Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Virtual Toad

I’m not sure how that contradicts my point. You still gave Disney a fair bit of money—and perhaps more than I do during my short stays, which are always off-site.

Happy Anniversary, by the way!
Thank you! 😀It’s amazing how fast 25 years can pass.

We spent a little bit of money at least (thank you Disney Visa points!), but way less than we used to. APs, weekend trips, multiple week-long stays per year, and numerous trips to DL and DLP were the norm for us for many years. Our spending with the mouse has decreased dramatically since then, and the 2-night WL trip, our first on-property stay in almost three years, was a marked exception to the rule for us as we navigate a new reality. But as our time at WDW wanes, we know others are taking our place, and as long as Disney is doing its utmost to make them feel what we felt all those years, we’re totally okay with that. Magic is where you find it after all, and at the end of the day, we’re really thankful just to be here.

Jrb1979

I absolutely agree. People who think this way should vote with their wallets. If they believe Genie+ is a detriment, they shouldn’t buy it. When enough people agree and stop paying Disney, Disney will be forced to change. There’s no sense in telling other people what they should or shouldn’t pay for. Everyone makes their own decision and Disney responds accordingly.
The problem is there will never be a time when enough people vote with their wallet. Look at the amount of complaints about the price for Boo Bash. Yet most nights sold out.

Trauma

Could you explain the ways in which you have striven to be a more considerate guest than those you term “Disney Vacation Experts”? Do you deliberately refrain from using FP-style systems? What specifically have you done to promote a more equitable experience for everyone else?

I would welcome answers from others who feel the way you do.
I can’t answer for them, but did you read the post before your wrote the response?

LittleBuford

I know what some are trying to get at. By guests paying for there extra things like Genie+ and Boo Bash that's saying to Disney that it's ok to charge for things that used to be free. Or in the case of Boo Bash charge more for a lesser event. Same could be said about the extra entertainment, people are still going without that so Disney says why bring it back.
I suppose I understand, but then where does that leave someone like me who goes for only very short stays (two or three days at a time)? Although I splurge on a number of extras to make the most of my limited time, I’m giving Disney far less money overall than some of dissatisfied repeat visitors posting in this thread. I feel that people are trying to have their cake and eat it too by minimising their own part in funding—and thus enabling—Disney. At least I’m happy with what I’m paying for.

Trauma

So what do we do if we want to visit during a time when there is not adequate capacity?
Well I know what I’m going to do.

I’m going to pay more to make my experience more enjoyable.

Does that make the experience “worse” for someone else? Sure.

Do I care ? Nope.

That’s Disney’s problem to solve not mine.

If the costs get out of control , I’ll stop going and someone else in the horde of “unprecedented demand” can take my place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Aren’t the dollars you give to Disney also contributing to the problem as you see it? If not, why not?
You know my spending history and how its changed ? Did you see me post somewhere where i was buying in conflict with my concerns? But even still it doesn’t matter… because again you miss the point the discussion isn’t about one individual’s choices. But a discussion around the business, operations and customers (plural… not ones in isolation)

LittleBuford

Thank you! 😀It’s amazing how fast 25 years can pass.

We spent a little bit of money at least (thank you Disney Visa points!), but way less than we used to. APs, weekend trips, multiple week-long stays per year, and numerous trips to DL and DLP were the norm for us for many years. Our spending with the mouse has decreased dramatically since then, and the 2-night WL trip, our first on-property stay in almost three years, was a marked exception to the rule for us as we navigate a new reality. But as our time at WDW wanes, we know others are taking our place, and as long as Disney is doing its utmost to make them feel what we felt all those years, we’re totally okay with that. Magic is where you find it after all, and at the end of the day, we’re really thankful just to be here.
That’s a very positive attitude, and nothing I can disagree with. I hope WDW is able to provide you with that same sense of magic again one day.

Animaniac93-98

So what do we do if we want to visit during a time when there is not adequate capacity?

Disney reduces staffing on days of anticipated lower attendance. This leads to issues with capacity even on those days. The most obvious example being empty cash registers at shops and restaurants.

Again, whether or not you notice or care, your vacation experience is being impacted by these higher level decisions. That's why the rest of us are having this conversation.

lazyboy97o

You can express concern with the capacity. The whole reason Disney dropped in TRON and Ratatouille and finally realized FastPass+ really wasn’t working as intended and had to be scrapped is because people continued to be dissatisfied by crowding. It won’t address that big structural issues that make really adding capacity so difficult, but it’s a start.

LittleBuford

You know my spending history and how its changed ? Did you see me post somewhere where i was buying in conflict with my concerns? But even still it doesn’t matter… because again you miss the point the discussion isn’t about one individual’s choices. But a discussion around the business, operations and customers (plural… not ones in isolation)
If you continue to spend time and money at Disney (and if I recall your posting history correctly, you do), you are still giving the company your financial support. How are your dollars less of an issue than mine? In what specific ways do you try to be more considerate of “operations and customers” (plural) than you perceive me as being?

Trauma

Look I’m just an idiot, but I think that some people are arguing from the viewpoint of their personal experience, while others are trying to discuss the overarching meta narrative?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with your logic, but I can’t recall a single instance in which it was claimed that the parks felt less crowded after the opening of something new, whether an attraction or a land. Can you think of any such cases?

you don’t remember when people talked about the rest of animal kingdom being while pandora was booming?

or how everest waits were lower due to rivers of light shows occupying people?

or how fireworks and f! Change dhs wait times?
Or the flex theater at dhs?

What about toy story land?
Did you think New fantasy land made the rest of magic kingdom experience worse?

LittleBuford

Your response has nothing to do with their post.
I was asking him to provide a meaningful alternative to the scenario he was complaining about. It’s all well and good berating others for their supposed thoughtlessness, but none of the moralisers has so far demonstrated how their Disney dollars aren’t contributing to the problems they’re describing.

Casper Gutman

Now we're seeing a variation of an argument that pops up a lot on these boards, "How can you justify criticizing WDW if you still give them money?" It's the flip side of its counterpart, "How can you criticize WDW if you never go?" Both are ways to try and dismiss criticism.

I have dramatically curtailed my visits to WDW - I used to go about three times a year, for the last 15 years or so I've gone about once every three years, usually visiting only one or two parks for a day each. I used to stay at WDW resorts - I've stayed at every one built before 2010 except Saratoga - but I haven't stayed on property in over a decade. I stay at Universal, and spend many, many times more money and time there.

Over the last months I've spent more time at WDW parks then I have in well over a decade. I felt a little bit bad paying the absurd prices for a diminished product - no trams, less entertainment - but the lure of SWL, the 50th, nostalgia, the 90s-era crowds, and the lack of a line-skipping program seduced me. I knew I was encouraging some bad behavior in a miniscule way with my ticket purchase, but I decided to be a hypocrite. I did not, of course, go to Boo Bash, which was past a line I wouldn't cross, no matter how much I enjoyed the old parties.

Now, I hope that's enough background to allow me to have opinions on a WDW message board without being attacked. I have never, to the best of my recollection, suggested people not go to WDW, nor do I do so now. I would suggest people honestly and critically examine the cost and value and look at WDW's actions over a long timespan, and I have suggested that alternative theme parks are available. I have also suggested that Boo Bash and other AH events are so egregious it is unwise to encourage them. I don't feel that's an offensive statement.

Posters need to stop making this personal. Its a way to shut down debate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you continue to spend time and money at Disney (and if I recall your posting history correctly, you do), you are still giving the company your money. How are your dollars less of an issue than mine? In what specific ways do you try to be more considerate of “operations and customers” (plural) than you perceive me as being?
I just can’t anymore.

LittleBuford

you don’t remember when people talked about the rest of animal kingdom being while pandora was booming?

or how everest waits were lower due to rivers of light shows occupying people?

or how fireworks and f! Change dhs wait times?
Or the flex theater at dhs?

What about toy story land?
Did you think New fantasy land made the rest of magic kingdom experience worse?
I don’t recall anyone saying that overall crowd levels at WDW felt better or more manageable with those openings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom