News Magic Kingdom's Main Street Confectionery closing for refurbishment

Casper Gutman

You're describing Test Track 2.0. Everyone hates it.
I… don’t know what you’re saying here. I’m describing Walt Disney and, most clearly, EPCOT prior to its fall in the 90s.

If We Can Dream It, Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Tomorrow’s Child - all textbook examples of a prevalent mid-century ethos that also spawned the sponsorships.

Casper Gutman

Well, perhaps I'm just not a sugary sweets person. I get the impression most people on this thread seem far more down on M&Ms than Skittles!
Yeah, the M&Ms just seem pedestrian. The Skittles thing is really weird. It’s like they made a sponsorship deal with Perdue and insisted on putting chicken on the cupcakes. Skittles are not a baked good candy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know what people are expecting the inside of the store to look like, but if you wanted a replica of a 19th century 'main street' candy store, you'd have to visit a museum, not a Disney park.

Take, e.g., the Christmas store in Liberty Square. It is an impossibility since there were no Christmas stores in Colonial times and 99% of the merch in that store is from the modern era. But... it has a Colonial facade!

How about the giant mall on the other side of Main Street with Mickey shirts and other modern merch displayed and decorated like it was a modern store? Where are the complaints that it doesn't look like a ye olde general store on the inside?

How do you have a 19th century candy store interior design when you're selling modern confectionery? Should you be seeing Skittle bags and Milky Way bars in wooden barrels and wicker baskets?

At some point in a theme park you suspend your belief and disbelief and deal with modernity being wedged into a historical setting.

I'm not saying the store should look like it fits in Tomorrowland, but, just enough nods to Main Street in the furniture, architecture, and decorations is plenty for what it is.

UNCgolf

I don't know what people are expecting the inside of the store to look like, but if you wanted a replica of a 19th century 'main street' candy store, you'd have to visit a museum, not a Disney park.

Take, e.g., the Christmas store in Liberty Square. It is an impossibility since there were no Christmas stores in Colonial times and 99% of the merch in that store is from the modern era. But... it has a Colonial facade!

How about the giant mall on the other side of Main Street with Mickey shirts and other modern merch displayed and decorated like it was a modern store? Where are the complaints that it doesn't look like a ye olde general store on the inside?

How do you have a 19th century candy store interior design when you're selling modern confectionery? Should you be seeing Skittle bags and Milky Way bars in wooden barrels and wicker baskets?

At some point in a theme park you suspend your belief and disbelief and deal with modernity being wedged into a historical setting.

I'm not saying the store should look like it fits in Tomorrowland, but, just enough nods to Main Street in the furniture, architecture, and decorations is plenty for what it is.

The store across the street is absolutely terrible!

I don't think it's a mystery, nor is it hard to understand. People want the same type of theming Disney had in the past -- that was a big part of the appeal of the place to some of us. I don't expect an exact replica of a candy shop from 1905, but I also don't want to feel like I'm at a mall.

I'm not suggesting Disney was perfect in the past, or even always better in the past, but there's definitely a recent trend in both renovations and new builds towards modern spaces at the expense of theme.

Also ideally they wouldn't be selling Skittles and Milky Way bars at all (in the Main Street Confectionary that is).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom