Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

SuddenStorm

For what it's worth, a friend of a friend works Critter Country third shift attraction/animatronic maintenance.

From what they told my friend, there was no indication that WDI/TDA was planning a Splash retheme prior to the announcement- they didn't visit the attraction or land or anything and it caught the whole off guard.

And apparently it was a few months after the announcement that WDI actually started visiting the attraction. He said now they're out there with some regularity.

I'd take all of this with a grain of salt but it does line up with other rumors we've heard about the retheme over the last year.

Brer Panther

They had artwork made for it, that artwork wouldn't have been possible to create in the timeline of the petitions.
That concept art couldn't have taken too long to make. It was basically just an original piece of Splash Mountain concept art with blue paint and clipart of Tiana and Louis thrown in.
It was a concept but wasn't greenlit. I believe @TP2000 talked to an employee and found out that multiple "concepts" were proposed about a year before the announcement and that the petition caused them to quickly greenlight it.
I've heard a lot of conflicting things about behind-the-scenes goings-on regarding the retheme. Didn't @WDW Pro say that the retheme was greenlit out of fear of a Disney Plus boycott?
For what it's worth, a friend of a friend works Critter Country third shift attraction/animatronic maintenance.

From what they told my friend, there was no indication that WDI/TDA was planning a Splash retheme prior to the announcement- they didn't visit the attraction or land or anything and it caught the whole off guard.

And apparently it was a few months after the announcement that WDI actually started visiting the attraction. He said now they're out there with some regularity.

I'd take all of this with a grain of salt but it does line up with other rumors we've heard about the retheme over the last year.
This wouldn't happen to be the same friend who said that the retheme wasn't a done deal, would it? Not saying I don't believe you (believe me, I do), but that kind of falls into the conflicting things point I brought up above.

mickEblu

I can believe it. I think slowly over the last few years they started thinking Splash might be a problem. I can believe that at some point over the last few years they talked about some Blue sky PatF retheme and spit balling from imagineers trying to earn their pay check. However, I don’t think they ever took it serious enough to actually give Splash the ax… until BLM. At that point they decided to ride the wave and get ahead of the potential issue. It was going to take something big to get them to actually have the guts to get rid of Splash Mountain. BLM and the political climate in this country in 2020 was just the ticket. And I don’t doubt that being called out by whatever his name was on social media during a very sensitive time in this country had them panicking. It doesn’t seem very far fetched.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

Interesting.

Dear Prudence

Regardless of how anyone feels about Splash, the state of parts of Splash, as well as other attractions, is just unacceptable. It can be done. Tokyo's parks are immaculate. I spent 4 days also literally wading through trash.

mickEblu

There was trash literally everywhere. We kept getting trash stuck in the stroller wheels. I sat on discarded masks on every other ride . I've NEVER seen the parks this filthy.

Not saying you re lying but I find it really hard to believe as I was just there last week and didn’t notice trash anywhere

Dear Prudence

DLR Splash is going for a couple weeks of refurbishments in January/ February, which are going to be shorter than normal, but I wouldn't expect Splash to be going away even within the next year. Source: cast members on Wednesday night, when the attraction was shut down for the entire day.

Side note, Splash cast members are Skipper and canoe tier great people.

J4546

i rode splash yesterday (had a great day in CA/DL yesterday) and I sat in the front and got absolutely drenched. Every drop soaked me, I might as well have jumped in the water i was drenched and dripping wet for an hour afterwards and was mildly damp for the rest of the day (6-11pm)

worth it.

Dear Prudence

i rode splash yesterday (had a great day in CA/DL yesterday) and I sat in the front and got absolutely drenched. Every drop soaked me, I might as well have jumped in the water i was drenched and dripping wet for an hour afterwards and was mildly damp for the rest of the day (6-11pm)

worth it.
My clothes from one of the days hasn't dried yet. I've never gotten so wet on Splash in my entire life! Thankfully, everything was in baggies, but I can't say it wasn't fun!

Brer Panther

Somebody in the "Save Splash Mountain" group that I'm a fan of is claiming that they've already finished designs and new animatronics for the retheme. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Dear Prudence

Somebody in the "Save Splash Mountain" group that I'm a fan of is claiming that they've already finished designs and new animatronics for the retheme. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Disney has repeatedly demonstrated they have no idea what they're doing. I'd say no.

And, I mean, to be fair, anytime I see any exchanges between both pro and anti Splash people on social media, I think, wow, I need both sets of those people to get immediately away from me as soon as possible. Thank God for blocking features.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Disney has repeatedly demonstrated they have no idea what they're doing. I'd say no.

And, I mean, to be fair, anytime I see any exchanges between both pro and anti Splash people on social media, I think, wow, I need both sets of those people to get immediately away from me as soon as possible. Thank God for blocking features.
For real. Both sides get on my nerves.

Dear Prudence

I wish more pro-rethemers would understand that just because we don't want Splash Mountain to be rethemed doesn't mean that we're racist. Or that we dislike The Princess and the Frog.
I think calling everyone who is uncomfortable with the changes "racist" is a short hand for a lack of critical thinking. It's easy to proclaim such a fallacy with one's whole chest for some internet clout than to recognize this is complicated, emotional, and actually quite sad (especially since so many BIPOC have expressed discomfort over the change and how obsessed peopleare with Tiana with is some really disturbing tokenism). Because they don't actually care if it's bad or not, they just want to be able to lord fake superiority over other people. It's about their own massive egos. Because if they actually cared, they'd give the people whom this actually effects the space to talk about it, let alone breathe.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
There's a He Man meme that's like, "There's two kinds of people. Avoid both of them." And that's 100% the anti and pro Splash Mountain people in a nut shell.

It's just sad that we don't have Tony Baxter caliber and the kind of budget it needs to do a replacement justice.
Yes, agreed. One side loves to downplay the legitimate issues with SotS and gaslight others and the other side pretends they know what they’re talking about in terms of social issues and genuinely believe Disney’s choice comes from a genuine place of social justice, which is laughable.

Both are exhausting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom