News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

CJR

If they wanted to wait until a more permanent replacement were ready, they'd probably just leave this empty. Another good example is the Star Wars Launch Bay. This will be around a long time and any new additions/changes will happen elsewhere in the park.

I do think the fact they said Guardians is the "first" otherworld pavilion means that eventually, there could more more otherworld pavilions. I'd guess all of World Discover could eventually become "otherworld pavilions" if that is the long term vision.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'd guess all of World Discover could eventually become "otherworld pavilions" if that is the long term vision.
Agreed. Test Track seems so out of place over there right now. I was shocked that Tron never replaced Test Track, as that would have made so much sense. Then Chevrolet's sponsorship could have gone to Speedway or something, Idk.

DKampy

Agreed. Test Track seems so out of place over there right now. I was shocked that Tron never replaced Test Track, as that would have made so much sense. Then Chevrolet's sponsorship could have gone to Speedway or something, Idk.
Accept Test Track is perhaps the most popular ride in EPCOT….in fact most causal Disney World visitors I know it is their fav ride at WDW—-I don’t see it getting replaced

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Accept Test Track is perhaps the most popular ride in EPCOT….in fact most causal Disney World visitors I know it is their fav ride at WDW—-I don’t see it getting replaced
When I brought up Tron I was thinking more of an overlay of Test Track. Basically what they did with Test Track 2.0 but Tron themed lol.

I do not doubt it’s popularity. Although, I’d argue it’s so popular only because it is practically the only thrill ride at Epcot aside from M:S which isn’t great.

Mickeynerd17

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they're planting trees in front of the pathway to Play.

1633640866278.png

Do you think they'll shift the entrance walkway over, or are they trying to cover the building up? I think the former but interesting nevertheless.

DreamfinderGuy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they're planting trees in front of the pathway to Play.

View attachment 591825

Do you think they'll shift the entrance walkway over, or are they trying to cover the building up? I think the former but interesting nevertheless.
They're building a new ramp shifted over slightly to the right, but I have to say I find it incredibly funny the way that those trees are positioned with the old ramp yet to be removed.

Mickeynerd17

They're building a new ramp shifted over slightly to the right, but I have to say I find it incredibly funny the way that those trees are positioned with the old ramp yet to be removed.
Ah, I figured that's what they were doing.

I do find it strange though that even towards the Mission Space side of that pathway there's still a curb.

tomast

Play Pavilion will just become the DisneyQuest of the 2020's, but included with theme park admission now.

Cool at first, but dated in about...... 7 to 8 years. Maybe sooner.
I guess 5 years.
In tecnology time moves faster nowadays.
DisneyQuest was something new and original when it opens.
Play pavilion is unknown but I can imagine some interactive games that could be play in the Disney Play app.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If they wanted to wait until a more permanent replacement were ready, they'd probably just leave this empty. Another good example is the Star Wars Launch Bay. This will be around a long time and any new additions/changes will happen elsewhere in the park.

I do think the fact they said Guardians is the "first" otherworld pavilion means that eventually, there could more more otherworld pavilions. I'd guess all of World Discover could eventually become "otherworld pavilions" if that is the long term vision.

“Epcot will never be completed as long as there are Marvel properties not included in the Universal contract that we can exploit and shoehorn into the park.” - Walt Disney

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 591825

Here's what it used to be....

1633668135050.png

And here's a very recent aerial...
1633668285547.png

It looks like they could still keep the old configuration, or change it.

Don't forget that the walkway is uphill, and the switchbacks are to lessen the slope for wheelchairs, I believe.

SoFloMagic

Anyone else find it odd they announced guardians opens 2022, but no date for this yet? I wonder if the failure of the play app is making them question the pavilion based on it?

nickys

Premium Member
Anyone else find it odd they announced guardians opens 2022, but no date for this yet? I wonder if the failure of the play app is making them question the pavilion based on it?
I think they simply don’t know when it’ll open.

As others have said, they won’t want to open this until they feel it’s safe for small children to be touching everything in sight and generally doing what small kids do.

SoFloMagic

I think they simply don’t know when it’ll open.

As others have said, they won’t want to open this until they feel it’s safe for small children to be touching everything in sight and generally doing what small kids do.
Fair. Not a good look until after vaccine is available for 2+. I guess it makes sense to slow walk this one

Casper Gutman

Fair. Not a good look until after vaccine is available for 2+. I guess it makes sense to slow walk this one
I’m not sure that explanation works. We know now that the risk of catching Covid via touching things is minimal. The far greater risk is something like GotG, with multiple travel parties sitting in close proximity and screaming, even if masked (which they would be in Play as well).

SoFloMagic

I’m not sure that explanation works. We know now that the risk of catching Covid via touching things is minimal. The far greater risk is something like GotG, with multiple travel parties sitting in close proximity and screaming, even if masked (which they would be in Play as well).
Yeah, I meant the densely packed indoor space more. Isnt this a meet and greet and playground center? I'd think that could be worse than a 90 second ride on a coaster.

nickys

Premium Member
The risk for adults catching it through touching things may be minimal. Kids have a habit of touching things before & after sticking fingers in their mouths & noses, as well as other dubious practices. 😁 It just adds to the risk overall to them, in a place where the whole premise is to play and interact. Just seems like an added risk Disney won’t want to take right now.

Bocabear

I would be happy if they just cancelled Play! and put the money into Mary Poppins or a Coco Overlay for Mexico...Until a more creative team can be assembled to put something amazing (not place-holding) for that beautiful building.
It is hard to fathom that after 40 years EPCOT would have fewer attractions than 30 years ago and would begin tearing down buildings rather than fill them with fresh content...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom