News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Hollywood Reporter just made this article about Bob Chapek and Iger this morning.

Article's illustration
35fea_disney_illo_w.jpg

Article contains some very colorful language by an anonymous producer with business with Disney.

That is an amazing piece of art, they need to sell posters of that.

FantasiaMickey2000

My reading of the article makes me feel bad for Chapek. It reads to me like Iger never wanted him to take over and expected to be begged out of his retirement. When he wasn’t, he couldn’t let go of the company and still wanted to dominate. Chapek is in a position where no one respects him because it appears Iger doesn’t think he can lead the company and is actively undermining him with his continued heavy involvement. That leads to him having to make over reactive choices in order to try and make it clear who is in charge now. Just my two cents.

jaxonp

My reading of the article makes me feel bad for Chapek. It reads to me like Iger never wanted him to take over and expected to be begged out of his retirement. When he wasn’t, he couldn’t let go of the company and still wanted to dominate. Chapek is in a position where no one respects him because it appears Iger doesn’t think he can lead the company and is actively undermining him with his continued heavy involvement. That leads to him having to make over reactive choices in order to try and make it clear who is in charge now. Just my two cents.

Regardless of what anyone wants or how we all feel.

Iger >>>>>>>>>>>> Cheapek

If the choice is solely between the two of them then I know who I'm picking.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The whole transition mess is because Bob Iger wanted someone on his mold. Anybody who knows anything about business knows this ain't ****ing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Bob iger committed the failure of transition mistake much bigger than the guy before him…which Iger used his weasel skills at that time to get in there in the first place.

FantasiaMickey2000

Regardless of what anyone wants or how we all feel.

Iger >>>>>>>>>>>> Cheapek

If the choice is solely between the two of them then I know who I'm picking.
Maybe. Almost all the complaints I see are of things in which the directions were started under Iger. Massive price increases, cutting benefits, and jamming IP into the parks all started under Iger’s rein. I’m not necessarily defending Chapek here, I just have a lot lower of an opinion of Iger than most. No new US parks, choosing to re-theme lands instead of building new ones, jamming IP into MK nighttime spectacular and rides like Frozen, cutting benefits like free parking. I fail to see Iger being a great CEO for the domestic parks. Better than Eisner’s final years? Sure but I wouldn’t go much higher.

jaxonp

Maybe. Almost all the complaints I see are of things in which the directions were started under Iger. Massive price increases, cutting benefits, and jamming IP into the parks all started under Iger’s rein. I’m not necessarily defending Chapek here, I just have a lot lower of an opinion of Iger than most. No new US parks, choosing to re-theme lands instead of building new ones, jamming IP into MK nighttime spectacular and rides like Frozen, cutting benefits like free parking. I fail to see Iger being a great CEO for the domestic parks. Better than Eisner’s final years? Sure but I wouldn’t go much higher.

Can't say I disagree with that but what we were left with was a guy who's a more extreme version without any creative bones in his body.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The following part of the article demonstrates the lack of veracity of "insider information" of corporate intrigue as different camps spin a story for their desired ends...

Though no outsiders were present, chatter about Iger’s talk soon began to seep through Hollywood. His words were interpreted as a shot at Chapek. Though a 28-year Disney veteran who most recently had overseen the theme parks and resorts, Chapek was an outsider in Hollywood. Known for cutting costs and raising prices, he was regarded by many with distrust if not outright hostility. So the version of the board retreat that made the rounds had Iger showing up Chapek, who was said to have followed Iger’s remarks by declaring in blunt terms that, in fact, Disney was now a data-driven company. It sent a chill through Hollywood.
Sources who attended the meeting say Chapek did not make such a bald declaration. They say he was merely being himself: a numbers-oriented, bottom-line-focused businessman lacking creative experience and without Iger’s polish and flair. Nonetheless, the retreat anecdote dovetailed with a narrative that was already taking hold among Iger confidants: that he had lost faith in Chapek and that his speech before the board was “a final warning” that Disney was veering off course. And the idea of the wrong man at the helm of Disney stokes a lot of anxiety in an industry that has seen Fox and MGM swallowed up, WarnerMedia battered by AT&T and Paramount transforming into a shadow of itself.​

So... which version is correct? Very few people will retell this story recounting both sides of the story. They will tell the side that feeds their anger in the hopes of making one or both look bad, even though we don't know the true story.

Keep that in mind whenever anyone reads a 'Spirited' tale of corporate intrigue. Or remnants of a whispering campaign longing to create a effigy to burn of a film studio head who ruined their childhood's favorite franchise.

Kudos to the writer of this article who presented both sides.

EPCOT-O.G.

The following part of the article demonstrates the lack of veracity of "insider information" of corporate intrigue as different camps spin a story for their desired ends...

Though no outsiders were present, chatter about Iger’s talk soon began to seep through Hollywood. His words were interpreted as a shot at Chapek. Though a 28-year Disney veteran who most recently had overseen the theme parks and resorts, Chapek was an outsider in Hollywood. Known for cutting costs and raising prices, he was regarded by many with distrust if not outright hostility. So the version of the board retreat that made the rounds had Iger showing up Chapek, who was said to have followed Iger’s remarks by declaring in blunt terms that, in fact, Disney was now a data-driven company. It sent a chill through Hollywood.
Sources who attended the meeting say Chapek did not make such a bald declaration. They say he was merely being himself: a numbers-oriented, bottom-line-focused businessman lacking creative experience and without Iger’s polish and flair. Nonetheless, the retreat anecdote dovetailed with a narrative that was already taking hold among Iger confidants: that he had lost faith in Chapek and that his speech before the board was “a final warning” that Disney was veering off course. And the idea of the wrong man at the helm of Disney stokes a lot of anxiety in an industry that has seen Fox and MGM swallowed up, WarnerMedia battered by AT&T and Paramount transforming into a shadow of itself.​

So... which version is correct? Very few people will retell this story recounting both sides of the story. They will tell the side that feeds their anger in the hopes of making one or both look bad, even though we don't know the true story.

Keep that in mind whenever anyone reads a 'Spirited' tale of corporate intrigue. Or remnants of a whispering campaign longing to create a effigy to burn of a film studio head who ruined their childhood's favorite franchise.

Kudos to the writer of this article who presented both sides.
Iger was quoted directly throughout and Chapek refused to be quoted. That should tell you all you need to know as to who's fingerprints are all over this spin.

Did they give Zenia Mucha a byline?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1633543179903.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom