled out i laughed...and went to uni.

matt9112

I don't consider Universal crap at all. It just doesn't do it for me the way Disney does.

Oh, and Mine Train is great fun—can't wait to ride it again!

Mine train is fun and provides a good ride but its "amazing tech" is utter crap (the swinging barely occurs) it also takes up alot more land than a ride of its capacity deserves when you consider modern crowd levels. My two cents.

Anyone will have fun riding it.
Was it the best choice? No.

DisneyCane

Mine train is fun and provides a good ride but its "amazing tech" is utter crap (the swinging barely occurs) it also takes up alot more land than a ride of its capacity deserves when you consider modern crowd levels. My two cents.

Anyone will have fun riding it.
Was it the best choice? No.
I don't agree and think Snow White's Scary Adventure was more fun. I rode it as a walk on in the weeks after the COVID reopening. When I got off I told my wife that it isn't even worth a 5 minute wait.

It needs at least twice the show scenes and a couple more minutes of length to be worth any wait at all.

SDD is a much more fun kiddie coaster and worth waiting much longer for (although not the 60 minute+ that the line usually is). It's not even close in my opinion.

I would 100% skip SDMT if I was walking by and there was a 15 minute standby line. If I ever paid for it somebody better get me to a hospital ASAP because something is wrong with me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom