News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Rich Brownn

That's already established at Universal, though. No one expects their parks to have hidden rides for the most part because they've had huge, unhidden coasters for a long time and have generally not been into fully theming areas from top to bottom. I think some people would complain if there was a huge coaster overhead at Diagon Alley, because that's a heavily themed area and the coaster would detract from the theming.

I personally think Velocicoaster is a bit of a disaster -- the JP area was probably the second best in the park outside of the two HP ones and Velocicoaster really detracts from it.

People have different expectations for Disney than they do for Universal. Of course there are people who couldn't care less about (or would even welcome) Disney building huge, unhidden coasters, but there are also a lot more people who would be upset about it than there are at Universal.
Velocicoaster is the most meta themed of any coaster. It's theme is it's ... a coaster! In the Raptor Paddock (the pre-show even makes fun of that concept with Owen basically saying oh, what could go wrong>)

UNCgolf

Velocicoaster is the most meta themed of any coaster. It's theme is it's ... a coaster! In the Raptor Paddock (the pre-show even makes fun of that concept with Owen basically saying oh, what could go wrong>)

It works in the context of Jurassic World -- I don't think it really works in the context of Jurassic Park. I suppose they'll eventually overhaul the whole area to Jurassic World, though, if they haven't already. I'll still dislike it in general because I don't like having coasters overhead in a theme park.

That's also essentially the theme of Slinky Dog Dash. It's a toy coaster built by Andy in his backyard! It doesn't work quite as well there though because it doesn't really explain why Slinky Dog is the ride vehicle or how that makes any sense.

No Name

its behind you and more than 900ft away , you have to turn around 100degrees from the direction you need to walk into the park to see it. try thinking like most of the people that go to the parks
View attachment 593526
You can very easily see it from the monorail, from across the lagoon, from the Skyliner, from the Riviera, etc. There’s no defending it, it’s incredibly visible from a ton of places inside and outside of the park.

tommyhawkins

Zach ne sais quoi.

You should tell Universal and Disney, who have both dug basements in recent years.
No, I said no one would dig down to shave 10 feet off of a 160-180ft Building, that is the definition of insanity, especially if it was to please a few Disney messageboard posters.

What basements have Universal dug in recent years? was I in a coma?

J4546

to dig this building down you would have to go 50-60 feet to make the building closer to being hidden. Its much more complicated than digging down and building the box though, and im sure that would have added 10s if not 100 million to the cost. Im ok with the building, Im glad its not themed cause that would just make it stand out more imo. Its not ideal, but if the ride lives up to the hype im fine with it

tommyhawkins

You can very easily see it from the monorail, from across the lagoon, from the Skyliner, from the Riviera, etc. There’s no defending it, it’s incredibly visible from a ton of places inside and outside of the park.

Im not sure making it clear that nobody cares about it as much as a handful of Disney nerds or pointing out it is not "TOWERING OVER SSE" as the OP that I was responding to said. either you failed to read the context or chose to ignore it to make your point.

To reiterate what I have already been very clear repeatedly with my thoughts on it, anybody who listens to my podcast would know I would be the last to defend disney:

• Yes, the building is very large, and so is the Energy pavillion. I DO NOT CARE, because if I did I would have to start caring about all the other hypocritical things certain people ignore, like the giant monument to Michael Eisner's ego behind the France pavillion. I walk into a park and suspend disbelief anyway and focus on what WDI want me to look at, not what i read about on messageboards.
  • Epcot is very boring to anyone that doesn't have rose tinted childhood memories of going there in the 80s, I would like there to be more things to do other than spend money on food and alcohol. If Disney want to build a new ride,then good for them. I support that, then maybe they can build more in the other 3 parks too to match the number of people that has increase since the mid 90s.
  • SSE is the iconic weenie for the park, and Disney would have to be complete morons to decorate a very large building that is 900ft away, normal people really would notice it. The thing about Weenies is, especially when they have amazing lighting packages, is that people tend to focus on that and ignore most other things.
  • This ride literally would not have been built anywhere else on the resort, and physically could not have gone anywhere else in EPCOT despite some peoples insistence. Feel free to look up my tweets on this subject.
  • I am giving Disney the benefit of the doubt until the ride opens. I have lower expectations than most have on things like thrills on account of modelling the ride, but for Disney this will still be a game changer. But you all make the same points over and over again, still having never set foot on the ride. I do wonder if some of you enjoy complaining far more passionately than you enjoy theme parks.
  • lastly again, I do not care about a sky blue box, I have real things to care far more passionately about

No Name

Im not sure making it clear that nobody cares about it as much as a handful of Disney nerds or pointing out it is not "TOWERING OVER SSE" as the OP that I was responding to said. either you failed to read the context or chose to ignore it to make your point.

To reiterate what I have already been very clear repeatedly with my thoughts on it, anybody who listens to my podcast would know I would be the last to defend disney:

• Yes, the building is very large, and so is the Energy pavillion. I DO NOT CARE, because if I did I would have to start caring about all the other hypocritical things certain people ignore, like the giant monument to Michael Eisner's ego behind the France pavillion. I walk into a park and suspend disbelief anyway and focus on what WDI want me to look at, not what i read about on messageboards.
  • Epcot is very boring to anyone that doesn't have rose tinted childhood memories of going there in the 80s, I would like there to be more things to do other than spend money on food and alcohol. If Disney want to build a new ride,then good for them. I support that, then maybe they can build more in the other 3 parks too to match the number of people that has increase since the mid 90s.
  • SSE is the iconic weenie for the park, and Disney would have to be complete morons to decorate a very large building that is 900ft away, normal people really would notice it. The thing about Weenies is, especially when they have amazing lighting packages, is that people tend to focus on that and ignore most other things.
  • This ride literally would not have been built anywhere else on the resort, and physically could not have gone anywhere else in EPCOT despite some peoples insistence. Feel free to look up my tweets on this subject.
  • I am giving Disney the benefit of the doubt until the ride opens. I have lower expectations than most have on things like thrills on account of modelling the ride, but for Disney this will still be a game changer. But you all make the same points over and over again, still having never set foot on the ride. I do wonder if some of you enjoy complaining far more passionately than you enjoy theme parks.
  • lastly again, I do not care about a sky blue box, I have real things to care far more passionately about
Well that’s a lot of things that I could say a lot of things in reply to, but I’ll just say that ending with the fact that you have real things to care about is a particularly weak argument because of course nobody cares about this on a personal level.

And what’s the name of your podcast?

tommyhawkins

Well that’s a lot of things that I could say a lot of things in reply to, but I’ll just say that ending with the fact that you have real things to care about is a particularly weak argument because of course nobody cares about this on a personal level.
Im not sure caring about things such dropping security to even lower levels or the ever rising real term costs of going to the resort personal issues, but ok.

And what’s the name of your podcast?
enjoy the shows

Animaniac93-98

It works in the context of Jurassic World -- I don't think it really works in the context of Jurassic Park. I suppose they'll eventually overhaul the whole area to Jurassic World, though, if they haven't already.

They should because its so odd hearing "enjoy the rest of your day at Jurassic World" in one spot and then "enjoy the rest of your day in Jurassic Park" at some other exhibit next door in the same land. o_O

Vegas Disney Fan

See that’s a benefit of the theme. Have you ridden it, have you watched Jurassic World? Jurassic World is a dinosaur theme park, complete with theme park rides. As explained very well and humorously in the queue cooperate has decided to build a roller coaster in the raptor paddock (much to the chagrin of raptor whisperer Owen Grady) to give the guests a new thrill. The trains are equipped with safety equipment (Sonic emitters that the raptors can hear and makes them avoid you, you cant.).

It’s actually very logical, much like California Screaming/Incridicoaster at DCA. You’re better off complaining by using the Flying Hippogriff or the Incredible Hulk.
Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama created a theme for its’ coasters too but that didn’t make them look less bad. I don’t mind that Uni gets away with some less themed areas, they get the best bang for their buck that way, I just find it ironic people say Uni does theming better than Disney while also vilifying Disney for anything that’s not themed while excusing Unis lack of theming “because they’re Uni”.

I haven’t ridden Velocicoaster yet, watched some videos, but it looks very fun and is on my to do list, I haven’t done Hagrids either, I need to take a longer trip with a day or two for Universal one of these days but I’ve only managed one WDW trip since 2018 (second in a few weeks 🎉) so those trips are spent 100% at Disney.

tommyhawkins

Bourne Stuntacular and Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure would be the two most recent.
Bourne Extended the buiilding laterally.

Hagrid's "basement" was just built into the grading which is much higher than the lagoon. Raptor paddock is 21ft higher than lagoon edge as an example. So in a similar way to VC Launch tunnel 2 was cut into the grading the drop building was too.

lazyboy97o

Bourne Extended the buiilding laterally.

Hagrid's "basement" was just built into the grading which is much higher than the lagoon. Raptor paddock is 21ft higher than lagoon edge as an example. So in a similar way to VC Launch tunnel 2 was cut into the grading the drop building was too.
Bourne dug out a new basement. Hagrid’s went down plenty and had all sorts of challenges regarding waterproofing.

tommyhawkins

Bourne dug out a new basement. Hagrid’s went down plenty and had all sorts of challenges regarding waterproofing.
it was 20ft below the soil line which, and as i just told you, the edge of the park is graded at least 20ft higher than the water line, they shot it out with concrete like a pool. it was well documented by Bio

the bourne building will also be on graded landed, im not really sure what point youre making

TalkingHead

"It's not a big deal."
"Average guests won't notice."
"This is too frivolous to care about."

Sums up 20 years of online Disney apologetics.

lazyboy97o

it was 20ft below the soil line which, and as i just told you, the edge of the park is graded at least 20ft higher than the water line, they shot it out with concrete like a pool. it was well documented by Bio

the bourne building will also be on graded landed, im not really sure what point youre making
The point is that the parks dig down, regardless of whatever excuses you try to concoct. The water line is not a constant and is something you need a geotechnical report to determine. The level of a nearby man made pond doesn’t tell you anything nor does the fact that a building pad was created mean anything.

celluloid

It is meta themed, but since Jurassic Park was always going to have ride and attractions as well as dinos, it makes sense that it would have an animal demonstration themed ride just as Busch Gardens Tampa does.

Now Disney's Incredicoaster....that dos the same thing and fails miserably.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I basically touched on it in my above post, but I don't think I'd call it a double standard as much as people expecting Disney to maintain their own standards

I think I have the solution...

Disney already doesn't act like its former self, so maybe the answer is to just stop pretending and own up to it. Take the UNI approaach of 'this is what we are now...'

So let's take the lead of the film studio.. and just drop Walt from everything :) just call it "Disney World+" and we can all embrace the new product free from any burdens of the past :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
What's odd is that this attraction has a ridiculous budget ($450 mil). We're all struggling to figure out how they get to that number without some massive exterior theming.

Didn't you notice the finish and polish of the interior of that gravity building? Looked like NASA assembly hanger... I bet they blew a hundred million on the structure and infrastructure itself.. just think of the kind of environmental and safety systems that space must have...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom