News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

DisAl

Spectacular to the point of being overdone, but as far as I am concerned they can scrap the whole thing and restore what used to be a great view of the World Showcase across the lagoon. Now in the daytime it looks more like Texas oil field, a large construction site, or a scrapyard.

dreday3

oh my.

I didn't watch, only reading here this morning. Either it's the most horrendous thing every done to man, or social media just really is soul-crushing. 😂

I'm sure my reaction will be, it's fine. Luckily nighttime fireworks shows aren't really my thing.
But I also know we will watch it one of the night there and I'm sure we will enjoy it.

(quoting myself)

Well I just watched it.
Yes - the music is not what you wanted for Epcot. ROE is my favorite soundtrack and it's gone. Well, I can listen to it everyday if I want, but gone from Epcot.

That said - I thought this show was quite beautiful! I've personally never seen anything like it.
It was sooo colorful, elegant movement, and joyful.
And I looooooved hearing Someday at the end.

And you really couldn't figure out which part was the finale? 🤔

I honestly don't understand the criticism of it looking bad, but hey, to each their own!

PoTCGuy

Can someone please explain the story the show is trying to tell? Asking for a friend.
I felt that way too. Except for the final sequence, the show title did not match the theme. To me, it was mostly disjointed Disney movie songs. Maybe I missed it, but they didn't seem to fit together to tell any kind of story that I could pick up. I thought the visuals were really bright and colorful, but each of the movie segments could have been standalone, like a stationary cavalcade.

Surferboy567

I still don’t really know how to feel about this show, however I will say it was better watching actual on the ground POV’s then the Disney stream definitely not what I expected to say.

The effects are really cool, and some of the scenes really stand out. I just really don’t know how to feel about it. As I said last night.

ToTBellHop

(quoting myself)

Well I just watched it.
Yes - the music is not what you wanted for Epcot. ROE is my favorite soundtrack and it's gone. Well, I can listen to it everyday if I want, but gone from Epcot.

That said - I thought this show was quite beautiful! I've personally never seen anything like it.
It was sooo colorful, elegant movement, and joyful.
And I looooooved hearing Someday at the end.

And you really couldn't figure out which part was the finale? 🤔

I honestly don't understand the criticism of it looking bad, but hey, to each their own!
Well, there’s a bit of an echo chamber here. Quick! Roll out another firework show to distract them!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
oh my.

I didn't watch, only reading here this morning. Either it's the most horrendous thing every done to man, or social media just really is soul-crushing. 😂

I'm sure my reaction will be, it's fine. Luckily nighttime fireworks shows aren't really my thing.
But I also know we will watch it one of the night there and I'm sure we will enjoy it.
A+ visual spectacle
D- soundtrack
D show direction

ULPO46

"Buy Moana merch .... buy Hercules merch .... buy our IP merch goddamit"

Its a clip show with random collection of animated IPs and songs in random collection of languages like Hercules song I would expect it to be sung in Greek but hey thats me.
Nothing es me off more than when I hear someone ask why Hercules isn't at the Italy Pavilion. Talk about culture misappropriation...

ToTBellHop

A+ visual spectacle
D- soundtrack
D show direction
The interesting thing here is that they could pretty easily fix it. But there’s an 18-month celebration so they can’t really take it offline since it’s a large part of the marketing campaign. Maybe some dialogue to explain the story? You know there is some sort of convoluted story that we missed. The Zach will enlighten us in a thrilling 16-part series.

dreday3

A+ visual spectacle
D- soundtrack
D show direction

I agree on soundtrack, but it's not like I hated the music, just doesn't feel like Epcot.

As far as direction...I have to be honest, I never knew what the heck was going on during Illuminations either. I know the story from reading it, but honestly to me it was just gorgeous music, lasers, fireworks, a globe on fire floated across a lake for a while while we got restless, then the buildings light up and more fireworks and a fantastic crescendo of music!

ToTBellHop

I agree on soundtrack, but it's not like I hated the music, just doesn't feel like Epcot.

As far as direction...I have to be honest, I never knew what the heck was going on during Illuminations either. I know the story from reading it, but honestly to me it was just gorgeous music, lasers, fireworks, a globe on fire floated across a lake for a while while we got restless, then the buildings light up and more fireworks and a fantastic crescendo of music!
Most people didn’t get the story. People want pretty fireworks shows, which I think this is.

lightningtap347

Maybe I'm (definitely) jaded, but I can't remember such an outwardly cynical product to this scale at WDW. This show seems to be the physical embodiment of "Screw you, you'll like anything we do."

Looks pretty! Not enough to make the lagoon look like an eyesore for 99.5% of the day.

The content is big and dumb, there's no story. This show treats the audience like they are idiots.

Soulless. Maybe it just doesn't lend itself to screen very well. Sorry to perpetuate the echo chamber of gloom, but I'm pretty disappointed.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Most people didn’t get the story. People want pretty fireworks shows, which I think this is.
I still don't get the story and I don't care to read it. But when I listen to the soundtrack, it can still make me cry.

Which, I think, is the point.

Amidala

Sometimes it blows my mind what downers people on here can be. And this coming from someone in a similar camp - haven’t seen Harmonious yet (I’m a local, hoping to get out to see it when it premieres) but trust the negative reviews from fans and am anticipating I’ll dislike it. But the claims that Harmonious was created on the cheap is just…patently untrue. This was a misfire, but not due to lack of funding or effort.

Every time the slightest change is made at the parks, Disney fans start yelling about how the magic is gone, they’re going to spend their money at Universal instead, TDO doesn’t care anymore, etc. on and on, as if Disney hasn’t made PLENTY of questionable additions to its parks over the years, under the supervision of various CEOs.

Again, I’m not saying we shouldn’t be critical of these additions; that’s why we’re all here. But sometimes y’all take it SO overboard with the dramatics it’s honestly kind of depressing to read and live in that headspace for hours at a time. People angrily saying they’ll spend their money at Universal in protest of Harmonious is especially funny to me, considering shows aren’t exactly their strong suit. Unless Squidward dabbing on the Spongebob float is your deal, and if so more power to you.

As someone who goes to the parks often, there are still plenty of small details (including recent additions) to derive joy from and find the magic in. And I don’t say this in defense of the company (which, again, I will continue to join everyone in criticizing) but at a certain point that constant negative outlook is going to kill your enjoyment more effectively than a subpar addition to the parks.

A little off topic, but man. I agree this show is a dud compared with ROE but it wouldn’t hurt to take a deep breath and chill out sometimes, that’s all I’m saying lol I’d just love to see some thoughtful criticisms without it needing to turn into doomsday prophecies every single time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom