Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

How are we ignoring it? What would you like the government to do? Ban all high calorie foods? Mandate exercise? Set a calorie intake limit? Maybe provide pre-selected food for all citizens? How would we go about making everyone healthy enough to survive covid? It doesn’t seem like something that can be easily done. What we can do right now is provide everyone with a free and safe vaccine.
Shaming and ostracizing does not work?

BrianLo

That’s good news! What were they at before the strain on the hospitals became so evident and the passport was announced?
Ontario is now at 86.5% with at least one dose and about 81% with both.

Nationally we're at 87.5% with first and 80.5% with both.

I think it went up about 4-5% depending on the demographics. There's actually quite a large spread between first and second doses here (85% versus 72%), but I guess that's because so many people suddenly went out to get their first.

I'm still waiting to see if my 3-4 week prediction on Canada hitting 90% holds out. I pulled it out of my behind, but it seems like we keep picking up 0.2% or so every day.

Disney Analyst

I think it went up about 4-5% depending on the demographics. There's actually quite a large spread between first and second doses here (85% versus 72%), but I guess that's because so many people suddenly went out to get their first.

I'm still waiting to see if my 3-4 week prediction on Canada hitting 90% holds out. I pulled it out of my behind, but it seems like we keep picking up 0.2% or so every day.

Can’t wait until we hit 90% ❤️

We’ve already had restaurants in BC who said they wouldn’t enforce the vax passport suddenly reverse course after two weeks and are now enforcing.

lewisc

How are we ignoring it? What would you like the government to do? Ban all high calorie foods? Mandate exercise? Set a calorie intake limit? Maybe provide pre-selected food for all citizens? How would we go about making everyone healthy enough to survive covid? It doesn’t seem like something that can be easily done. What we can do right now is provide everyone with a free and safe vaccine.
We could start by getting rid of the loopholes which exempts companies like Disney from having to disclose nutritional info on menus. Disney won't even supply carb info to diabetics who need that info to calculate insulin requirements

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Shaming and ostracizing does not work?
No apparently it doesn't. The delta wave rightly terrified a lot of people to get the shot. Numbers were going way up. Then all the mandates came out and numbers started to slump. The bast way to get someone to change their mind is not trying to force them.people were changing their minds on their own.

ohioguy

I'll stop yelling at the kids on my lawn in a minute, but allow me this one rant. I lived overseas for most of the period of 2008-2014, and I was sent to Afghanistan twice during that period. So, imagine my shock when I returned to the US in 2014 to find that the Taliban-style beard had become a popular fashion choice in the US (it wasn't in Europe at the time, at least when I lived there). This would be like WWII veterans returning home to find that German army uniforms were in style.

I thought, well, at least this look will probably die out soon... and yet here we are in 2021.

All right kids, I'm going back inside to watch Lawrence Welk on the television machine. You stay off my lawn!
That wasn't a Taliban-inspired beard; facial hair was inspired by the Duck Dynasty family and the like at that time.

Incomudro

Beat that drum every chance you get....
Absolutely.
Taking care of one's body should be our number one concern.
It's not surprising at all to me that this mild virus has done a number here in the US.
You guys can slap each other's backs about masks.
I'll carry the torch for being healthy.
Did you know Amercian's actually got MORE obese in the past year and a half with covid and lockdowns?
Should have taken this time to lose weight.
Instead they gained weight.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We could start by getting rid of the loopholes which exempts companies like Disney from having to disclose nutritional info on menus. Disney won't even supply carb info to diabetics who need that info to calculate insulin requirements
That is fine to do, but does that really address the issues we are having today with covid? Will Disney and other companies disclosing their nutritional information help to end this pandemic? I don’t have any problem with any efforts made to help people to be more healthy but when discussing it in a covid thread as a solution to the current problem it seems like it’s just a deflection away from actual plans to address the actual current issue.

DisneyCane

Here's a scary number. Breakthrough deaths among those who are fully vaccinated increased by 1,453 in 1 week. (Breakthrough hospitalizations increased by 1,893 over the same period.)

CDC data from September 13:

View attachment 588994

CDC data from September 20:

View attachment 588995
I'm guessing that the big jump in deaths in one week was due to backfilled reporting. I'm also not sure how complete this data is on either deaths or hospitalizations. They say it's from 50 states and territories but they don't say which are missing. Like I said a few weeks ago, Orange County, FL reported 41 breakthrough deaths in one week. Through this report the CDC is reporting 3,654 in the entire country since the vaccines were made available. It just doesn't add up to me that one medium sized county would have over 1% of the total breakthrough deaths for the entire country in one week.

But but I heard it here that only a fitted N95 worn properly would work. Anything less is useless?
Did they also consider the vaccination rates both of the adults and children 12+ in the comparisons? Also were there any differences in other mitigations such as ventilation or reduced classroom density? It is likely that places with school mask mandates are also "taking the virus more seriously" and therefore there may be other variables at play.

Incomudro

Unless you have a time machine it’s also completely irrelevant to our current situation. Nothing about that fact provides a solution out of the current situation. If the US is more susceptible to severe covid than other nations than we should be more eager than a lot of other places to vaccinate the entire population (including mandating vaccines if people aren’t going on their own) and also more inclined to have more temporary mitigations to protect ourselves since we are so much more vulnerable.
Irrrelvent?
How much weight could the average person have lost in the past year and a half? (they gained weight instead)
How about the children we love to carry on about?
How about not making them fat, and instead using this as a teaching method on how to live a health lifestyle so they will be better equipped to handle something like this in the future?
Additionally, it appears as though we are going to be living with this virus for quite some time - so we will have time to make these changes.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

It's also not always enough to keep from severe, long covid, or death. I know very fit healthy eaters in all 3 categories personally. People I feared would die were sometimes spared. So while sorta true, it's not entirely.
From anecdotal examples, this seems to have changed with Delta. With prior variants, it seemed that almost every younger person who died from COVID was either morbidly obese or had significant comorbidities. Recently, there are some who don't fit that profile. It's still the overwhelming majority but it seems Delta can cause more severe illness in mostly healthy, relatively fit people.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

On the vaccination front we‘ve reached 2/3 of adults fully vaccinated and 77% with at least one shot. 64.7% of eligible people fully vaccinated. Based on the pace of first shots the last few weeks we should hit 75% of adults fully vaccinated by the time the 5-11 age group is authorized. It’s a terribly slow pace but maybe it picks up a little in the coming weeks as more mandates start to kick in. I have seen first hand that most of the unvaccinated will get the shot shortly after a company announces a requirement even if it doesn’t kick in for weeks. Slow and steady.

View attachment 589354
I wonder what percentage who are forced to get vaccinated will opt for J&J. Anecdotal but it seems to be far less effective vs. Delta in preventing hospitalizations than the mRNA vaccines.

StarWarsGirl

So here's a real world scenario that we have literally been discussing ad nauseam here. I don't think it will change anyone's opinion on anything, but I'm sad and aggravated and need an outlet. My mother in law just died of Covid a few hours ago. She is in her late 70's. Lives with my father in law in a senior facility in Oklahoma. An employee tested positive for Covid. I do not know the employee's vaccination status. The facility immediately tested the entire resident population. Both of my parents in law tested positive. Both of them are vaccinated. (No boosters yet.) No symptoms for approximately 5 days after testing positive. On Wednesday my mother in law was transported to the hospital. Today she died. This is why it is absolutely necessary for the entire population to be vaccinated. I am sick of hearing folks wonder why I care if they are vaccinated, if the vaccine is so great. Implying that I should then be safe regardless because of my magic vaccine I'm promoting. Ignoring the mountains of logic and data showing how their lack of vaccination affects others. Many many others! The folks fighting for "personal freedom" don't seem to care if the vulnerable in our society die. I think they misinterpret "freedom" as "right to be a selfish ******* who only gets the benefits from society while feeling none of the responsibility." Maybe they will care when the kids start dying? I'm losing hope.
Joining in the stories here...

A friend of my grandma's, who had since moved to Florida, died of covid. Same thing, fully vaccinated. My aunt had been keeping in touch with him and he'd been hospitalized for several weeks with it. I don't think he was in a nursing home, just had underlying conditions. It's so awful for the families involved.

DisneyCane

I think Norway can be added to the list as they just lifted all restrictions
Norway has like 1/4 the population of FL. I don't think the comparison to the USA is really valid. Also, their seven day rolling average of cases is equivalent to around 2400 per day in FL which will be where FL is in a week or two if the trend continues. I don't think many on here will say that FL is handling the virus well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder what percentage who are forced to get vaccinated will opt for J&J. Anecdotal but it seems to be far less effective vs. Delta in preventing hospitalizations than the mRNA vaccines.
Depends on when the booster gets approved. Their new trial of 2 doses was about on par woth the mRNA vaccines for infection and hospitalization. The bigger question is when/if they add the boosters to the mandates. I assume it happens but the timing is unknown and considerimg they are recommending the booster 6+months after the original doses that means someone getting vaccinated today isn’t fully covered until March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom