News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

PascagoulaRun

The first half felt very "made for TikTok" with the short sequences and awkward cuts. The second half, I thought had much better flow. But the big question is, why wait to add narrative until the last segment? I don't think most people will understand what's going on without some kind of overarching dialogue.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Unpopular opinion, it would seem, but I liked it. I preferred the music of ROE, but the visuals of this seem better. The use of IP does not seem haphazard in a flat-out "Disney's greatest hits" way, but actually fit a theme of finding your place in the world. And it showcases the way Disney has showcased the world in some of its films, like a World Showcase.

CaptainAmerica

And a 20 minute clip show that doesn't start until the park closes and actively makes World Showcase Lagoon hideous during the day fixes that somehow? I think it's time to put down the pixie dust pipe...
Pay attention sweetheart. I'm not making an artistic defense of the show. I'm saying "people like Iron Man more than they like Citizen Kane."

Father Robinson

Was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on at least trying to do something interesting within the IP mandate, but I don't think they really sold a message of global togetherness so much as Disney films.
Oh there's no doubt their concept got completely lost in the translation (no pun intended). I don't think there is a soul alive who - without prior knowledge of the shows intention - would ever realize that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
To be fair, it had advanced dementia and didn’t even know it was still running from 2014-on.

And it showed.

Its guest ratings in recent years weren’t spectacular.

RoE held on because it had great music and a great story, but it definately was showing its age technologically and the show lost some of its pop towards the end. I think those of us who loved the show so much from its early days held on due to nostalgia a bit (myself included)... It needed a replacement.

My take on Harmonious - I don't hate it like many others here, but I don't love it either. It does lack a bit of narrative and the parts just seem stitched together. You definately have to know what the story thread is for RoE and HEA, but once you know it it makes sense. Here, I'm not so sure (though I'd be willing to give it a second look). Then again, the early shows at Epcot were classical pieces set to fountains and low fireworks for the most part... RoE was really a game changer.

I suspect ratings for this will be good, not great. I bet it scores higher than RoE at the end of its run, but nowhere near where it scored at the beginning, and it may even score lower than Epcot Forever. My prediction is that it is retooled fairly soon, or replaced in a couple of years (maybe after the 50th) with a new show that uses the same hardware.

SweetDuffy101

Unpopular opinion I Love the show i Give it 8.7/10
the only criticism that i have
1) Lack of transition
2) Mis opportunity for other countries to represent there language
3) lack of naration
4)They could have added more mist fountains and fountains
5) Confusing from start to finish no opening dialogues
6) Where's the Every country will be presented?
I only saw and heard a few.
7) General guests will be confused on which ones the finale.

I get it its a beautiful shiny new show, I get what theyre trying to represent and the people behind the scenes gave it there all especially from the singers, technicians, musicians etc.

Its a great addition to the park, But on that note
I would love if they could tweak this show abit, To be more easy to grasp on regular one day guests or for first time visitors.

Kite tales on the other hand that was a choice.....
whoever greenlit that show was smoking something different, Thats a dumpster fire.

Disstevefan1

We watched it last night on the Disney Parks Blog.

It’s nice, with two or three good parts.

It did not wow me like the first time I did Sorin’ , FOP, Mission Space.

In fairness, I need to see it in person. But for now, it’s not a wow for me.

Castle Cake Apologist

Pay attention sweetheart. I'm not making an artistic defense of the show. I'm saying "people like Iron Man more than they like Citizen Kane."

Sadly, I certainly get that, but your point was that a nighttime spectacular was needed because there's nothing to do in the park. That doesn't make any sense, sweetheart.

1. Epcot already had a nighttime spectacular, and consistently has since at least 1988.
2. This literally doesn't add anything new to do, and doesn't start until the park closes.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
RoE held on because it had great music and a great story, but it definately was showing its age technologically and the show lost some of its pop towards the end. I think those of us who loved the show so much from its early days held on due to nostalgia a bit (myself included)... It needed a replacement.

My take on Harmonious - I don't hate it like many others here, but I don't love it either. It does lack a bit of narrative and the parts just seem stitched together. You definately have to know what the story thread is for RoE and HEA, but once you know it it makes sense. Here, I'm not so sure (though I'd be willing to give it a second look). Then again, the early shows at Epcot were classical pieces set to fountains and low fireworks for the most part... RoE was really a game changer.

I suspect ratings for this will be good, not great. I bet it scores higher than RoE at the end of its run, but nowhere near where it scored at the beginning, and it may even score lower than Epcot Forever. My prediction is that it is retooled fairly soon, or replaced in a couple of years (maybe after the 50th) with a new show that uses the same hardware.
What do we have to do to get them to abandon the hardware too?

floydbeatle

I still don’t really know how to feel about this show, however I will say it was better watching actual on the ground POV’s then the Disney stream definitely not what I expected to say.

The effects are really cool, and some of the scenes really stand out. I just really don’t know how to feel about it. As I said last night.
I couldn't agree more on the vloggers POV being better. I watched a vlogger after the livestream, and the pyro becomes much more impactful. However, the visuals become less impactful because of the view point, but I think in the end there is no substitute for seeing the show in-person. That being said the comments were funny at the end with guests saying things like: "Is that it?" and "Is it over" and "I think there's more...no wait...It's over..."

I think it's fair to say it's a wait and see, and maybe with time it will get better, but then again there was universal praise for the lighting of SSE, so I do think folks try to give credit when credit is due.

Thelazer

It's a letdown, it was hyped up, Disney promoted this thing as being reflective of the country's around world showcase.

We had folks in here, suggesting that depending on where you stood, you might even hear different dialog.
We had Zach going on and on about, Epcot this and Epcot that.
Some folks thought this was the 2nd coming of Epcot.

Instead we got a real mess of a show.

It never hits the high water mark set by other clip shows (HEA)
It never hits the high pyro mark set by other fireworks shows (ROE)
It never hits the high fountain mark set by other fountain shows (WOC)
It never hits the high special effects (lasers) set by other shows (not Disney based)

It's a let down, in every sense of the word.

I don't blame all the folks who worked on this, you all did an AMAZING JOB!!!
The tech is there, the barges are there, the audio sounds crisp, the torches got rehabbed.
Plenty of hours of testing, programming, fixing etc, went into this. Again, those crews deserve applause!

Yes, a lot of LOVE, SWEAT and TEARS went into this.. and sadly, those hard workers got ROBBED.
Robbed by a bad storyline (IE, there isn't one) and even worse pacing and execution.

We all know, where the blame here lies.. it's NOT on those "on the ground" folks who executed perfectly what they were told to do.
Sorry guys, your company let you down. Again. Mistake on the lake, Part 2.

Now the quick fix is this. Simply take existing ROE music and programming.
Slot it in onto this, add in new barges and elements. Call it a day.

montyz81

The unpopular opinion here is likely and unfortunately, less than 1% of the total population that will see the show. The key question is, did the crowds seem to love it? If so, then this show will sadly.... go on!

Thelazer

You tell me the first time you saw WOC, were the lagoon was empty and out of nowhere BAM, WOC hits in your face..
You tell me that wasn't impressive back in the day?

Let go one better, go to Vegas, go to the Bellagio, see there fountain show.
Tell me those fountains are not far and above way better than what this show presents us?

HUM - Never hits the high water mark set by any other show out there, I stand by that!

SirLink

The unpopular opinion here is likely and unfortunately, less than 1% of the total population that will see the show. The key question is, did the crowds seem to love it? If so, then this show will sadly.... go on!
Actually the key question is - who would pay to watch it on a fireworks cruise, who would want to do do a dining package and preffered viewing location and would they go and would they stay to watch it for a second time...

Father Robinson

It's a letdown, it was hyped up, Disney promoted this thing as being reflective of the country's around world showcase.

We had folks in here, suggesting that depending on where you stood, you might even hear different dialog.
We had Zach going on and on about, Epcot this and Epcot that.
Some folks thought this was the 2nd coming of Epcot.

Instead we got a real mess of a show.

It never hits the high water mark set by other clip shows (HEA)
It never hits the high pyro mark set by other fireworks shows (ROE)
It never hits the high fountain mark set by other fountain shows (WOC)
It never hits the high special effects (lasers) set by other shows (not Disney based)

It's a let down, in every sense of the word.

I don't blame all the folks who worked on this, you all did an AMAZING JOB!!!
The tech is there, the barges are there, the audio sounds crisp, the torches got rehabbed.
Plenty of hours of testing, programming, fixing etc, went into this. Again, those crews deserve applause!

Yes, a lot of LOVE, SWEAT and TEARS went into this.. and sadly, those hard workers got ROBBED.
Robbed by a bad storyline (IE, there isn't one) and even worse pacing and execution.

We all know, where the blame here lies.. it's NOT on those "on the ground" folks who executed perfectly what they were told to do.
Sorry guys, your company let you down. Again. Mistake on the lake, Part 2.

Now the quick fix is this. Simply take existing ROE music and programming.
Slot it in onto this, add in new barges and elements. Call it a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom