News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Nmoody1

Oh dear!!

Who remembers when Illuminations 25 debuted and they changed it a few weeks after because it wasn't "Disney" enough..... can we get a reversal on that for the 50th?

EPCOT is such a unique place, it can tell a story without IP.... infact some of it just doesn't make sense at all here.... if you wanted to run with IP, make it relevant to the countries surrounding you.... unless we are getting a Greece pavilion for hercules to fit?

As I watched this show I thought it would be a great show for Lake Disney at DLP, or on the lake at Shanghai Disneyland. It would probably be a great end to the day outside of Hollywood Studios on the lake also. But it does not fit at EPCOT.

It doesn't tell a story, it doesn't conclude a day in the park in a way that says discovery, imagine or create. It doesn't instill an emotional feeling - its just a company reel of music and IP that doesn't need to be there.

I'm disappointed but I'm not surprised.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship; may you try and find joy from a different fireworks show, May you hope that things get better, May you tell your friends and family to save thier money and come back to the parks when they are managed better and invested in more wisely.

wtyy21

Oh dear!!

Who remembers when Illuminations 25 debuted and they changed it a few weeks after because it wasn't "Disney" enough..... can we get a reversal on that for the 50th?

EPCOT is such a unique place, it can tell a story without IP.... infact some of it just doesn't make sense at all here.... if you wanted to run with IP, make it relevant to the countries surrounding you.... unless we are getting a Greece pavilion for hercules to fit?

As I watched this show I thought it would be a great show for Lake Disney at DLP, or on the lake at Shanghai Disneyland. It would probably be a great end to the day outside of Hollywood Studios on the lake also. But it does not fit at EPCOT.

It doesn't tell a story, it doesn't conclude a day in the park in a way that says discovery, imagine or create. It doesn't instill an emotional feeling - its just a company reel of music and IP that doesn't need to be there.

I'm disappointed but I'm not surprised.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship; may you try and find joy from a different fireworks show, May you hope that things get better, May you tell your friends and family to save thier money and come back to the parks when they are managed better and invested in more wisely.
I suspected that "Disney Enchantment" will received mixed to negative reviews for storyline and positive reviews for technology that were utilized once the show premiers on September 30th because from the aspect of storyline, they will surprise that the 50th anniversary firework show at the MK were not focused on attractions and shows at WDW past and present as previously thought (akin to Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland). But from aspect of technology, the show will be excited because for the first time Magic Kingdom history, projections will be installed on Main Street.

GladToBeHear

I agree with so many sentiments here. (Glad I'm not alone.) And I really wanted to like this show -- as Epcot is still my favorite park. But I felt ZERO connection to this production. I'll refrain from using the "w" word -- but it just rang hollow for me.

LOVE the SE lighting though. That's a ten.

Sir_Cliff

While the WDWMagic footage was a lot better than that of DisneyParks Blog, I am puzzled by this one.

As everyone has said, there was no real narrative tying it together and the use of different language was just sort of there. The only time I thought it really had much of an impact was with Someday. Was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on at least trying to do something interesting within the IP mandate, but I don't think they really sold a message of global togetherness so much as Disney films.

On that note, I really find the use of giant screens and all of that lighting and fountain equipment on the lake super lazy and not that impressive. I completely see the appeal of the castle being transformed with projections, but what is impressive about a giant screen that's been sitting out in plain sight all day playing video clips?

For the most part, viewers are also going to be far away from them and most probably won't even have a clear view. I would have been more impressed if they had of come up with something that more successfully used the space of the lagoon. This is all rather contained in the middle. At least on video, the fountains also don't look particularly amazing.

The Coco and Dig A Little Deeper segments building up to Someday probably worked the best for me, but just because they were the most lively and seemed to have the most pyro. I think it is also telling that the most punch was packed by Someday when the screens largely faded into the background in favour of pyro, lights, laser, and music.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

All these fails lately, I can’t help think the teams wanted to do better but just had no more funding and had to make do. I just picture them begging higher ups for a bit more money to get things right and being told they can’t have one more cent and make it work.

I really hope this is era is a quick blip and the negative feedback makes them wake up.

cookiee_munster

All these fails lately, I can’t help think the teams wanted to do better but just had no more funding and had to make do. I just picture them begging higher ups for a bit more money to get things right and being told they can’t have one more cent and make it work.

I really hope this is era is a quick blip and the negative feedback makes them wake up.
I've just watched the Disneyparks preview over on PooTube and I feel like this isn't the case here. I think it's more of an issue with subtlety. I think they've tried to throw so much into the mix it's just become a barrage of noise and visuals that doesn't really give you time to properly take it in.

I think this is a case of them trying to impress, and I think they've gone way beyond that to the point where it's just too much. The show isn't awful. A lot of people will love it. But it's no Reflections of Earth either.

The idea of them mixing different vocals and languages really sounded quite interesting, but I feel like the music reminds me of someone who's brought a Disney's greatest hits album and just pressed skip through each track. Why they can't just pen a really great piece of music and not have to have it relate to every single Disney film that's been released, I'll never know. Well, I do know. This is where the teams really should have fought, more originality in regard to the music, and the less is more approach to the ridiculously massive barges and lighting package.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

I’m not sure some of these show blunders have anything to do with money because it’s the overall designs, flow, and imagination that is lacking. Now the kitetails show don’t even get me started…they may have been boxed in on that one but gah who thought that was a good idea should have been fired yesterday

We are losing the feel of Disney in so many different areas and it’s sad. Before so much was attention to details, and now it’s about what little can we do to get by

the problem is all the focus is on Wall Street instead of Main Street

castlecake2.0

I've just watched the Disneyparks preview over on PooTube and I feel like this isn't the case here. I think it's more of an issue with subtlety. I think they've tried to throw so much into the mix it's just become a barrage of noise and visuals that doesn't really give you time to properly take it in.

I think this is a case of them trying to impress, and I think they've gone way beyond that to the point where it's just too much. The show isn't awful. A lot of people will love it. But it's no Reflections of Earth either.

The idea of them mixing different vocals and languages really sounded quite interesting, but I feel like the music reminds me of someone who's brought a Disney's greatest hits album and just pressed skip through each track. Why they can't just pen a really great piece of music and not have to have it relate to every single Disney film that's been released, I'll never know. Well, I do know. This is where the teams really should have fought, more originality in regard to the music, and the less is more approach to the ridiculously massive barges and lighting package.
That’s what I mean though, I picture the producers being like “if we could just tweak this and re record that etc it would be perfect!” But they had no money left to do such thing. It’s like when they were working on black cauldron and eventually the higher ups were like “you have $0 left”. They wanted and knew they had things to fix but there was just no money left to do it.

castlecake2.0

I’m not sure some of these show blunders have anything to do with money because it’s the overall designs, flow, and imagination that is lacking. Now the kitetails show don’t even get me started…they may have been boxed in on that one but gah who thought that was a good idea should have been fired yesterday

We are losing the feel of Disney in so many different areas and it’s sad. Before so much was attention to details, and now it’s about what little can we do to get by
See my post above, and I agree, it’s sad. We have to hold them accountable and let them know this is ruining their brand.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
See my post above, and I agree, it’s sad. We have to hold them accountable and let them know this is ruining their brand.
I agree. Unfortunately part of me thinks they just don’t care as much anymore as long as they are still counting the same or more money at the end of the day.

take their crappy websites for example that crash all the time - they don’t care. There’s no excuse a company of that size can’t do better or plan better for high traffic but…why do they need to put more money into that when people still come and spend their money. It’s a sad state of affairs and trends I don’t like

CaptainAmerica

the problem is all the focus is on Wall Street instead of Main Street
I don't understand being upset about Kite Tails. It's not meant to be on par with a nighttime spectacular. It's a minor diversion.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't understand being upset about Kite Tails. It's not meant to be on par with a nighttime spectacular. It's a minor diversion.
I’m not comparing it to ROL (which I thought was lacking as well) it’s just a poorly designed thin element show on the cheap for a theater designed for something much much more. If they want to fly some of those kites randomly through the waterways of AK, Disney Springs, or Epcot, etc then ok that’s kinda cool but that show in my opinion is just such a bad idea and design and considering they have to crash some of the kites into the stands in front of the crowd.

Disney used to care about little details and the show and storytelling but it’s beginning to lack in a lot of what they do. Just my opinion though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom