News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Here's my take. I'm not going to try to convince you that you need to wear a mask to avoid a breakthrough infection, given your vaccination status. You're right, your risk is very low. And even if you are infected, it will almost certainly be mild. So I agree with you, that's not a good argument. In fact, before Delta I would probably have agreed with you a lot more than disagreed.

The core reasons for me that mask mandates are still necessary for now have to do with three facts:

* Vaccinated people who catch COVID can still spread it, although at a much lower rate than unvaccinated.

* There's a sizeable segment of the population who still cannot be vaccinated - kids. And yes, kids aren't as impacted by COVID as adults, but because Delta is so transmissible, a large number of kids are ending up hospitalized - so much so that some pediatric hospitals in the south have been overwhelmed and not able to support non-COVID pediatric needs.

* The level of vaccination is sufficiently low that there's the potential for breeding of variants that could potentially break through the vaccines. Now, the obvious solution would be to require vaccinations in public places, but since that's been ruled out legally, mask mandates are all that remain.

Of these I personally see #2 as the most compelling. Given the pediatric hospital situation with Delta in high community spread areas, wearing a mask seems prudent to help avoid that, until such a time as kids can be vaccinated.. 5-11 year olds should be able to in a matter of weeks, and 6 mos to 4 years by the end of 2021.

I'd still prefer a higher vaccination rate to end masking, but I don't know how realistic that is at this point. I could be persuaded to end the mask mandates once the pediatric hospital situation is under control and kids have an opportunity to be vaccinated - so we are talking probably another 3.5 months (assuming all kids are eligible by EOY and allowing a month to get them vaccinated if they want.)
Great points let me add this to the discussion.

• 6,047,371 total child COVID-19 cases reported, and children represented 16.3% (6,047,371/37,099,164) of all cases
  • Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.26% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths.

Could I make the case that what makes children safe is the mere fact that they are young? Can we not say that they are just as safe as any adult that is already vaccinated ?Children are in important developmental stages of their lives and masking limits that development.

Trauma

I wish people would get as upset about wearing pants as they do about wearing masks. There’s much less medical benefit to the practice and the debate and acts of public defiance would be much funnier.
Maybe they would if a large part of our non verbal communication was predicated on our groin or legs being visible.

We have entire circuits of our brain dedicated to interpreting facial expressions for a reason.

Casper Gutman

Maybe they would if a large part of our non verbal communication was predicated on our groin or legs being visible.

We have entire circuits of our brain dedicated to interpreting facial expressions for a reason.
I am sceptical that this is the main reason people constantly complain about masks - “I can’t see that CMs warm smile.” And facial expressions can still be determined behind a surgical map.

Trauma

I like to see people enjoying life, which is why I endorse mitigation practices during a deadly pandemic, even if they are a bit annoying or only help a little.
I agree, I fully endorse everyone getting vaccinated.

After successfully protecting themselves and others they can drop other less effective forms of mitigation and return to normal life.

mikejs78

Premium Member

• 6,047,371 total child COVID-19 cases reported, and children represented 16.3% (6,047,371/37,099,164) of all cases
  • Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.26% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths.

Could I make the case that what makes children safe is the mere fact that they are young? Can we not say that they are just as safe as any adult that is already vaccinated ?Children are in important developmental stages of their lives and masking limits that development.
Thankfully kids don't die as a whole from COVID. But when 94000 kids are hospitalized, the vast majority within the last 3 months, that's a problem.

DisneyHead123

I like to see people enjoying life, which is why I endorse mitigation practices during a deadly pandemic, even if they are a bit annoying or only help a little.
I am actually pro mask for myself - I have to wear one for work and still throw one on at the store because, whatever, it’s not a big deal to me. That said, I do have a hard time with mandatory mask requirements when people are allowed to wear cloth masks. Then it does seem like more of an exercise in “prevention theater”. If people really care that much about even a very small mitigation of threat then, by that logic, they should care a lot about type of mask. In my experience this is almost never the case - it’s more a false sense of security thing and the data doesn’t matter all that much.

Trauma

I am actually pro mask for myself - I have to wear one for work and still throw one on at the store because, whatever, it’s not a big deal to me. That said, I do have a hard time with mandatory mask requirements when people are allowed to wear cloth masks. Then it does seem like more of an exercise in “prevention theater”. If people really care that much about even a very small mitigation of threat then, by that logic, they should care a lot about type of mask. In my experience this is almost never the case - it’s more a false sense of security thing and the data doesn’t matter all that much.
The something is better than nothing argument makes no sense to me.

Let’s say I’m an at risk person or just someone who is still concerned about this virus.

I choose to only go to indoor public spaces that have a mask mandate.

Problem is who knows what the heck is actually happening when I get there.

Are the masks appropriate or being worn properly?

Its very difficult to make an appropriate risk assessment.

Is the risk less than if no one had a mask on at all?

Probably, but the risk level could still be much greater than you where expecting or comfortable with.

Without any indoor masks requirements people are very clear on what the risk level is and can choose to proceed as they see fit.

Incomudro

I am sceptical that this is the main reason people constantly complain about masks - “I can’t see that CMs warm smile.” And facial expressions can still be determined behind a surgical map.
I have a big problem with it, but that's dwarfed by what it's doing to YEARS of childhood development as well as adolescent socialization.
I find it disgusting.

Casper Gutman

I have a big problem with it, but that's dwarfed by what it's doing to YEARS of childhood development as well as adolescent socialization.
I find it disgusting.
I know nothing about child development, so please take these words as the product of ignorance, but I’d be shocked if, looking back in 30 years or so, we don’t see that the return of communicable disease as a major part of daily life for the first time in generations, the increased imminence of mortality, and the poisonously confrontational political environment don’t shape children more then the need to wear a surgical mask to help protect other people.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Source?

celluloid

There is no evidence of that at all. Particularly because that sort of social development comes from within the home where those parents would not likely be masked up.

I am not an expert on many things and I do not know many experts, but my wife an expert in child development and this excuse that seeing people commonly in masks hinders their development has no backing. Even if it did we would not be seeing it for awhile.

She wishes people would focus much more on the tension and trauma they cause children with speaking harshly and other common traumatic situations in their development.

At worst it is more difficult for those that already struggle with social cues to get tone. We all get a taste of that now when we have to pay a little more attention when someone is masked. The Deaf and Hard of Hearing rely on more facial expression as they do not have tone but it is not a deal breaker.

Children in cancer wards that were young and grow up most of their lives with their parents and doctors commonly masked up show no signs of social or developmental struggle.

Trauma

There is no evidence of that at all. Particularly because that sort of social development comes from within the home where those parents would not likely be masked up.

I am not an expert on many things and I do not know many experts, but my wife an expert in child development and this excuse that seeing people commonly in masks hinders their development has no backing. Even if it did we would not be seeing it for awhile.

She wishes people would focus much more on the tension and trauma they cause children with speaking harshly and other common traumatic situations in their development.

At worst it is more difficult for those that already struggle with social cues to get tone. We all get a taste of that now when we have to pay a little more attention when someone is masked. The Deaf and Hard of Hearing rely on more facial expression as they do not have tone but it is not a deal breaker.

Children in cancer wards that were young and grow up most of their lives with their parents and doctors commonly masked up show no signs of social or developmental struggle.
This discussion will go far off the rails if we go down this path.

Let me leave it with this, what you have posted here is not wrong. It also is not even close to the encompassing the entirety of the situation.

We won’t have any insight into any long term negative consequences for children for a few years or longer.

celluloid

Let me leave it with this, what you have posted here is not wrong. It also is not even close to the encompassing the entirety of the situation.

We won’t have any insight into any long term negative consequences for children for a few years or longer.

If you can admit that, than maybe you could refrain some making such claims that it is fact as such what was bolded in your quote above. It will help the topic stay on topic rather than interjecting what could happen as if it was.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member

If you can admit that, than maybe you could refrain some making such claims that it is fact as such what was bolded in your quote above. It will help the topic stay on topic rather than interjecting what could happen as if it was.
Let's also add that we don't know what the long term physical effects of COVID are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom