News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Disney Analyst

But I can assure you I do not work for Disney… unless you think this west coast 30 year old Canadian somehow got hired 😂 I joined this forum in 2005 when I was 16. Some people
on here know me quite well and can vouch that I am no PR shill.

I simply think it’s absurd to assert that Steve should have quit rather then take the challenge handed to him with this show.

I also don’t think Harmonious is a bad show… I actually thing it’s quite great. But I have publicly shared there are tweaks that could be made to help it be a bit more solid for more people.

Last edited by a moderator:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I propose the following tweak to improve Harm:

1633990222939.gif

jpinkc

Perhaps you are joking and I’m missing it…

But I can assure you I do not work for Disney… unless you think this west coast 30 year old Canadian somehow got hired 😂 I joined this forum in 2005 when I was 16. Some people
on here know me quite well and can vouch that I am no PR shill.

I simply think it’s absurd to assert that Steve should have quit rather then take the challenge handed to him with this show.

I also don’t think Harmonious is a bad show… I actually thing it’s quite great. But I have publicly shared there are tweaks that could be made to help it be a bit more solid for more people.
Ok how about some time in a dunking booth in world showcase :D I think they guy was maybe given a case of too many people wanting to use this tech for a water show and did the best with the directives he was given. Its such a mishmash that I cant believe the blame lays solely on one person. Someone above his paygrade had to approve it, and if anyone should be in hot water it should be the one who approved it or pushed it in its current direction. Disney was a Creative Giant at one time, but now its creativity by committee most of the time, the way I see it from the outside looking in.

aladdin2007

Ok how about some time in a dunking booth in world showcase :D I think they guy was maybe given a case of too many people wanting to use this tech for a water show and did the best with the directives he was given. Its such a mishmash that I cant believe the blame lays solely on one person. Someone above his paygrade had to approve it, and if anyone should be in hot water it should be the one who approved it or pushed it in its current direction. Disney was a Creative Giant at one time, but now its creativity by committee most of the time, the way I see it from the outside looking in.
sadly true and its ruining the parks and way too politically charged.

lazyboy97o

Okay so Steve, who is in a relatively high position in the company, with a long storied career, should just… say no to a project he is assigned… and essentially quit? Just because you don’t like the show?

I’ll try that at my work this week and let you know how that goes.

Do you hear yourself….
Then the problem is still Chapek and Iger who instituted the franchise mandate under which he had to operate. A good leader is open to the idea that their ideas aren’t the best. I’ve told bosses why something was a bad idea and explained my point and presented something better. Youre just defending a toxic environment where people are expected to be Yes Men and not actually creative.

ImperfectPixie

Then the problem is still Chapek and Iger who instituted the franchise mandate under which he had to operate. A good leader is open to the idea that their ideas aren’t the best. I’ve told bosses why something was a bad idea and explained my point and presented something better. Youre just defending a toxic environment where people are expected to be Yes Men and not actually creative.
I absolutely think the problem is them. If Chapek isn't the type that's aware of his own strengths and weaknesses, just approaching him about a flawed idea might be dangerously tricky.

Sir_Cliff

I don't think it is really surprising that the idea came from the top. We've seen this many times in the past. Whenever there is a large spend, it really has to have support from that level. You may not like the idea, but was it executed as well as it could have been?
I think this is being missed somewhat here. Sure, the idea isn't great but it was also badly executed. I don't think Steve Davison can completely wash his hands of that as it was a thankless but not impossible assignment with lots of bad choices. Unless, of course, we find out there was more meddling than just an idea from on high.

Chapek vs the world.

🍿
This is very curious to watch. There certainly seems some momentum gathering in the past few weeks. The real turning point seems to have been the flop that was the launch of the 50th celebration.

bcoachable

Those with integrity can and do that all the time. Artists decline projects all the time if there not going to fit that artists style or if it might damage there brand. I'm sure he is well off and well known, that a multitude of other projects would present themselves.

I'd go so far as to say, plan your life, so you don't have to work for a company you don't agree with.
But most folks would just throw there hands up and say, come on man... I got bills!
Company (and teams) culture can change as they evolve…

James Alucobond

I didn't see any defense of toxic work culture in the quoted post, though perhaps I'm missing something from earlier in the thread. It's possible (or perhaps probable, given some insider perspectives) that there is a toxic culture, but there's no indication that Davison wasn't allowed to have lively conversations with leadership about what type of show would be best or that he even disagreed with Chapek in the first place.

RobbinsDad

It’s not just about the IP shoehorn. Disney has proven they can use IP to tell an entertaining story. But like the rest of Chapek’s planned changes to Epcot, they are likely to be gorgeous and ultimately boring. They should just rename the place Pleasant-land. Nice to look at, but nothing to get excited about.

Since I mentioned it previously in this thread several times, on the topic of the center screen/Stargate reliability, I think I've watched 4 random livestreams from the past 6 days and it was fine, so maybe they have figured out whatever issues it was having

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom