Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

mikejs78

Premium Member
WOW!

You talking the Mountains or CoP and Tiki room?
What I hope to do:

Rope drop either SM or 7D

Then LL:
Big Thunder and Splash
Pirates and Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Peter Pan
Then a smattering of other attractions in Fantasy Land / Tomorrowland -
Let's say Buzz, Pooh, speedway, and small world...

The above would be very similar to what I used to do with FP+.

Casper Gutman

Will be interesting to see - I suspect there will be a decent amount of inventory given the rules involved and the fact that not nearly everyone will have this, so there will be a lot more supply. And since it's a paid service, Disney is incentivized to make it worthwhile.
Disney is not incentivized to make it worthwhile, they are incentivized to make in indispensable, which is not the same thing. They are incentivized to make it the only way to actually experience rides. I have absolutely no idea why people think a vast majority of guests won’t pay for Genie, given the huge push it’s going to get and the extent to which Disney has and will continue to set up and operate the park to force its use.

Folks, since Iger first decided to stop building rides, ignore competition, and concentrate on data collection and crowd management, THIS has been the endpoint. This is the Avengers: Endgame of the Disney Theme Park Universe, the crown jewel, the final destination. If a vast majority of guests aren’t paying, execs will be fired left and right. If it fails, the company will have to admit it’s been on the wrong track for a couple decades - how likely does that seem?

runnsally

By the time you tap into your 9am ride I’d be willing to bet the next time you will be able to get for a headliner will be 11am.
Of course all depends on utilization and allocation, but I tend to agree as folks will have started booking LLs at 7am.

nickys

Premium Member
This isn’t Fastpass+, so no you won’t have a Fastpass to multiple headliners before you even enter the park

and that’s a good thing in every way
You can book your first Genie+ at 7am that morning. And at 9am you can book another one. It isn’t clear yet whether you’d have to be in the park or whether it’s available at park opening. So technically you could have two Genie+ and also two LL+ rides lined up if you wanted to pay for them.

nickys

Premium Member
One still open question is when the 2 hour window starts when you select a LL pass with Genie+ at 7am. I would assume you have to be in the park to select #2 (although that hasn’t been clarified). Also, would the 2 hour window for your second selection really open at 9am, regardless of when the park opens? For an 11am Epcot opening, it’s doubtful they would allow you to pick one at 7am, another at 9am, then another as you walk into the park at 11am.
They have said you can book a second when the park opens. So no to booking a second one for Epcot at 9am if the park doesn’t open until 10 or 11am. They haven’t clarified if you have to be in the park to book a second one yet, but on the first day of operation we’ll know for sure if they don’t clarify it earlier. Or unless a CM posts on here.

nickys

Premium Member
Will be interesting to see - I suspect there will be a decent amount of inventory given the rules involved and the fact that not nearly everyone will have this, so there will be a lot more supply. And since it's a paid service, Disney is incentivized to make it worthwhile.
I think this depends on how people book a WDW vacation. What proportion staying onsite book a package, and will the default option to choose be to include Genie+ or not?

I’m also interested to see if the U.K. tickets start either automatically including it, or at least make it a default option. Obviously there are thousands who have already booked for next year, who will be offered it as an add-on no doubt. Traditionally the U.K. tickets have automatically included everything - water parks plus, memory maker etc. But it would push up the cost drastically if they do include it.

The numbers getting it ultimately depends on the marketing. And of course they can have CMs in the parks with iPads to sell it those guests who see people using the LL lanes and decide they’ll buy it to do the same.

Muffinpants

What's with folks bashing others about the way they wish the system would work and hope it fits there ideal days. Don't we all wish that? Alot of family's go back for a mid day break heck most guides say to get outta the park around 1-2 because it's hot and to many people. Also alot of family's pack lunch or go back and cook if they are at dvc. This is not weird or new.

Waters Back Side

What's with folks bashing others about the way they wish the system would work and hope it fits there ideal days. Don't we all wish that? Alot of family's go back for a mid day break heck most guides say to get outta the park around 1-2 because it's hot and to many people. Also alot of family's pack lunch or go back and cook if they are at dvc. This is not weird or new.
Agreed. When it comes to Disney there really is no wrong way. You do you and do what works best for you and your family. Only rule of thumb if it's not a 1 or 2 night trip is to do all 4 parks. Lol.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Totally agree - in fact that's generally what my family does (although we usually stay until about 2 (except one day where we usually stay for the parade), relax at the hotel, then come back for the evening.

Waters Back Side

I'm curious as to if a resort guest was to add Genie + in advance onto their vacation package if they pay it all at once on the spot like photo pass or of it will be like the dining plan where they tell you how much more it will cost and you can have it added to your balance to be paid off with everything else 30 days in advance or (for those who are less then 30 days out from their trip) pay it off before arrival.

I know Photopass can be purchased up to 3 days before if you want all photos for the entire vacation included. Otherwise you can technically purchase it separate as an add on and pay for it in full at the time any time before arrival. Wondering if Genie + will be the same for those who choose to buy ot for the length of stay for their park days.

Missyrosek

I highly doubt we will see any discounts on Genie+/LL. Mainly because if Disney is using them for yield management, there are market manipulations Disney can make that aren't a blanket "X person gets $2 off for doing Y." Disney does not want this to be straightforward in any way. That is a feature, not a bug.

SteveAZee

Disney is not incentivized to make it worthwhile, they are incentivized to make in indispensable, which is not the same thing. They are incentivized to make it the only way to actually experience rides. I have absolutely no idea why people think a vast majority of guests won’t pay for Genie, given the huge push it’s going to get and the extent to which Disney has and will continue to set up and operate the park to force its use.

Folks, since Iger first decided to stop building rides, ignore competition, and concentrate on data collection and crowd management, THIS has been the endpoint. This is the Avengers: Endgame of the Disney Theme Park Universe, the crown jewel, the final destination. If a vast majority of guests aren’t paying, execs will be fired left and right. If it fails, the company will have to admit it’s been on the wrong track for a couple decades - how likely does that seem?
There's going to be a balance, right? If a G+ purchase doesn't gain fast access because everyone's buying it, then it has indeed failed because the next day, no one will buy it. I would guess that (Dual Income, No Kids) will buy it for all days, some small families will buy it here and there, and larger single-income families who may be on the lower end of the income spectrum may tough it out on the standby lines with one or two exceptions. Some irony in that the people most in need of NOT standing in long lines with their kids probably won't/can't pay for G+ or IAS... something they could somewhat easily access with the free FP+ system.

It seems clear what demo Disney is targeting and they'll want positive reports going back to media, friends, and neighbors about G+ and IAS so they'll skew that as much as possible in the beginning. I'm guessing there'll be the inevitable creep of allowing more and more G+ people into LL to make more $ and dilute the value of it for guests, since that seems to be how Disney operates. I'm guessing that G+ and IAS will be good for those who use it in the next few years, but then...

doctornick

Of course all depends on utilization and allocation, but I tend to agree as folks will have started booking LLs at 7am.
I might be misremembering but I thought only IAS can be booked at 7am for resort guests. Don’t the “regular” LL times acquired via Genie+ start at park opening for everyone?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I might be misremembering but I thought only IAS can be booked at 7am for resort guests. Don’t the “regular” LL times acquired via Genie+ start at park opening for everyone?
Correct. From my FAQ:

Disney Genie+ [DG+$]
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LLs]
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.
    • You don't have to be in the park in which your next LL is scheduled (so, you can chose your LL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop)

Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (IA$)
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase IA$ at 7am day-of.
  • Non-resort-guests at WDW, and everyone at DL, have to wait until the park opens to buy their IA$.
  • You don't have to be in the park in which your IA$ is scheduled
    • this way, you can chose your IA$ at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop

Trauma

Correct. From my FAQ:

Disney Genie+ [DG+$]
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LLs]
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.
    • You don't have to be in the park in which your next LL is scheduled (so, you can chose your LL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop)

Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (IA$)
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase IA$ at 7am day-of.
  • Non-resort-guests at WDW, and everyone at DL, have to wait until the park opens to buy their IA$.
  • You don't have to be in the park in which your IA$ is scheduled
    • this way, you can chose your IA$ at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop
So it’s says all guests can schedule their first LL at 7am.

How is that needing to wait until park open?

This whole thing is needlessly confusing.

Does Disney expect the demand for IA$ to be so high that you need to wake up at 7am to buy your way onto a ride?

I don’t understand how that’s a benefit.

Hey everyone paying insane room rates, you get to wake up early on your vacation to pay extra to ride the stuff you used to ride for free!!

If I’m going to pay $100 extra to ride a freaking ride, I want to be standing in front of it with my family, I press a button, I’m on the ride 3 minutes later.

homerdance

I don’t think you fully understand how this system or any similar system that came before functions.

Again it will always be the next available time. There is no built in waiting time and never has been.
You mean every system before it that was included in your ticket purchase and not an add on with the CEO stating the only desired outcome is to improve yield management.

I liked FP+ because it worked well as a non local who planned my visits well in advance. It was a perfect system. And based on the truly “unprecedented demand “ pre-pandemic I can confidently say, I am not the only one.

So now Disney has the head of their company pretty much bragging that they are able to nickel and dime their biggest fans and increase the cost of everything so he can go on to live like a king in his $13,000,000 house. I am sorry I still think this new system stinks and those defending are either being paid by Disney or just don’t get it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom