News Disney KiteTails coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom October 1

MrPromey

You sound like you took the advice when someone told you to go fly one.

I live near beaches. We have kite festivals a few times a year. I've been at it a long time. I've got dozens of specialty 1, 2, and 4 line kites and one, maybe two that can lift an adult in strong wind if not anchored well so I know a little about this - both in terms of what they can/can't do and what happens to them with regular use.*

That's also why I'm thoroughly unimpressed by any of this.

Side note, I've always wanted to get the 30 foot version of this one from Martin Lester but I don't think in this day and age, people would find it funny. :(

*It is not lost on me, how much of a dork I'm revealing myself to be with all this.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I live near beaches. We have kite festivals a few times a year. I've been at it a long time. I've got dozens of specialty 1, 2, and 4 line kites and one, maybe two that can lift an adult in strong wind if not anchored well so I know a little about this - both in terms of what they can/can't do and what happens to them with regular use.

That's also why I'm thoroughly unimpressed by any of this.

Side note, I've always wanted to get the 30 foot version of this one from Martin Lester but I don't think in this day and age, people would find it funny. :(
So if they replace the sunset safari lights with huge fans they could ditch the jet skis?

MrPromey

I just love the idea that they're contemplating placing giant targets on the bleachers and smashing the characters into them. Adds an element of sport to the whole proceedings, as we the audience take bets amongst overselves and wait with bated breath to see whether they manage to hit the target with each of the characters.
I might actually wait in a 20 minute line to get a good seat for this.

MrPromey

I appreciate the ‘expert’ opinion. There was a time when Disney’s offerings would impress not only the general guest, but also the actual experts in whatever field applied.
I'd hardly call myself an expert but if business cards were still a thing, having some made up with the title of "expert kite flyer" would be grand.

That said, I was quietly exited for this (quietly because I don't like to tip the dork tell too quickly... even on a theme park fan forum*) because Disney has a history of work with kites as more minor elements of other shows so I was looking forward to what they did, here.

Seeing the preview where they showed them testing the Zazu it appeared to be a quad line parafoil (which means motion control in 4 directions) I thought this could be really interesting because they'd be able to directly control how high or low they were at any moment, move them sideways, stop them, etc.**

With a team of real experts and a few of these in the sky at once, there was the potential for something interesting since they could on a low, limited level, use them like puppets.

But it looks like Zazu is the only real giant one that's an actual kite and now it makes sense that he's the only one they really showed in the preview.

When the show director, Mark Renflow in that same video breathlessly said "If you've ever been to a kite festival and had the joy of seeing kites fly... colorful, the vibrancy. Now imagine that focused all on Disney characters. It's an opportunity to bring the magic of Disney storytelling and allow it to soar like never before." while waving his hands around I thought - this is going to be cool. (and by cool I meant to me - possibly not a general audince that isn't too impressed by kites)

Seeing what they ended up with makes me think Mark has never actually been to a kite festival... or seen much of Disney's previous experience with kites which, while not mind-blowing, was more entertaining than this ended up being.

Anyway, I don't think this one's too much of a loss. If people like watching things crash for a while, so be it. It'll be short lived, it'll be gone and the area won't look like it was ever there and as far as Disney producitons go, this definitely has to be a cheaper one so it's not like what we have to live with in a certain other park for the foreseeable future.

*I recognize that I like them more than most and nobody ever seems overly impressed by them when Disney does this sort of thing so I was expecting to like this but for it to not be that big of an overall hit.

**and gracefully land them. That wasn't even a thought because I never guessed they'd just crash them down in guest view.

Last edited:

mightynine

I just love the idea that they're contemplating placing giant targets on the bleachers and smashing the characters into them. Adds an element of sport to the whole proceedings, as we the audience take bets amongst overselves and wait with bated breath to see whether they manage to hit the target with each of the characters.
Finally, a reason to open the Play Disney app in the parks!

Po'Rich

I can't believe that they killed Rivers of Light only to bring this. Rivers of Light was not perfect, but I found it far more impressive than the kites.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
As long as none of the kites hit a...
The Kite-Eating Tree-3.jpg

We should be OK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom