News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

wtyy21

Why does the MS projections seem terrible? Did they not use the same projectors that Disneyland has?
Idk, but the projector was installed by Walt Disney Creative Entertainment, which also doing Main street projection at DL, HKDL, and World Bazaar at TDL. Unfortunately, they didn't installed searchlights at MK's MSUSA.

ToTBellHop

I thought the projections looked pretty terrible at DL. They project characters on highly textured buildings as though they are projecting on a screen. I wasn’t impressed with that part and prefer projections that work with the architecture. Just me, though.

1633315103450.jpeg

vs.
1633315166394.jpeg

I find the latter more pleasing.

wtyy21

I thought the projections looked pretty terrible at DL. They project characters on highly textured buildings as though they are projecting on a screen. I wasn’t impressed with that part and prefer projections that work with the architecture. Just me, though.

View attachment 590931
vs.
View attachment 590932

I compare DL and MK Main street projections to those in HKDL and TDL (known as World Bazaar here)
images (4).jpeg
vs
images (3).jpeg

I think the projection looks more amazing at TDL's World Bazaar

Admiral01

Premium Member
The park is turning 50 years old and instead of celebrating adventureland, frontierland, et al. We get a clip show of Disney animation, also the clips projected onto the castle weren't even well animated reminds me of the Once Upon s Time projection in Tokyo without any through line to connect the various clips.

Like I have said if your PR can't even say if your new 50th entertainment is good or bad ... well you have a problem.

This is exactly it. WDW is turning 50, but they are celebrating using mostly generic Disney stuff. Movie scenes, music, even the park statues - many are just generic Disney and not specifically celebrating WDW and the incredibly unique world that Disney created in WDW.

It seems the larger and more diverse Disney gets, the less diverse the parks get. We’ve lost diversity in the parks as time has gone on. Claiming we need to change things to make them more “Disney” completely ignores that everything in these parks is completely Disney. POTC didn’t need Jack Sparrow to be considered a “Disneyified” attraction. But here we are.

It would have been nice if Disney had celebrated Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, Future World, World Showcase, the romanticized Hollywood of the 30s, the Miss Tilly, Harambe Village, Dinoland, Disney Marketplace, the advanced construction techniques of the original hotels, the vision of the Florida project, etc. If they had celebrated the uniqueness of WDW instead of just throwing some generic Disney movie scenes and songs together for their new nighttime “spectaculars” and the celebration in general, it would have been a draw. WDW is getting to be so derivative of their other media that it has lost its edge, it’s uniqueness, and it’s originality. And the company that brought it to life 50 years ago doesn’t seem to understand why it was a success in the first place and why people like me became so dedicated to WDW. Not dedicated to Disney movies, songs, D+, Mickey Mouse, etc - dedicated to WDW itself. My relationship with the corporation is through the theme parks.

wtyy21

This is exactly it. WDW is turning 50, but they are celebrating using mostly generic Disney stuff. Movie scenes, music, even the park statues - many are just generic Disney and not specifically celebrating WDW and the incredibly unique world that Disney created in WDW.

It seems the larger and more diverse Disney gets, the less diverse the parks get. We’ve lost diversity in the parks as time has gone on. Claiming we need to change things to make them more “Disney” completely ignores that everything in these parks is completely Disney. POTC didn’t need Jack Sparrow to be considered a “Disneyified” attraction. But here we are.

It would have been nice if Disney had celebrated Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, Future World, World Showcase, the romanticized Hollywood of the 30s, the Miss Tilly, Harambe Village, Dinoland, Disney Marketplace, the advanced construction techniques of the original hotels, the vision of the Florida project, etc. If they had celebrated the uniqueness of WDW instead of just throwing some generic Disney movie scenes and songs together for their new nighttime “spectaculars” and the celebration in general, it would have been a draw. WDW is getting to be so derivative of their other media that it has lost its edge, it’s uniqueness, and it’s originality. And the company that brought it to life 50 years ago doesn’t seem to understand why it was a success in the first place and why people like me became so dedicated to WDW. Not dedicated to Disney movies, songs, D+, Mickey Mouse, etc - dedicated to WDW itself. My relationship with the corporation is through the theme parks.

The show would be drawing more crowds if they also adding scene be fit to dedicated classic films that are tied to attractions.

wtyy21

I have a two question.
Since Castle dream lights didn't happen this christmas year and in 2022, what happens about Minnie's wonderful Christmastime fireworks? Do the projection will be altered?
What happens if due to popular demand, castle dream lights will gone forever by 2023 and replaced with Christmas-specific projection?

Vinnie Mac

View attachment 590931
vs.
View attachment 590932
I wanted to say this. Something about the projections on MSUSA in the Magic Kingdom seemed much more satisfying than the ones in Disneyland. I couldn't really tell why at first but now you've described the reason why.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Enchantment was never about the 50th though. That’s what my post above tried to piece together.

Tying into actual “50th nostalgia” wouldn’t have given it life past the celebration.

Indeed. Whatever the show is about, the show has to be good in and of itself.

Epcot Forever was about nostalgia, but the show was underwhelming.

If Enchantment is about the history of MK and WDW, then it will fail if the show isn't good.

If Enchantment is about the 'lands' of MK, then it will fail if the show isn't good.

If Enchantment is a clip show of Disney IPs, then it will fail if the show isn't good.

Although, it would be best if both the theme was presented with excellence as well as the show.

Sir_Cliff

Enchantment was never about the 50th though. That’s what my post above tried to piece together.

Tying into actual “50th nostalgia” wouldn’t have given it life past the celebration.
As others have said, it could have been framed around the park or at least included elements related to WDW history without being inherently tied to the celebration. RDCT lived on long after Disneyland's 50th.

On that note, Disneyland really is a lot better at presenting itself as an important place with its own history. They really do go all out to promote the idea that you're not just at any old theme park, you're at Disneyland and that's special because of its long and storied history. WDW management and the company generally seems to treat the resort in Florida more as disposable entertainment. Nothing underlines that more than a 50th celebration without so much as a small exhibit somewhere about the resort's history.

Even Disneyland Paris seems to have more of a sense of itself as something special than WDW. Look at how they have been recently working with people who restore historical monuments to restore their castle ahead of next year's anniversary. A little grander than EARidescent paint!

Last edited:

MrPromey

I'll give it more shots when we get some good video from the hub... but after the first watch... what a letdown and bore. I'd only watch again because I'm such a fan and I hope to find something to appreciate and hope something will start to stick.
I'm going to tell you the same thing my Dr. told me when he found the tumor on my back:

After a while, it'll grow on you. 👍

Rose&Crown

Remember... Dreams Come True would beg to differ.

Of all the mistakes of the 50th this was the most planned.
That last sentence is pretty scary. How was this show the plan? It lacks any sort of story, has no connection to the 50th….I just don’t get this at all. I get they covid most likely had an impact on things but besides the Epcot ball lighting package I think most of the 50th has been a swing and a miss.

TDLFan

If 99% of the product used is from HEA, (and done in a vastly inferior way), and there's no mention of WDW's 50th anniversary, then wth was the point of coming up with this show in the first place? I understand if they didn't want a show focused on the resort and wanted new IP to sell Disney plus, but my God, this is a phoned in dumpster fire. They really thought this show could anchor the MK's entertainment offerings for the foreseeable future?! Ugh!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If 99% of the product used is from HEA, (and done in a vastly inferior way), and there's no mention of WDW's 50th anniversary, then wth was the point of coming up with this show in the first place? I understand if they didn't want a show focused on the resort and wanted new IP to sell Disney plus, but my God, this is a phoned in dumpster fire. They really thought this show could anchor the MK's entertainment offerings for the foreseeable future?! Ugh!
Bob needing to put his stench stamp on the park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom